P&b Running Club

I did my first 10k on saturday and I reckon I came in around the 45 minute mark. (No official time yet)

Absolutely delighted with that I was confident of going sub 50mins and aiming at 48mins.

Excellent mate.

I'm delighted with my 54 minutes for it I set the other night, as that was running myself and taking it relatively easy, so I'm confident that the increased mental strength you get from running in a group would take me down to nearer 50 minutes.

I'm not sure what sort of distance my running would cover.

I'm splitting it between running flat out for a lap and then walking for a lap so it doesn't really mean a lot to look at the overall distance.

Averaging between 20 and 30 mins and on the flat out laps I'm really pushing myself.

Tipping the scales at below 80kg for the first time for as long as I can remember.

I'm not sure what sort of distance my running would cover.

I'm splitting it between running flat out for a lap and then walking for a lap so it doesn't really mean a lot to look at the overall distance.

Averaging between 20 and 30 mins and on the flat out laps I'm really pushing myself.

Tipping the scales at below 80kg for the first time for as long as I can remember.

I've managed to drop from 13'7" to 13'0" in the past month, so delighted with that.

Are you still just sticking to the treadmill? When I switched from treadmill to actual running I found my times were faster and I could go for longer, just for the reason I wasn't standing looking at the same bit of wall for half an hour.

Excellent mate.

I'm delighted with my 54 minutes for it I set the other night, as that was running myself and taking it relatively easy, so I'm confident that the increased mental strength you get from running in a group would take me down to nearer 50 minutes.

cheers

I makes a difference with others around you - helped me focus and just aimed to keep up with a club runner

I've managed to drop from 13'7" to 13'0" in the past month, so delighted with that.

Are you still just sticking to the treadmill? When I switched from treadmill to actual running I found my times were faster and I could go for longer, just for the reason I wasn't standing looking at the same bit of wall for half an hour.

I've lost around 7 or 8kg since the start of July, I was about 87-88kg at the beginning and number now stands around 79.5. I only do it in kg cos that's what my scales weigh in.

I'm still just on the treadmill, varying the pace hugely to keep it interesting and make sure it's a very tough 20-30 minutes.

I've signed up for boot camp starting a week today, it's an hour 3 times a week, 730pm on a Monday and Wednesday and 730am on a Friday morning.

I believe it's a general workout on a Monday and Wednesday and it's the dreaded run on a Friday. Temperature will be around 90 degrees even at those times and the beach will be tough.

Ran home from work this evening 8.5 miles and I'm chuffin knackered.

Wasnt a very good time (1hr:26mins - pretty poor) but I wasnt trying for speed. Only the second time Ive done it and unlike last time I didnt have to stop. Was also quite hot.

Very pleased. 8.5 not bad after a day at work. :)

I do lots of running and have been running in my indoor football shoes for a few years which are flat soled, I was thinking in finally getting an actual decent pair of running shoes. I was thinking in getting the Nike+, what are they like if anyone got them? What other shoes you recommend?

Asics are my favourite running shoes.

I had the most bizarre dream last night/this morning. I was doing an 8km race in the Olympics and I was rubbish - everyone else was running twice as fast as me, so after a couple of laps I pretended to fall over and that I was injured just so I could save face... How odd.

I do lots of running and have been running in my indoor football shoes for a few years which are flat soled, I was thinking in finally getting an actual decent pair of running shoes. I was thinking in getting the Nike+, what are they like if anyone got them? What other shoes you recommend?

If you are going to get some running shoes it is a good idea to go to a proper running shop (plenty of them about) and they can tell what kind of shoe would be best for your. I need a slightly structured shoe because I run on the outside of my foot and then it rolls slightly. Mine are also Asics (just finished with a pair of nike)

The nike + has been excellent for me - I have found it has given me extra motivation and means that you can monitor your progress alot better. Combine it with a decent training programme and it really can help. You dont have to go for the ipod version and they now do a sportband watch but I like training with music

I did my first 10k on saturday and I reckon I came in around the 45 minute mark. (No official time yet)

Absolutely delighted with that I was confident of going sub 50mins and aiming at 48mins.

Official Time was 45mins 23secs for the 10k (45mins 45secs from the starting gun).

Next target is to get sub 45mins.

Application is off for the 10k in Cumbernauld on 14th September

Asics are my favourite running shoes.
If you are going to get some running shoes it is a good idea to go to a proper running shop (plenty of them about) and they can tell what kind of shoe would be best for your. I need a slightly structured shoe because I run on the outside of my foot and then it rolls slightly. Mine are also Asics (just finished with a pair of nike)

The nike + has been excellent for me - I have found it has given me extra motivation and means that you can monitor your progress alot better. Combine it with a decent training programme and it really can help. You dont have to go for the ipod version and they now do a sportband watch but I like training with music

My PT said Asics are a really good running shoe so might have a look at them.

Cheers diamonds2002, are you able to get like the iPod attachment without the Nike+ shoe and attach it to the laces on an Asics shoe for example? The whole iPod thing is the real drawcard for me for the Nike+.

My PT said Asics are a really good running shoe so might have a look at them.

Cheers diamonds2002, are you able to get like the iPod attachment without the Nike+ shoe and attach it to the laces on an Asics shoe for example? The whole iPod thing is the real drawcard for me for the Nike+.

you can buy a wee pouch thing at most running stores or online. works for me!

I must admit, I'm quite interested in the Nike+ thing but I haven't a scooby about it. Currently I track my runs on Google Maps and use a cheap digital watch as a stopwatch :lol:

Could someone give me an idiot's guide to it?

I have a 6th Gen iPod Classic if that's any help.

Edited by Gaz

I must admit, I'm quite interested in the Nike+ thing but I haven't a scooby about it. Currently I track my runs on Google Maps and use a cheap digital watch as a stopwatch :lol:

Could someone give me an idiot's guide to it?

I have a 6th Gen iPod Classic if that's any help.

You need an iPod nano (eaither kind)

The Nike+ sports kit (a transmitter to place in your shoe and a receiver to plug into the nano)

You find a route you know to be one mile/km long to calibrate the device (by running the mile and also walking the mile, although it is pretty damn accuratly pre-calibrated already).

You can set the iPod to record your performance over a set distance, time or calories burned. At various points you will get updates via your headphones (ie "3 miles complete" or "200m to go"). You can press the middle button at anytime to get an update on your performance. Alternatively you can go on a free run where you get no updates but it still records all your data etc. As well as creating specific playlists to help with your training (if you like to listen to music as you run) you can set a Powersong. This is the track that you know gives you that extra boost. If you feel you need it you press and hold the centre button and it will start.

If you manage a milstone (fastest mile, longest run etc) Lance Armstrong or Paula Radcliffe congratualte you :rolleyes:

You record your data when you synch your iPod with iTunes. The run data is sent to your own page at Nike+. Your run is plotted out on a distance vs time graph and is broken down with indicators at every mile/km. It also plots if you used your powersong and you can see if you ran any faster. It's here that you can join and create challanges. For example, I joined the BUPA Edinburgh Great Run challenge and won a place in the race by finishing in the top 25 runners with the most miles.

You can set yourself challenges as well ie Run 50 times on 2 months, run 10 times under x pace in a month etc It's up to you. When you win challenges you get little medals, trophies and race bibs (virtual of course) to view on your page.

Now that I've typed that all out I feel right in the mood to get back into my running.