P&b Running Club

Went for my first ever run today. Not sure how far it was but lasted about an hour and it almost killed me .

I usaully smoke about twenty a day and have not done any exercise for years. Been gradualy building up to it though , down to 5 ciggies a day and have been doing a lot of walking the last few weeks in preperation.

Apart from a few aches ,i feel quite good about the whole thing . Think I might do it again tomorrow.

An hour on your first run? :huh:

I ran for about 15 mins on my first ever run about 4 years ago and that included some walking in the middle. I thought I was dying of an asthma attack at the end..... and I played 5s once a week!

Well done, an hour is very impressive. As someone has mentioned though, take it easy. Don't try and do too much too soon.

My training log shows I've ran 1,200 miles exactly today since the 7th Jan this year. I've stepped up my training over the past 3 weeks and have averaged just under 11 miles a day over the past 17 days. Getting in as much training as possible before I go on 2 weeks holidays on Sunday. Want to be ready for the Aug/Sept races. :D

I had a 3 mile run this morning (as part of a training programme to help build speed) and although I thought I was going to die I am already starting to get faster after 1 week. Well chuffed.

Edited by diamonds2002

Sadly due to a death in the family my running has gone all to f**k, so the emphasis has changed from distance to high intensity interval training. Only managed 2 sessions so far but im loving it and after a 15 minute session I'm absolutely banjoed but that was an hour and a half ago and I feel absolutely brilliant. Apparently I'm still burning calories.

I'm going on holiday 2 weeks tomorrow so I'm planning on absolutely blitzing this with occasional PHA training in the gym, then next month I'll have a proper go at this Nike Plus challenge.

FYI - HIIT and PHA

I'm going on holiday 2 weeks tomorrow so I'm planning on absolutely blitzing this with occasional PHA training in the gym, then next month I'll have a proper go at this Nike Plus challenge.

I have New Balance trainers. I take it that means I can't do the Nike Plus challenge?

Stuff the sensor under the tongue of your shoe. As long as it's relatively flat and apple logo side up it works fine for me - although granted it won't be as accurate.

I have NB trainers aswell and I wouldn't change them for the world at the moment, they're too comfy.

I have NB trainers aswell and I wouldn't change them for the world at the moment, they're too comfy.

I've got really broad feet, so basically went into greaves and asked for the broadest pair they had. My shoes are absolutely massive in breadth and height, but they are comfort personified.

I've got really broad feet, so basically went into greaves and asked for the broadest pair they had. My shoes are absolutely massive in breadth and height, but they are comfort personified.

If you post your nike plus user name I can add you to the challenges

Anyone run the Glasgow Green 5k last night? I managed it in 24.08, pretty pleased best run so far. Official results not out yet.

The layout of the run though, meant you passed each other in a loop, anyway, the leaders were so far ahead of the rest. Not sure of the winning time, but extremely impressive running I thought! Brilliant!

I had a note of it on my list of potential runs but it came at the wrong time in my training.

This was a jogscotland event wasnt it? What was the organisation like?

Aye was well organised mate. About a 1000 runners. Timed using the chips, goodie bag at end, chocolate, water, banana, t-shirt, the usual stuff. Run was entirely within park. They had a burger van which I thought was very Glasgow! :-)

I enjoyed it, next up Glasgow 10k in Sep, I think....I'll need to have a dig around and find some other runs, Cumbernauld, Paisley....?

Started running between Burntisland (where i live) and Aberdour. Usually do 3.4 miles each way (This may be utter bullshit, using google earth to measure distances lol) most days which takes me anything between 15 minutes and 45 secs to 19 minutes. Often how well (or badly) i do is due what has been eaten beforehand. Anyway, gone from 15st 5 to 12st2 since the start of January and running and dietary change has helped me a lot. I've had a lot of problems with my family and things and running is a brilliant way of getting out the house and feeling away from it all. :)

Started running between Burntisland (where i live) and Aberdour. Usually do 3.4 miles each way (This may be utter bullshit, using google earth to measure distances lol) most days which takes me anything between 15 minutes and 45 secs to 19 minutes. Often how well (or badly) i do is due what has been eaten beforehand. Anyway, gone from 15st 5 to 12st2 since the start of January and running and dietary change has helped me a lot. I've had a lot of problems with my family and things and running is a brilliant way of getting out the house and feeling away from it all. :)

Thats some good work. Times are pretty fast for a 3.5 mile run as well.

I went running tonight for the first time in ages. Did 5 miles or so. I struggled for the first mile, but after that, I got into a rhythm and felt brilliant. Feeling rather pleased with myself. :)

Getting into the running now after the first attempt a couple of weeks ago. I have managed about 20 minutes everyday for the last week or so and can feel the improvment already. Not as short for breath as what I was when I had my first run, manageing to keep a steady pace , down to 2 ciggies a day , but the problem is my knees are killing me . Every morning i wake up and feel pain and stiffness in them and it takes a good hour before I can get them working the way they should be. Someone suggested to me its because im running on a concrete track , any truth in this ? or am i just doing to much to soon ?

Edited by mungo

Getting into the running now after the first attempt a couple of weeks ago. I have managed about 20 minutes everyday for the last week or so and can feel the improvment already. Not as short for breath as what I was when I had my first run, manageing to keep a steady pace , down to 2 ciggies a day , but the problem is my knees are killing me . Every morning i wake up and feel pain and stiffness in them and it takes a good hour before I canshrug of the stiffness. Someone suggested to me its because im running on a concrete track , any truth in this ? or am i just doing to much to soon ?

As soon as yo get in from a run take a bath (yes,this is ironic from a Fifer) with some herbal remedies. Deep heat cream may work for muscles. The more you do the more you improve. Just keep taking steps. Good to hear though.