P&b Running Club

Given the numbers involved that wouldn't be a surprise. London was a bit slow at the start although when I did the Glasgow half it wasn't too bad. Advice I got yesterday was just to get your elbows out.

Just discovered the metro is more than a mile walk from the finish which seems a bit cruel! Hard to plan bus routes not knowing which roads will be closed.

I signed up for the Loch Ness marathon a few months back, having never ran more than about 6 or 7km before starting training for it. Im really ramping up the distances just now and I’m feeling fitter than I ever have in my life. Woke up Saturday morning and just threw on shorts and t shirt, stuck my headphones in, and went out for an aimless run which ended up being just under 24k in 2 and a half hours. If someone had said to me 6 months ago that I would voluntarily wake up at the weekend and go out and run 24k, and actually enjoy it, I would probably have spat at them. 

Just under 60k in total last week, which is absolutely mental to me because I used to absolutely despise running. Now I’m coming home from work and actually looking forward to a run. Went out on Friday night with the intention of beating my 5k PB, and started off at a pace which after a kilometre or so realised I couldn’t maintain for very long. I ended up beating my previous PB by 40 seconds but the last couple of KMs were tough, and I was dying for it to finish. The long Saturday run was a joy in comparison. It’s so much more enjoyable when you aren’t constantly checking your watch for time/distance. 

I am still struggling slightly with lower back pain, although it’s nowhere near as bad as it was a few weeks back, which I’ve put down to a new pair of trainers as well as carrying less weight. Genuinely can’t wait until the day of the marathon and the feeling after I’ve crossed the finish line. 

Also, is it worth going to one of these places that analyses your running style and recommends which trainers to use etc?. I’ve got a cheap pair of Nike Pegasus which I use for shorter runs, and a pair of Nike Air Zoom for longer. I know there is other brands out there better than Nike but I just don’t know enough about them to commit to a pair. I’ve had a few recommendations for Asics or Hoka but they aren’t cheap. When I started running I wore Adidas ZX Boosts and was getting bad lower back pain a couple of minutes in to my run, which I put down to me carrying a few extra pounds. Changing to the Nikes has all but eliminated that pain, which I think is because of the chunkier sole, so I’m nervous to make a change so close to the marathon. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Last long run of the block done, was supposed to be 11 miles but felt tight at end so didn’t want to do any damage with the run on Sunday.

Happy with my time as a couple of those miles back to back were 200 and 250 ft of sheer elevation.

Feeling confident for Sunday Now.

IMG_6671.jpg

Planning to have a pop at a sub 2 hour time at GNR but it’s going to be a big stretch for me. I also heard that you can’t get moving for 2k anyway due to the vast numbers- anyone confirm? 

You are in waves with your targeted time so it shouldn’t be too bad, last year I bumped in a few waves ahead of what I should’ve so I could get done earlier and had no issues with this.

Hopefully more of the same on Sunday as I’m chasing a time.

14 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Planning to have a pop at a sub 2 hour time at GNR but it’s going to be a big stretch for me. I also heard that you can’t get moving for 2k anyway due to the vast numbers- anyone confirm? 

A good few years since I've ran it but:

You get put into pens at the start of the race based on your estimated time. If you've estimated a time under 2:00 then you'll get put in a pen with other folk who have estimated similar times so you shouldn't get bottlenecked. It starts on a motorway so there aren't any pinch points.

Controversial take, but I found it boring as hell. The start is great, the end is great but for huge chunks of it you're running along a boring dual carriageway.

Good luck to everyone doing GNR. Done it a few years back and was lucky enough to get ‘hospitality’ due to the wife’s work so started in first pen. Support on the course was great. The last mile along beside the sea was unbelievable but as someone above said the course isn’t the most exciting. 

Done Mhor Marathon few weeks back. 4 hours 8 on a hilly course which I was delighted with. Got Belfast half marathon in few weeks then John Muir Ultra after that (only the part from Port Seton to Dunbar)

Looking forward to both and hard work continues 

Anyone on here have a suggestion on how to build up to running medium to long distance in zone 2? Guy in my work is a veteran runner and he says I should be trying to do 8-12k in zone 2 but any time I attempt it my HR goes above even at a slow jog, and goes below it when I’m walking. I know I will get there eventually, but I’m finding when I start a run my heart rate goes very quickly from 120ish to 170ish for a steady run and I don’t seem to have a pace that sits in between? 

Anyone on here have a suggestion on how to build up to running medium to long distance in zone 2? Guy in my work is a veteran runner and he says I should be trying to do 8-12k in zone 2 but any time I attempt it my HR goes above even at a slow jog, and goes below it when I’m walking. I know I will get there eventually, but I’m finding when I start a run my heart rate goes very quickly from 120ish to 170ish for a steady run and I don’t seem to have a pace that sits in between? 

I know of someone who did heart rate training and at times he was doing 15/16 minute miles and has stuck with it and is consistently doing 1.30 half marathons.

My advice would be to stick with it and I’m actually going to start HR training after Sunday, my brother has a book on it which he’s giving me on Saturday called heart rate training, a monitor will be good for you which attaches to your watch as most watches aren’t accurate with heart rates.

1 minute ago, KD1711 said:

I know of someone who did heart rate training and at times he was doing 15/16 minute miles and has stuck with it and is consistently doing 1.30 half marathons.

My advice would be to stick with it and I’m actually going to start HR training after Sunday, my brother has a book on it which he’s giving me on Saturday called heart rate training, a monitor will be good for you which attaches to your watch as most watches aren’t accurate with heart rates.

That’s exactly the reason I want to start doing it, the guy from my work has been religiously running zone 2 once a week doing 10-12ks. Now I look at his Strava and he’s running 42 minute 10Ks and his heart rate is averaging 150. My 5K on Friday had me averaging 184 at a slower pace than him 😂

That’s exactly what he said as well, when he first started he felt like he was hardly moving and he was running 6.30/km (don’t know what that is in miles). I’ve only really been running seriously for the last few months but I still feel like my heart rate can run away from me and I struggle to control my breathing. I feel like I can run steady between 160 and 180 bpm, but the longer I run at that pace the more it creeps up and eventually I’m in the 190s and having to walk for 30 seconds or so to bring it down. 

The Strava app has a section that shows your HR zones, and tells you how long you spent in each after your run. I just have an Apple Watch to track my HR and it seems pretty accurate although I’ve got nothing to compare it to. 

Last run done before Sunday, think 1:40 will be a miracle but who knows on a race day when I actually bother to do something that could maybe be described as preparation.

Good luck to everyone else running. If you see a bloke wearing a maroon Dumfries Running Club shirt with Stuart on it, come and say hello. Unlikely there's two of us...

I'm taking on the Great Scottish Run next month and hoping for a sub 2hr half marathon. In reality iv been struggling with the training so reckon that will be a big ask. Just completing it is going to be the new goal. Assume there's a few guys on here taking it on? 

Seen another couple of events that are going on, but not on the scale of the GNR. Suspect there won't be blanket guidance to call off but there might not be police presence available which would make it untenable.

Would be disappointed if that was the case though 

Fearing it will probably be off but hoping the fact it raises millions of pounds for charity might be enough to sway things. As @true_rover says, the issue might be more with police, ambulance, transport etc than the event itself.

Don't envy the organisers given the reaction to their Facebook post last night!

32 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Parkrun events have been told they will not be asked to cancel 

Think it'll be event dependant - noticed Crathes Castle was cancelled and I would expect Holyrood would go the same way 

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's on!

Pleasantly surprised by that - bring it on!

Managed to get 1.53 which I’m really pleased about, it was looking like I’d get 1.45/46 however the last half was wading through and passing folk which meant you couldn’t really get a clean run going at it.

A 5 minute PB for me and also got a 84 second PB on my 10k so pretty chuffed with how it all went.

Hope everyone had a great run who took part.

IMG_7212.jpg