P&b Running Club

Young guy went past me with 1km to go at parkrun this morning

He actually said to me as he went by me “you were a tough one to catch”

I knew he’d used up all his effort to catch me and went by him in the last 200m

Patronising comments during a race aren’t a good idea 

Just ran my usual sub 20

My son was down in Wales with his mum and was hoping to beat a parkrun course record but failed

Record was sub 15.30 but he “only” ran just over 16.00 (literally)

course was over 4 miles from the hotel, he got lost on the way, police incident on the course, heatwave, etc, badly marshalled course, had to decide what route to take, etc.

4 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Lad at Strathclyde parkrun this morning missed the course record by 15 seconds. He was the fastest parkrunner in the UK today 

14.53, incredible time

but “missed” by “15 seconds” is a bit of a contriction

15 secs is a chasm, not even close 

27 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Who the f**k makes snarky comments during a parkrun ffs? Some strong self esteem issues there.

I do strathy now and again and it's not uncommon to hear some negative comments flung at me if I'm passing people on a strong finish. Each to their own like but I don't see what people get out of that . 

11 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

I do strathy now and again and it's not uncommon to hear some negative comments flung at me if I'm passing people on a strong finish. Each to their own like but I don't see what people get out of that . 

When I lived in Aberdeen(Hazelhead), there was a near brawl at the finishing line of the parkrun there once involving some middle aged idiot who tried to elbow past someone and came off worst.

Think he was carted off in an ambulance after falling pretty heavily. Hopefully knocked some sense into his stupid skull.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

When I lived in Aberdeen(Hazelhead), there was a near brawl at the finishing line of the parkrun there once involving some middle aged idiot who tried to elbow past someone and came off worst.

Think he was carted off in an ambulance after falling pretty heavily. Hopefully knocked some sense into his stupid skull.

I remember hearing about that, proper worst-c**t behaviour. Its not even a 'race' really.

Hazlehead is now on the suspended list after the storm last November obliterated the route, though it sounds like the council are finally about to rebuild the paths that were ripped up, so it could be resurrected soon.

I gave Faskally a swerve after spending an entire week hillwalking and settled for Aviemore instead yesterday, scenery wise it's a joy. 

Who the f**k makes snarky comments during a parkrun ffs? Some strong self esteem issues there.

There is definitely an odd bunch that goes to the park runs. Quite off putting.

On the contrast when I have ran marathons the folk couldn’t have been nicer, at Manchester this year there were no gels in sight still at the 10k mark and someone overheard me talking about it and gave me her gel.

Did an ultra recently and the folk there were next level nice, one guy who was supporting his daughter took my stuff of me at mile 31 cause my mrs wasn’t gona be helping me till mile 44 so I was carrying less weight on me, also got me paracetamol and a shot of his massage gun.

He came and got me at the checkpoint and mile 44 then again when I was crossing the bridge at the finish applauding me. Folk like that genuinely keep you going.

Doing Last One Standing in a couple of weeks. Anyone else doing it or have any tips for running the format? First time for me. 
Ran the River Ayr Way for training the other week so at 40+ miles that was my longest run to date by a long way.

I asked someone I know who did 100 miles in 24 hours and he said this -

If he’s got time, tell him to do a trial before it. Say 6 x 4.17 on the hour every hour. Obviously run very slow but try get a wee break anol. At least 10 minutes a leg

As an absolute beginner I'm about to buy my first pair of running shoes, started doing the couch to 5k while away on ship on treadmill with zero cushion in the trainers i am using. so looking for some advice 

I have a bit of a gait while running so assuming ill need some support shoes? and have decided on either Brooks Adrenaline gts or Glycerin gts  there was also a hoka Ahari's but leaning more towards the Brooks 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it seems like a minefield of choices! id like to think i will stick to the running as I am enjoying it and can feel the difference in the few weeks i've been doing it so far 

3 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I have a bit of a gait while running so assuming ill need some support shoes? and have decided on either Brooks Adrenaline gts or Glycerin gts  there was also a hoka Ahari's but leaning more towards the Brooks 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it seems like a minefield of choices! id like to think i will stick to the running as I am enjoying it and can feel the difference in the few weeks i've been doing it so far 

I reckon you're on the right path already. I didn't like the Hokas, but everyone's different. You'll be safe with either of the other two.

On the parkrun thing, I've never really come across anything similar. After a run there'll often be a bit of chat about how I pushed someone else to finish strong, or vice versa... I've urged on a few young guys to beat the old guy (me) over the line... I've generally found it really supportive and positive.

Hopefully the one numpty doesn't put you off returning - sounds like an ill-judged/timed comment rather than a malicious one. 

4 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

As an absolute beginner I'm about to buy my first pair of running shoes, started doing the couch to 5k while away on ship on treadmill with zero cushion in the trainers i am using. so looking for some advice 

I use stability trainers and whilst the Brooks Adrenaline are the ones iv had that iv done least actual running in, they are the comfiest of the various ones iv had over the years. I used Mizuno Wave for years, then had a Sauciny pair that fell apart quickly, and not the Brooks. Id recommend them personally. 

17 hours ago, KD1711 said:

I asked someone I know who did 100 miles in 24 hours and he said this -

If he’s got time, tell him to do a trial before it. Say 6 x 4.17 on the hour every hour. Obviously run very slow but try get a wee break anol. At least 10 minutes a leg

Thanks for the advice, appreciated. I've tried doing a few challenges to prepare for it, one being the River Ayr Way ultra and the other being the Goggins 4x4x48, so sounds similar to what your mate is recommending. 

Experience I was hoping to gain from that was running a 4 mile loop at a set time every few hours, getting used to running on tired legs, through the night in the dark on no sleep, how to make sure I was getting enough calories etc. So hopefully similar enough to what your pal is suggesting. 

10 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Theres a few places will analyse your gait and recommend a running shoe based on this- at least one shop in Glasgow, know a few mates who have had this done. 

I've never had it done personally. Years ago had fairly cushioned Reeboks and found they gave me a bit of knee pain. Tried a few others and landed on inov8 trail talons as I do a lot of hill running. Give me no bother at all, to the point I'll run with them in all settings - hills, trails, road, even treadmill, which is quite mental in the eyes of a lot of runners. But if you find a pair that work for you through a bit of trial and error then you're laughing 

4 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Thanks for the advice, appreciated. I've tried doing a few challenges to prepare for it, one being the River Ayr Way ultra and the other being the Goggins 4x4x48, so sounds similar to what your mate is recommending. 

Experience I was hoping to gain from that was running a 4 mile loop at a set time every few hours, getting used to running on tired legs, through the night in the dark on no sleep, how to make sure I was getting enough calories etc. So hopefully similar enough to what your pal is suggesting. 

I did the Goggins challenge last year, I think if you can do that you can do anything as that is 2 days of torture, by the time you do your run and get settled you have 3 hours till you are back out and need to watch what you are eating etc too. I didn't go out for time with the challenge just to finish and did 9 runs of the 12 solo which was a nightmare. The 2nd last run I grinded to a halt near the end as my body was so depleted. 

The last run I didn't want to get out of bed to do it and it took me just over an hour but it was in the cookie jar then as Goggins would say.

11 hours ago, morrison said:

On the parkrun thing, I've never really come across anything similar. After a run there'll often be a bit of chat about how I pushed someone else to finish strong, or vice versa... I've urged on a few young guys to beat the old guy (me) over the line... I've generally found it really supportive and positive.

Hopefully the one numpty doesn't put you off returning - sounds like an ill-judged/timed comment rather than a malicious one. 

To be honest, the quote from Cap Sensible which kicked this off says more about him and his mindset than the guy making it.  I don’t see anything disrespectful in it.  

5 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

To be honest, the quote from Cap Sensible which kicked this off says more about him and his mindset than the guy making it.  I don’t see anything disrespectful in it.  

Don't think he was saying there was in fairness, just that if you're going to give it Billy big balls  you better be able to back it up and not leave yourself open to being passed by the person you've been slagging. He's probably learned that the hard way given who he supports...

Moffat Gala Race tonight - decided ages ago I'd only be going to watch rather than take part due to injuries and not being fully fit.

As you can see from my Strava from when I did it three years ago, watching is definitely the better option - especially at mile four (although the second half was arguably harder)... https://www.strava.com/activities/2518690837

Edited by Stu

13 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Theres a few places will analyse your gait and recommend a running shoe based on this- at least one shop in Glasgow, know a few mates who have had this done. 

I've never had it done personally. Years ago had fairly cushioned Reeboks and found they gave me a bit of knee pain. Tried a few others and landed on inov8 trail talons as I do a lot of hill running. Give me no bother at all, to the point I'll run with them in all settings - hills, trails, road, even treadmill, which is quite mental in the eyes of a lot of runners. But if you find a pair that work for you through a bit of trial and error then you're laughing 

Went to Runners needs in Aberdeen today and got some analysis done (3D scan of my feet, walking on a pressure pad and a wee run on the treadmill) which did indeed show I had a slighter than imagined gait but a very high arch the computer then recommended about 6 pairs of shoes and both the Brooks were in it and eventually i plumped for the Glycerin 20 GTS, even though they look a little garish, as they were incredibly comfy and seemed to fit better than the adrenaline and had a bit more bounce too. was really good trying on the different makes and so glad I didn't just order off the internet like I would normally do for trainers. now to keep on with the running!

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Don't think he was saying there was in fairness, just that if you're going to give it Billy big balls  you better be able to back it up and not leave yourself open to being passed by the person you've been slagging. He's probably learned that the hard way given who he supports...

Moffat Gala Race tonight - decided ages ago I'd only be going to watch rather than take part due to injuries and not being fully fit.

As you can see from my Strava from when I did it three years ago, watching is definitely the better option - especially at mile four (although the second half was arguably harder)... https://www.strava.com/activities/2518690837

I didn’t even read it as Billy Big Balls. That’s what i mean when in think it was all in his head.