P&b Running Club

On 08/07/2022 at 17:13, morrison said:

What sort of distance are you covering now, and how many times a week are you (is your brother) running? What do those runs look like? 

With it being his first, it's tricky to get the balance of slowly increasing the mileage with the temptation to run too fast every session and overtrain.

General rule is no more than 10% per week increase in mileage with every 4th week being fewer miles to aid recovery. Make sure long run is slow. If it's not easy to talk to your brother, you're going too fast!

Apologies if that's too basic - wasn't sure where to pitch it!

Sorry man I thought I had replied but it seems to have not went through 🤷‍♂️

To give a flavour this week was a 7, 15 and two 3 mile runs. I’m doing the longer ones with him and the shorter ones on my own.

roughly 10 min miles to get a sustainable marathon pace. Yeah I am the faster runner but really enjoying the ‘support’ role running in my own makes me care too much about the time and takes the mental health benefits  and enjoyment out of it.

additional info: my own 10k is around 48mins  

Edited by Sammo

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Parkrun PB on Saturday with a time of 27.15, my local course is a tough route with 5 loops of 0.3 miles slightly downhill then a tough 0.3 uphill (elevation is around 200ft).

Since running my ultra I've went from 131kg to 119.5kg, hoping to be sub 110kg in the next few weeks. Would put me in great position for a PB in the Great North Run.

Went out a half marathon yesterday and was absolutely ruined, took me 2 hours 30 which is my worst ever time for a half (have completed around 20 halfs) and it was my hardest one ever, gassed out at 11 miles and was sick as well. 

Running is definitely a humbling sport, from the PB on Saturday to that on the Sunday.

On 10/07/2022 at 21:15, deadasdillinger said:

Doing Last One Standing in a couple of weeks. Anyone else doing it or have any tips for running the format? First time for me. 

Ran the River Ayr Way for training the other week so at 40+ miles that was my longest run to date by a long way.

Managed 10 loops for 41.67 miles.

My head was wrecked from about 6 loops in. Legs were in bits as I'd tweaked them a bit earlier in the week, heavy rain was getting to me, really had to wrestle the wee voice telling me to stop. 

Knew my minimum target was beating my longest distance to date so did that then called it a day... genuinely think I emptied the tank and took everything my body had to give that day, as took a real dizzy spell after stopping and spewed a wee while after. 

Tough shift. Focusing on other distances / faster times for now but already mulling over lessons for a potential next one....

On to week 4 of couch to 5k,

enjoying it so far, so much so I was getting up at 7am on family holiday to keep on with the schedule until I cut my foot in the sea so had 8 says without run. picked it up again and did a 3rd week run and then started week 4, absolutely blowing out my arse yesterday during it on run 2 of the week not sure how I'll ever achieve that 20min run end of week 6!

One thing I'm struggling with is pacing myself, when I started I was on a treadmill so setting around 10k/h run and 6k/h walk and was wearing just a pair Adidas sl72 trainers with very little support and feeling every step now I'm out running wearing ridiculously comfortable running shoes and fitness app on watch and feels like I'm running really slow, I know I wouldn't be keeping at 10k/h pace but what is a reasonable pace to be aiming at? Think the watch and apps has been  confusing me as they seem to show minutes/km rather than km/h  

3 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

On to week 4 of couch to 5k,

enjoying it so far, so much so I was getting up at 7am on family holiday to keep on with the schedule until I cut my foot in the sea so had 8 says without run. picked it up again and did a 3rd week run and then started week 4, absolutely blowing out my arse yesterday during it on run 2 of the week not sure how I'll ever achieve that 20min run end of week 6!

One thing I'm struggling with is pacing myself, when I started I was on a treadmill so setting around 10k/h run and 6k/h walk and was wearing just a pair Adidas sl72 trainers with very little support and feeling every step now I'm out running wearing ridiculously comfortable running shoes and fitness app on watch and feels like I'm running really slow, I know I wouldn't be keeping at 10k/h pace but what is a reasonable pace to be aiming at? Think the watch and apps has been  confusing me as they seem to show minutes/km rather than km/h  

Whenever I go out I try and work it off of heart rate, so if it's an easy run try and keep in zone 2 on the fitness watch. If you find you are trying too hard or struggling to keep up you are probably going too fast.

It feels like you are going backwards when you go off heart rate at times but it actually helps get your pace up for runs believe it or not.

7 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Whenever I go out I try and work it off of heart rate, so if it's an easy run try and keep in zone 2 on the fitness watch. If you find you are trying too hard or struggling to keep up you are probably going too fast.

It feels like you are going backwards when you go off heart rate at times but it actually helps get your pace up for runs believe it or not.

Thanks KD  but as a beer bellied, pizza munching and unfit 45 year old I'm pretty sure my heart rate is in zone 2 when I'm doing my stretching and warm up walk! 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good week at it this last week. Did a 10k trail where I got my PB last year of 52.12, I got 53.49 in this one which is a good pace overall, felt like had more to give at the end as well which was great. I spent the first 10 minutes wading through folk so could probably have got nearer to the PB but will take it.

When I finished my ultra my first 10k post the ultra I did in 1 hour 5 on July 1st so a big improvement. Did the same route yesterday and did it in 56 minutes as well so good to be able to go at this kind of pace and not slog through it.

Great North Run coming in a few weeks then the Prospect Park Half Marathon which hopefully I will beat my PB of 1.57 on one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for those who have/are doing Great North Run - when's a good time to be at the start line area? Was aiming to be there for about half 9 with the baggage buses closing at 10.15 and the start at 10.45.

I'm laughably in the second wave as I put my predicted time in before I fucked my ankle. Getting within 15 minutes will be a laugh as I've done no speed work since January.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Quick question for those who have/are doing Great North Run - when's a good time to be at the start line area? Was aiming to be there for about half 9 with the baggage buses closing at 10.15 and the start at 10.45.

I'm laughably in the second wave as I put my predicted time in before I fucked my ankle. Getting within 15 minutes will be a laugh as I've done no speed work since January.

When I did it the year before I got there about 90 mins before my start then just kind of bumped in the next wave. An hour should be plenty.

9 hours ago, Stu said:

I stayed in Seaton Sluice the night before and bussed it into Haymarket at 9.45, that gave plenty of time. It's well organised, from memory.

Hazlehead parkrun finally reopened last weekend after all the storm shenanigans, glad  to have the second option again, and giving it a pop this Saturday.

Edited by Scorge

Ta for the advice, puts my mind at ease a bit. Getting the Metro in from Sunderland so just wanted to be sure about time.

Had had a horrible run last Wednesday. My usual route but could tell after a mile I was screwed. Struggled on but had to stop and walk a few times, which I never, ever have to do. No idea why it happened. Did the same route yesterday and it was absolutely fine so at least that's quietened the doubting voices in my head.

In between did a 10k in Dumfries on Sunday which went better than expected - struggled in the middle even though it was straight and flat. A few more runs then hopefully my body plays ball for Newcastle.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Ta for the advice, puts my mind at ease a bit. Getting the Metro in from Sunderland so just wanted to be sure about time.

Had had a horrible run last Wednesday. My usual route but could tell after a mile I was screwed. Struggled on but had to stop and walk a few times, which I never, ever have to do. No idea why it happened. Did the same route yesterday and it was absolutely fine so at least that's quietened the doubting voices in my head.

In between did a 10k in Dumfries on Sunday which went better than expected - struggled in the middle even though it was straight and flat. A few more runs then hopefully my body plays ball for Newcastle.

What kind of time are you aiming for mate? I always get paranoid in the lead up to a race you doubt yourself like mad it is mental.

I'm undecided yet as to what to go for time wise, I did a trail 10k the other week and completed it in 53.49 and felt good at the 10k mark.

My all time PB for a half is 1.57 so I don't know whether to go for 1.55 or just try and smash out a 1.50, I have lost 20kgs since doing my ultra in June so feeling so much sharper and my runs are getting quicker and quicker.

I'm also doing the GNR - driving down on the day so planning on parking at a park and ride north of the city and Metro in. Hoping that should get me into the city around quarter past to half past 9. Hopefully find somewhere to warm up near the baggage buses as hoping for a decent PB!

Got a PB for my 5k yesterday at Parkrun. Was well pleased as the guy who does my running plans for me told me to aim for 1.50 for the GNR so thought I’d do a park run to test myself as the course is solid, it’s a 0.6 mile loop half downhill/flat half uphill.

I aimed for 25 mins and when I finished the last hill started walking and some guy came up behind me and got me going to the finish which I was buzzing about, 20kgs lost in the last few months and a good PB going into next week, hopefully I get another this time next week.

IMG_6642.jpg