P&b Running Club

I intend to qualify for next year's London Marathon by running sub 3 hours at Edinburgh this year, thereby bypassing the ballot. B)

You're football patter is guff, but your running patter is quite good.

Saw a 64 year old being interviewed after London today. He missed an automatic place in next years by 30 seconds. :(

He was gutted.

I am going to enter next years race, as I have started running again and am quite enjoying it.

I take it you normally need to enter for a few years before getting a place or is it just your donald?

You're football patter is guff, but your running patter is quite good.

Saw a 64 year old being interviewed after London today. He missed an automatic place in next years by 30 seconds. :(

He was gutted.

I am going to enter next years race, as I have started running again and am quite enjoying it.

I take it you normally need to enter for a few years before getting a place or is it just your donald?

Just your donald luck. I think the odds of getting in are around 1/5 although if you have 5 rejections then you're guaranteed a place.

My mate Jamie managed to get round in 4:53. Given he started training 10 weeks ago and couldn't get past 10 miles whilst training it was a good effort. He called fron 12 miles and the noise from the crowds was unbelievable.

I'll get getting my name down in the ballot for 2010 but I can get a charity place if I wanted to commit to raising £1500.

My mate Jamie managed to get round in 4:53. Given he started training 10 weeks ago and couldn't get past 10 miles whilst training it was a good effort. He called fron 12 miles and the noise from the crowds was unbelievable.

I'll get getting my name down in the ballot for 2010 but I can get a charity place if I wanted to commit to raising £1500.

Why not next year?

I can't commit to the months of training. It would be just my luck to get a place.

You'd be better applying for next year and if you can't do the training then you can defer your place for a year. If you get rejected then you just apply again for 2010. Double the chance of getting a place.

Your Donald is one way in... :)

You could be like the Cap and run another race fast enough to get in on merit.

You can HOPE to get in via the ballot. And I'm not convinced you need to apply and be rejected several times before your number comes up. You could be lucky first time. One limiting factor is when you're likely to finish.

When I was running in it, there used to be a glut of finishers between 3.00 and 3.30. For some unfathomable reason, there are thousands fewer reasonable runners in the London now than there was in those days so the glut (and thus less chance of getting accepted) is after 3.30 and much nearer 4.00 :unsure:

Say you'll do 3.15 and you could be luckier, even if you're lying...

You can buy a charidee place...

If you've run every one since the start, then you get in automatically.

(This may not be a help... :) )

If you're a celebrity - there will be no problem, I can guarantee.

Or you can get one of the places given to AAA clubs, if you're a member of that club.

(Dunno if Scottish Clubs get London places, tho...)

Or you can be in a club that gets extra places cos handsome charming and intelligent StMirren supporters and members of said club organise Drinx stations on the course.

We had well over 30 runners yesterday. :)

I hope this helps? :)

There were obviously a whole huge shoal of Bellahouston Road Runers who'd done fast times recently cos I was forever giving them a yell as the front runners passed by yesterday. I'd guess they'd be up for a team prize, if there was one (I just dunno if there is/was)

ETA: Bellahouston had 7 sub 3, another 5 sub 3.30 and another 8 up to 4 hours...

No bad!

Edited by chingford

Chingford,

I only caught a brif glimpse of the 35K elite water station yesterday, not sure if I saw you or not.

I think that affiliated Scottish clubs do get places, not sure how they allocate them though.

We were on a couple of times.

Obviously, I was wearing a stmirren woolly hat...

Mah QoS supporting wummin was the stand-out, stealing all tv attention fae me.

And there were some runners, too, I believe...

...but they tended to get in the way. :rolleyes:

Managed 18 miles on sunday morning with an early half 6 start so i was home in time for the start of the london marathon, 2 hours 37 mins for my run, got 20 pencilled in this Sunday before headin to Hampden to cheer on the penny daintees to the cup final. And if by chance we do get to the final its only the day before the Edinburgh marathon, nae bevvy for me that day then!!

Guest Scofield

Having just bought the Nike+ i'm starting to get into this running malarky. Think my main problem is pacing myself at the start of each run. Ill come flying out the tracks but a couple of miles later i'll be breating out my arse and struggle to finish.

Hopefully be in pretty decent nick by the end of the summe and be entering into races.

You can get in automatically via the 'good for age' qualifying standards.

As I mentioned, I intend to qualify for next year's London Marathon by running the Edinburgh Marathon in sub 3 hours. If you are aged 41 - 59 you can qualify by running a marathon in under 3.15 (I'm 38 just now so I can't get under 3 hrs before then then I should manage 3.15...... then again, I may chuck it if I don't get under 3 hrs at Edinburgh as I'll be seriously pissed off!)

Women aged 18-49 can qualify by running sub 3.45. A girl who trains with my groupd at work (when I say, girl, she's actually 37), has actually ran a marathon in 3.20 before and hopes to do sub 3.15 this year - and that would be good enough to actually get her entry into the London Marathon Championship!

Nike have 25 places each in the Edinburgh and Manchester BUPA 10k's up for grabs. To get a place you have to sign up to their challenges on the Nike+ site (there is a drop down menu on the Challenges section, they are under 'special events'). The top 25 runners get a place for running the most Km's until the end of the month. I doubt I've got a chance but some of you guys may be in with a shout if you fancy it.

Still sitting pretty in 14th place for both challenges. It's squeeky bum time though as miss a few miles and you are out of contention. Either I'm racking up some good mileage or the challenge is full of failures :lol:

Has any of the Nike+ users reserved a place in August's Human Race 10K? I did but have got no idea what it's about. I suspect it's going to be an organised event in London but I suppose I'll find out when I get my confirmation email that needs to be acted on within 48hrs :rolleyes:

If you're really just starting, Tom - go out on a loop that you'd expect to take you 30-40 minutes - no matter how slow you go. Do that kinda 'distance'... (measure it in time, and as your running improves you'll cover more ground in spatial distance...)

for a week and see how it's going and increase... if you feel ready for it. Listen to your legs and to your body - but be consistent!

30 mins is plenty to start. The thing is to try and establish a pattern, a regularity about the running being an integral part of your life.

What distance or length of time, would the more frequent runners on here suggest as a starting time or distance if I'm just getting started running most week nights?

Cheers.

:)

I recommenced running in January and was heading out for 2 miles at first. It was taking me about 20 mins. I luckily felt fine doing that so quickly upped the mileage but as Chingford says, listen to your body. If you feel as if you can comfortably go longer or faster then do it. If you feel like you are struggling drop it back a little. Just getting out even twice a week will soon reap benefits.

I'm in no way the quickest runner in this thread or one who racks up the most miles but in a matter of 3 or 4 months you could be clocking 30+ miles a week like I am.

I recommenced running in January and was heading out for 2 miles at first. It was taking me about 20 mins. I luckily felt fine doing that so quickly upped the mileage but as Chingford says, listen to your body. If you feel as if you can comfortably go longer or faster then do it. If you feel like you are struggling drop it back a little. Just getting out even twice a week will soon reap benefits.

I'm in no way the quickest runner in this thread or one who racks up the most miles but in a matter of 3 or 4 months you could be clocking 30+ miles a week like I am.

My sister started running again about Feburary and also started going to fat class! She started off running a couple of miles and then last weekend ran about 10 miles. She has also shifted 22lbs in weight and looks amazing. I can't believe how quickly she has racked up the miles.

My sister started running again about Feburary and also started going to fat class! She started off running a couple of miles and then last weekend ran about 10 miles. She has also shifted 22lbs in weight and looks amazing. I can't believe how quickly she has racked up the miles.

That's awesome. I've dropped 17lbs since January and I'm looking to lose another 6 before the marathon.

That's awesome. I've dropped 17lbs since January and I'm looking to lose another 6 before the marathon.

I know, I couldn't believe the difference in her when I was up at Easter, she has no ass anymore and although she has always been a bonnie lassie she looks amazing now. There are 4 of them at her work who all signed upto Scottish Slimmers and although the class has stopped they all meet on a Monday night at the hotel they work in and do the weigh in. Just shows what diet and exersice can do in a short space of time.