P&b Running Club

20 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Anyone doing Edinburgh marathon? 

The Edinburgh course depresses me.

Good luck!

(In all fairness, it is a fast course but it's not the most exciting.)

Next race for me's the Simmer Dim Half Marathon in Shetland next month.

• 3 weeks later...

Ankle finally improved enough that I got back to some running last week, more than three months after I broke it.

Did the 10k at Kirkcudbright today (would normally do the half but no chance after such a long lay-off). First race since a few weeks before the first lockdown, first 10k in god knows how long. Took 46 minutes which is miles off my best, and it's a pretty flat course too, but no way I could go any faster after having had to bin the running for a few months.

Still plenty of time to get myself sorted for the Great North Run in September.

Did the Monikie 10k last Sunday and for the first time ever while running decked it 🤣 running through a wooded part of the course. Apart from it being a bit embarrassing lost about 75 seconds sorting myself out from it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2022 at 11:04, keptie said:

Did the Monikie 10k last Sunday and for the first time ever while running decked it 🤣 running through a wooded part of the course. Apart from it being a bit embarrassing lost about 75 seconds sorting myself out from it.

Ouch! Think the only time I've ended up on my arse was trying to dodge round someone coming out of a shop at night and didn't notice the raised curb...hadn't lifted my foot high enough. Pretty unpleasant!

Speaking of falling, this thread's down on the third page. No Edinburgh stories to tell?

I've just got over Covid a week or so ago and just can't get the air into my lungs at all. Legs are like lead. Still got the speed but the stamina has taken a pounding just in time for a half marathon next weekend. That's going to be fun.

Suffered a set back this week as got a pain in my foot that got gradually worse and eventually had to stop and walk two miles home in the pissing rain. Was worried I'd wrecked my Achilles but physio says it's fine, something is a bit inflamed/swollen and I need to ice, ibuprofen gel and rest it for a week or two.

Not too bad in the grand scheme of things but could have done without it, especially as it's now three months to the Great North Run.

On 11/06/2022 at 14:39, morrison said:

On 11/06/2022 at 14:39, morrison said:

Ouch! Think the only time I've ended up on my arse was trying to dodge round someone coming out of a shop at night and didn't notice the raised curb...hadn't lifted my foot high enough. Pretty unpleasant!

Speaking of falling, this thread's down on the third page. No Edinburgh stories to tell?

I've just got over Covid a week or so ago and just can't get the air into my lungs at all. Legs are like lead. Still got the speed but the stamina has taken a pounding just in time for a half marathon next weekend. That's going to be fun.

That sounds like a really nasty fall. Nothing worse than getting ill just before a race puts all kinda crap in your head but still got a week to clear it up hopefully.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Suffered a set back this week as got a pain in my foot that got gradually worse and eventually had to stop and walk two miles home in the pissing rain. Was worried I'd wrecked my Achilles but physio says it's fine, something is a bit inflamed/swollen and I need to ice, ibuprofen gel and rest it for a week or two.

Not too bad in the grand scheme of things but could have done without it, especially as it's now three months to the Great North Run.

Yeah nothing like having to stop running and walk back home especially if it's peeing down, had to do it a once or twice and i felt like a prat walking with your running gear on. Three months plenty of time to get back on it.

Done a 5 and a half miler today in a gale, that was fun felt like running on the spot at times.

Quiet on here lately.

Edited by keptie

Aye three months sounds OK but coming off the back of three months out with a broken ankle it's the last thing I could have done with. A week of rest, ibuprofen and ice doesn't seem to have made much noticeable difference either.

Running seems to be going well again at the moment. Training for the Mhor Marathon in August so getting the miles in for that. Doing Run the Blades half marathon as a training run for it. Planning for John Muir Ultra in September if all goes well too

12 minutes ago, Rossi1990 said:

Running seems to be going well again at the moment. Training for the Mhor Marathon in August so getting the miles in for that. Doing Run the Blades half marathon as a training run for it. Planning for John Muir Ultra in September if all goes well too

What's a good way to prepare for marathons? I've never done one or anywhere near, been working at 5ks and have got myself down to 28mins but after that I'm absolutely knackered. Would like to try and do some more long distance stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/06/2022 at 21:33, Albus Bulbasaur said:

What's a good way to prepare for marathons? I've never done one or anywhere near, been working at 5ks and have got myself down to 28mins but after that I'm absolutely knackered. Would like to try and do some more long distance stuff.

As above, just add miles slowly, worry about the speed during shorter training runs, and find a good sports massage therapist when you start getting past half marathon distance as IMO you need to treat yourself to a few.

On the flip side, would also say to a degree nothing really prepares you for marathon #1, so try and just enjoy the moment if you go for it.

@keptie -I finally sneaked behind enemy lines at West Links this morning. That last mile coming back feels like it takes forever!

On holiday in the 'gorms next week and apparently there's a new hardest parkrun in Scotland at Faskally. May have to investigate.

On 02/07/2022 at 20:37, Scorge said:

On holiday in the 'gorms next week and apparently there's a new hardest parkrun in Scotland at Faskally. May have to investigate.

I can confirm it's a devious bugger of a run. A great downhill finish though.

Currently doing marathon training with my brother. He’s running Richmond in September as his first. I’m just there for fitness and support but loving the running. Pacing at about 10 min miles the now but the plan is about to tip over half marathon distance weekly. Any advice about preparation for this?

I will look into sports massage as said above.

On 06/07/2022 at 10:55, Sammo said:

Pacing at about 10 min miles the now but the plan is about to tip over half marathon distance weekly. Any advice about preparation for this?

What sort of distance are you covering now, and how many times a week are you (is your brother) running? What do those runs look like? 

With it being his first, it's tricky to get the balance of slowly increasing the mileage with the temptation to run too fast every session and overtrain.

General rule is no more than 10% per week increase in mileage with every 4th week being fewer miles to aid recovery. Make sure long run is slow. If it's not easy to talk to your brother, you're going too fast!

Apologies if that's too basic - wasn't sure where to pitch it!

On 12/06/2022 at 16:41, Stu said:

Back running for the best part of two weeks now. Thought I'd done my gluts/piriformis on Wednesday to the extent I tried to get a physio appointment but they've no space for weeks. Went for a walk last night and it didn't seem too bad so decided to run this morning and no problems (and no issues since), which is a bit bizarre. Think it was going up a steep hill on Wednesday that might have caused it and stayed relatively flat today - even if my watch did claim I'd done 1,500ft of elevation 🤣

Have managed to get back up to 10 miles so, injuries aside, Great North Run should be OK. Definitely seems more doable then when I was struggling through six miles a few weeks back. Just glad it's not London this year.

Anyone have any tips to build up football fitness/endurance, had a look at a few things but thought id ask in here as reading the thread and a lot of people seem to be quite knowledgeable 

I do 5k runs (mixed between flat runs and routes with hills) and at my best i can get down to just over 24mins (flat route, hills are under 25mins but pushing it lol) 

I always thought doing shorter runs but at faster pace would be beneficial, but recently i feel at football that im not as fit as i could be

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Anyone have any tips to build up football fitness/endurance, had a look at a few things but thought id ask in here as reading the thread and a lot of people seem to be quite knowledgeable 

I do 5k runs (mixed between flat runs and routes with hills) and at my best i can get down to just over 24mins (flat route, hills are under 25mins but pushing it lol) 

I always thought doing shorter runs but at faster pace would be beneficial, but recently i feel at football that im not as fit as i could be

Always found fartlek training useful. It really helps with recovery.