P&b Running Club

I ran the Hamilton 5K on Saturday in roughly 21mins 30secs. I am getting closer to my target of sub-20min. I was actually on target for the 20mins for the first 4k but couldnt despite getting caught behind an idiot at the starting line that wouldn't get the out of my way.

Pleased with my time as I was hungover!

Edited by diamonds2002

I ran the Hamilton 5K on Saturday in roughly 21mins 30secs. I am getting closer to my target of sub-20min. I was actually on target for the 20mins for the first 4k but couldnt despite getting caught behind an idiot at the starting line that wouldn't get the out of my way.

Pleased with my time as I was hungover!

Well done. My best time for a 5K is 22'08". Admittedly that's using the Nike+ thing so it's not wholly accurate, and that was along the Canal, so it's a straight path all the way :lol:

Speaking of which, does anyone use a GPS watch? My folks are looking in to getting me one for Christmas. Was wondering what people's experience of them was. Seem to be a hell of a lot more accurate than a pedometer (rightly so, I'd guess).

Well done. My best time for a 5K is 22'08". Admittedly that's using the Nike+ thing so it's not wholly accurate, and that was along the Canal, so it's a straight path all the way :lol:

Speaking of which, does anyone use a GPS watch? My folks are looking in to getting me one for Christmas. Was wondering what people's experience of them was. Seem to be a hell of a lot more accurate than a pedometer (rightly so, I'd guess).

The Garmin Forerunner 305 is excellent. Its not the latest and greatest so should be able to pick one up on Ebay for 100 quid or so. Functionality wise, its much the same as the new one apart from size, the new one is not as bulky.

With software you can upload your runs into Google Maps, etc.

I'm trying to get the wife to get me one for Xmas.

There were a number of them on display on Sunday especially with the club runners. Capt Sensible uses a garmin by the looks of it

Was out for my first run of the new regime there- didn't bother taking the Nike+ chip as my trainers are Asics and I haven't got the wee pouch yet. Just did some interval runs round Victoria Park, feel quite good now but expect to be like the tin man tomorrow.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 205.

The 305 has a heart rate monitor whereas the 205 doesn't - and is therefore cheaper.

The new Forerunner 405 looks more like a watch than the 205/305 which are a bit chunky - but they do the job. You will get a 205 on the net quite cheaply now.

Its very accurate and has been crucial for my training and racing. It tells you what pace you are going at (although that can be a bit dodgy - but gives you a rough idea) , how far you have gone and how fast. It is also brilliant for interval workouts.

I ran 18 miles today - and it measured every single mile split where I expected it to.

I ran the 18 miles in 2 hours and 7 mins exactly. My mile splits (in mins per mile) were:

1. 7:34

2. 7:17

3. 7:11

4. 7:21

5. 7:15

6. 7:18

7. 7:11

8. 7:05

9. 7:10

10. 7:12

11. 6:59

12. 6:53

13. 6:47

14. 6:38

15. 6:41

16. 6:49

17. 7:10

18. 6:31

Overall average pace was 7:03 mins per mile which I am very please about. Need to run at 6:53 to run a sub 3 hour marathon which is my primary target. Would like to get to 2 hrs 55 mins though which would be 6:40. Today's run was very comfortable, easy on the way out and quickened on the way back with a fast last mile. Legs feel fine and ready for a good week ahead.

5 more possible long runs before the Luton Marathon in November. Not sure if that's enough. I need to get to a 23 mile long run at a pace similar to above - and even then I wouldn't be 100% sure of breaking 3 hours. May just need to bide my time until Locharber or Edinburgh next year.

5 more possible long runs before the Luton Marathon in November. Not sure if that's enough. I need to get to a 23 mile long run at a pace similar to above - and even then I wouldn't be 100% sure of breaking 3 hours. May just need to bide my time until Locharber or Edinburgh next year.

I wouldn't have thought a Luton Marathon would be PB material. I'd imagine it could be a very undulating course. Certainly the area near the airport is. PubCarKing is your man to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
partly and the fact that I go in the morning. It is dark at 6-30 and getting out of bed is too hard when the sun isnt up.

Too dark when I get up, too dark when I get home.

Driving in and out of Edinburgh means I don't have the same time or energy as I did earlier this year. It also means I can't be arsed at the weekends as the stuff I would have done during the week get's left till then.

Seriously need to get my arse in gear.

I can't go out in the morning for at least an hour after I wake up. No energy.

I always go out last thing in the evening.

prefer the mornings as it doesnt eat into my day. The difference in getting up 30/45 minutes early doesnt make a difference unless it is pitch black outside and you hear the wind and rain pounding the window

How accurate does the Nike + thingy claim to be? I supposedly ran 5k last night (in 23m23s, fact fans) but on checking with mapmyrun.com it was only 4.7, which is quite a way out.

The 1k I used to calibrate it always comes up as just a few metres out so I thought it would be pretty spot on, but the route I used is flat, dunno whether that makes any difference.

I prefer going in the evenings, just after my work. I'm not a morning person at all.