P&b Running Club

I have read that the plastic pods (£4/5)you get are prone to breaking, falling off or popping open, thus losing your transmitter. You can get a pouch (£12/13) that attaches to your laces and the transmitter is placed in a zipped compartment that seems to fair much better. You can get both on Amazon.

I have posted a link to a company that has produced an multi layered insole that you mould yourself. I think you remove the existing insole, heat the new insole up, insert the transmitter compartment into the insole and place in the shoe. It then moulds to the contours of your foot and once it has set you can place the transmitter in and place the top layer of insole on the top to keep the transmitter in place. This seems to be the best as the transmitter works better if it's striking the ground rather than dangling off your foot.

I have no idea of the price (you may be better off trying running shops for soem Nike trainers as they always seem to have sales on at any given time) but I'll fish out the post for you.

EDIT: Pouches

I think Watty's your man IIRC.

EDIT 2: Insoles

Look like everyone's Garmin watches measured the Edinburgh Marathon out at 26.48 miles! I need to recalibrate my iPod as I recorded 25.80 miles!!! This means I was running further than I thought during my training.

I use a little Nike Trainer Pouch i got in the Nike Store, its a bit big but i stuff some tissue into it so the sensor is held in place. My mate uses a stanley knife to cut a slit in the tongue of his trainer then sticks the sensor into the tongue of his trainers.

If i was going to buy an alternative now i'd get one of these dudes Marware Nike Plus Sensor Holder. Here's what it looks like in situ Marware Nike+ Holder Example

Here to help.

Edited by Watty

I use a little Nike Trainer Pouch i got in the Nike Store, its a bit big but i stuff some tissue into it so the sensor is held in place. My mate uses a stanley knife to cut a slit in the tongue of his trainer then sticks the sensor into the tongue of his trainers.

If i was going to buy an alternative now i'd get one of these dudes Marware Nike Plus Sensor Holder. Here's what it looks like in situ Marware Nike+ Holder Example

Here to help.

Cheers Watty - I like your mates style!

Look like everyone's Garmin watches measured the Edinburgh Marathon out at 26.48 miles! I need to recalibrate my iPod as I recorded 25.80 miles!!! This means I was running further than I thought during my training.

I use the Garmin Forerunner 50 which is a footpod based speed and distance monitor and it measured it at 25.70 miles. I've never calibrated it though so maybe I should now.

What's the next race that you're doing?

I'm doing the MHFS 10K on the 15th of June. I think the Captain is doing this as well. My current pb for 10K is 42:39 but i'm hoping to bring this down a bit closer to the 40 minute mark, if not below.

After that i've nothing else planned for the summer. I wouldn't mind doing a half marathon in maybe July or August. Has anyone run either the Helensburgh half or the Haddington half? Or does anyone have any suggestions for any other decent half marathons?

I was thinking of the MHFS race but it's the day after the P&B night out, so I think the next 10K I'm doing is the Fresh n' Lo Great Scottish Run in September.

f**k it, i'm away ti start running, i'll egt masel some decent trainers for running and for the gym, it is time i shed my weight, i plan on doing a 10k near xmas time if there is one on up here and plan to one next year.

There is the Glasgow half - quite a big event

Yeh, I know. The problem with that one is that my wife is due to give birth at the end of August. :D She wouldn't be too happy with me buggering off to do a race and leave her with a newborn and a 2 year old to look after. If I did enter it she'd probably cross her legs until the night before as well :lol: :lol:

What's the next race that you're doing?

I'm doing the MHFS 10K on the 15th of June. I think the Captain is doing this as well. My current pb for 10K is 42:39 but i'm hoping to bring this down a bit closer to the 40 minute mark, if not below.

After that i've nothing else planned for the summer. I wouldn't mind doing a half marathon in maybe July or August. Has anyone run either the Helensburgh half or the Haddington half? Or does anyone have any suggestions for any other decent half marathons?

I am indeed doing the MHFS 10k.

This is my plan for the rest of the year:

Thurs 5th June - Dumbarton 10k

Thurs 12th June - Rouken Glen 5k (There is a 10k as well)

Sun 15th June - MHFS 10k, Bellahouston Park

Sun 22 June - East Kilbride Half Marathon (There is a 10k as well)

Sun 3 Aug - Helensburgh Half Marathon

Sun 17 Aug - Bellahouston 5k

Wed 20th Aug - Irvine 10k

Sun 30th Aug - Paisley 10k

Sun 7th Sept - Glasgow Half Marathon (There is a 10k as well)

Sun 14th Aug - Stirling 10k

Sun 7th Dec - Luton Marathon

There are some others but I probably won't do them:

Sun 29th June - Arran Half Marathon

Sun 10th Aug - Forth Road Bridge 10k & Perth 10k

Sun 14th Sept - Cumbernauld 10k

Sun 21st Aug - Linlithgow 10k

Sun 19th Oct - Scone Palace 10k

Sun 26th Oct - Strathclyde Park 10k

There are numerous others but these are all the ones I'm considering. For example there is the Inverness Marathon & Half Marathon in October. How many races I do depends on whether I intend to go for the Luton Marathon or not.

If anyone wants any info on these races or where to enter, etc, send me a PM and I'll give you a pointer.

Sun 22 June - East Kilbride Half Marathon (There is a 10k as well)

Sun 3 Aug - Helensburgh Half Marathon

If anyone wants any info on these races or where to enter, etc, send me a PM and I'll give you a pointer.

Have you done any of these two halfs before?

East Kilbride might be a bit too soon but Helensburgh might be a race i'd go for.

Sun 14th Aug - Stirling 10k

Sun 14th Sept - Cumbernauld 10k

Sun 21st Aug - Linlithgow 10k

Sun 26th Oct - Strathclyde Park 10k

These all sound good and fairly local.

I fancy doing a 10K every month for the next year, get my weight and time down.

Have you done any of these two halfs before?

East Kilbride might be a bit too soon but Helensburgh might be a race i'd go for.

I did East Kilbride last year in 1:29:48. It was only my second HM after doing the Glasgow HM the previous September in over 1:46.

I've already entered it this year and my aim is to go under 1:24. There were well over 600 entrants last year in the HM and there is a 10k race which goes on at the same time. The HM just does two laps of the circuit.

Its not as flat as you'd think as it takes long inclines and declines to and from the underpasses to the roundabouts!

Its a good race and I'd recommend it.

I didn't do Helensburgh last year but hope to do it this year.

I quite fancy the Perth 10k in August, simply because I think I'll just about be at that level by then. Here's hoping!

I've never ran the Perth 10K but at a race last year I was speaking to woman who has done it. She said that it starts in the centre (maybe the South Inch) and then goes up the hill heading towards the Broxden roundabout which will be an absolute killer!!! Ok on the way back down though, if you're still standing!

I was under the impression that it started at the North Inch and went round both it and the South Inch, plus a little bit more. South Inch + North Inch alone without any extra is between 6 and 7 km anyawy!

I did East Kilbride last year in 1:29:48. It was only my second HM after doing the Glasgow HM the previous September in over 1:46.

I've already entered it this year and my aim is to go under 1:24. There were well over 600 entrants last year in the HM and there is a 10k race which goes on at the same time. The HM just does two laps of the circuit.

Its not as flat as you'd think as it takes long inclines and declines to and from the underpasses to the roundabouts!

Its a good race and I'd recommend it.

I didn't do Helensburgh last year but hope to do it this year.

I've signed up for the EK 10k. My first race. Looking forward to it. I'd like to get low 50min....but I suspect I'll be between 55 and 60. I'm running 5.1 miles in 45 mins at the moment. That was after not running for over a week too. Need to keep training now...Is the 10k hilly? :(

As an aside, my Nike+ sportband is not measuring correct distances....not calibrated it though. Its consistent overmeasure, ie. 5.1 miles recorded as 5.47. 2.5 miles as 2.67miles. Anyone else got one?