P&b Running Club

23 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

well done on doing the half. I just can't commit to that level of training.

I've done 3 halfs never a marathon and the training was brutal 

I only really started taking it serious the last 4 weeks, although I did have a good level of fitness from going to the boxing, playing badminton once a week and strength training at the gym. I’m very glad I did start being serious with the running, I was going out 3/4 times a week and if I hadnt put that work in then there’s a good chance I dont make the finish line yesterday.

Stayed away from alcohol, ate nutritious foods at the right times, stuck to a training schedule and mixed longer and shorter runs. I’m certainly no expert and was just sort of putting it together myself. I watched a few YouTube videos which were helpful in explaining how to structure your training as the run got closer and I think it helped massively. 

Got an understanding now of what an achievement completing a full marathon would be, the thought of starting another 13 mile run at the finish line isn’t something I can comprehend right now, although hopefully one day I can. 

Did the London Marathon on Sunday, finally.  Had got a place in the ballot for 2020 which didn't happen then I had to defer last year as I'd not really trained.  

My training had been ok up until about 4 weeks ago when my knee went on what should have been my longest run and I'd been struggling a bit since then.  So originally set a goal of just finishing and in 5 hours if I could, then on the day changed it to 4:30.  Which given this was my first real marathon (I don't count the 2020 virtual one as I walked most of the last 13 miles) and my Half Marathon PB is 2:14, 4:30 was probably a tad ambitious.

Started off feeling fine, crossed the halfway point at 2 hours 18 and felt good.  Decided to take a walk break at mile 16, and as soon as I did everything started to hurt and I really started to struggle from then on.

Finished in 5 hours 12, and for the 5 minutes or so between coming down The Mall and collecting my medal and t-shirt I've never felt better.  Felt utterly incredible, then the adrenaline wore off and I could barely walk.  The 15 minute walk to the Underground took me close to 40 minutes.  

Totally recommend it if you get the chance to do it.  Admittedly, from about mile 19 to mile 25 is complete and utter hell, but the rest of it is amazing.

1 hour ago, SanStarko said:

Did the London Marathon on Sunday, finally.  Had got a place in the ballot for 2020 which didn't happen then I had to defer last year as I'd not really trained.  

My training had been ok up until about 4 weeks ago when my knee went on what should have been my longest run and I'd been struggling a bit since then.  So originally set a goal of just finishing and in 5 hours if I could, then on the day changed it to 4:30.  Which given this was my first real marathon (I don't count the 2020 virtual one as I walked most of the last 13 miles) and my Half Marathon PB is 2:14, 4:30 was probably a tad ambitious.

Started off feeling fine, crossed the halfway point at 2 hours 18 and felt good.  Decided to take a walk break at mile 16, and as soon as I did everything started to hurt and I really started to struggle from then on.

Finished in 5 hours 12, and for the 5 minutes or so between coming down The Mall and collecting my medal and t-shirt I've never felt better.  Felt utterly incredible, then the adrenaline wore off and I could barely walk.  The 15 minute walk to the Underground took me close to 40 minutes.  

Totally recommend it if you get the chance to do it.  Admittedly, from about mile 19 to mile 25 is complete and utter hell, but the rest of it is amazing.

Brilliant achievement mate. I’m still aching all over from the Half marathon on Sunday so can only imagine how your feeling. 

What sort of distances were you running in your training for it? I’m going to try and structure my training a bit better next time so that I’m working up towards longer runs the closer it gets to the race. I was just going out and seeing how I felt for the first couple of KMs then deciding how far I could be bothered running that day, which I don’t think is the correct way to do it. 

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Brilliant achievement mate. I’m still aching all over from the Half marathon on Sunday so can only imagine how your feeling. 

What sort of distances were you running in your training for it? I’m going to try and structure my training a bit better next time so that I’m working up towards longer runs the closer it gets to the race. I was just going out and seeing how I felt for the first couple of KMs then deciding how far I could be bothered running that day, which I don’t think is the correct way to do it. 

I’d slowly got myself up to 18 miles and it wasn’t too bad.  My last big run was meant to be 22 miles but injured my knee about 14 miles in.  Then my runs after that were a lot shorter.

I followed the running plans that London Marathon sent out, which wasn’t too bad.  Four runs a week with the longest run always being the Sunday.  Was about a 16 week plan if I remember right which slowly built up the mileage.  Good thing about them is for most of the runs they give you a mileage and time goal, so you go which ever works best.

I entered the ballot for London just because somebody from work had done it and raved about it.  Got in first try, but until that point had no intention of ever doing a marathon, half marathon was more than enough.  

Got back into running after the first lockdown and I’ve had maybe 3/4 pairs of shoes in that time and every single pair has given me blisters. Always seems to be just below the ball of my foot, sort of in line with my big toe. 

Had my gait checked a few years back by a mate who worked in Run4it at the time and he said I needed Neutral shoes. Anyone found their gait has changed over time? 

On 04/10/2022 at 10:08, Central Belt Caley said:

Got back into running after the first lockdown and I’ve had maybe 3/4 pairs of shoes in that time and every single pair has given me blisters. Always seems to be just below the ball of my foot, sort of in line with my big toe. 

Had my gait checked a few years back by a mate who worked in Run4it at the time and he said I needed Neutral shoes. Anyone found their gait has changed over time? 

Have you tried using an insole that is more suited to the shape of your foot? You can get insoles made up for you by a few different places in Glasgow, who do similar to Run4It by analysing your gait and finding areas of high pressure on the sole of your foot. 

What running shoes are you using? I had Nike Pegasus for the last few months, which I thought were great until I purchased a pair of Nike Zoom Infinity FlyKnits which have a much chunkier sole and are so much better to run in. Being a newish runner I didn’t think the trainers would make such a difference, but after about 5 minutes using the Nike Infinity’s I could feel the difference on my feet, ankles and knees. They are on sale on the Nike website currently and I couldn’t recommend them enough for a mid level running shoe. 

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/zoomx-invincible-run-flyknit-2-road-running-shoes-tr0Tjj/DH5425-003 

On 20/10/2021 at 20:44, Scorge said:

https://allscottishparkruns.wordpress.com/ - this may be of use if you're tempted to do a few others, it's pretty accurate based on the ones I've done. Drumchapel is probably the trickiest, though I haven't been in Glasgow since Queens started. 

One year on, have just done Queens. Would say equally as hard as Drumchapel (think my times will be almost the same) but slightly different as the gradient is longer, but you get far more respite on the downhill. Still needed a couple of 20/25 second powerwalk breaks though.

Off to Run4it later for a gait check and probably new shoes - haven't done this since pre pandemic and long overdue.

Edited by Scorge

7 hours ago, Scorge said:

One year on, have just done Queens. Would say equally as hard as Drumchapel (think my times will be almost the same) but slightly different as the gradient is longer, but you get far more respite on the downhill. Still needed a couple of 20/25 second powerwalk breaks though.

Off to Run4it later for a gait check and probably new shoes - haven't done this since pre pandemic and long overdue.

Well done - i was marshalling at Queens this morning at the top of the hill.  My favourite marshalling point as it’s all downhill from there!

11 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Well done - i was marshalling at Queens this morning at the top of the hill.  My favourite marshalling point as it’s all downhill from there!

Thank you for your enthusiasm (I was the portly black jacketed sweatbox wearing the blue beanie). Actually half a minute quicker than my Drumchapel time, bizarrely. More tourism in Redcar next week, mercifully it's pancake flat.

I’ve applied for the ballot for the 2023 London Marathon, but from speaking to a couple of people they’ve said it’s unlikely I will be successful. Find out by the end of this month which is good though, and I’m told you can still apply through charities for a place although you need to pledge a minimum donation to them.

This will make me sound like a right p***k but I hate raising money for charity 😂 I don’t hate money going to charity, but I hate having to ask people for sponsorship money and pestering people to donate. I would rather just stick a few hundred quid in myself and hopefully that’s enough to meet their criteria. 

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve applied for the ballot for the 2023 London Marathon, but from speaking to a couple of people they’ve said it’s unlikely I will be successful. Find out by the end of this month which is good though, and I’m told you can still apply through charities for a place although you need to pledge a minimum donation to them.

This will make me sound like a right p***k but I hate raising money for charity 😂 I don’t hate money going to charity, but I hate having to ask people for sponsorship money and pestering people to donate. I would rather just stick a few hundred quid in myself and hopefully that’s enough to meet their criteria. 

Is it not a couple of grand to get a charity space? I know what you mean about pestering folk for sponsorship, especially now with everything that's going on.

10 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Is it not a couple of grand to get a charity space? I know what you mean about pestering folk for sponsorship, especially now with everything that's going on.

Jeez I’ve no idea I assumed it was going to be a few hundred quid :lol: 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Jeez I’ve no idea I assumed it was going to be a few hundred quid :lol: 

You'll be glad to hear there are other marathons. 

London's shite. Manchester's around the same time and no ballot. Dublin's in the autumn and a great one. I'd recommend Loch Ness but it's sparse on support so depends what you're after.

2 hours ago, morrison said:

You'll be glad to hear there are other marathons. 

London's shite. Manchester's around the same time and no ballot. Dublin's in the autumn and a great one. I'd recommend Loch Ness but it's sparse on support so depends what you're after.

Nah I know that mate I just done it on the spur of the moment when I seen an email to enter the ballot.

My friend done Loch Ness this year and that’s one I will probably aim for next year. Depending on my fitness I am going to try and do the Bilbao marathon in March next year, but I fear it might just come too soon for me seeing that the Glasgow Half last Sunday was the furthest I’d ran before and my first ever organised event. 

I've had 10 ballot rejections for London now. Fair play to anyone going for a charity place - trying to raise £2k and above in the current climate no matter what the cause feels quite daunting to me.

As morrison said, plenty other decent ones out there with far less hassle.

8 minutes ago, Scorge said:

I've had 10 ballot rejections for London now. Fair play to anyone going for a charity place - trying to raise £2k and above in the current climate no matter what the cause feels quite daunting to me.

As morrison said, plenty other decent ones out there with far less hassle.

Yep 2 grand as the minimum donation surprised me a wee bit. It doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of the charity cause. What happens to someone who tries their best to raise the £2k but only ends up with say £1200, are they forced to find another £800 or their place in the marathon is taken away?

£500 and I could maybe have justified it. Even if I got friends, family and work colleagues involved I doubt I would get close to £2k anyway.