P&b Running Club

2 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

To start with for a 10k the intervals there is a few routes you could go down.

400m effort, 200m/400m recovery x 8 reps
400m effort, equal time rest/1:30 rest x 8 reps

Then start increasing reps, then doing maby 6 x 800m, increasing 800m reps, then 1ks etc

Another one good for flat out speed is 15 second sprint, 15 second rest continuously for 8 min then take a few minutes then do it again for a total of 3 sets.

The key with intervals is not to get too hung up on analysing it. A lot of people use pace formulas such as race pace minus 10 seconds but I think thats taking it a bit too seriously and an easy excuse in the back of your head for going slower. Intervals are meant to hurt and as long as your heart rate is sky high for at least 1:30miniutish+ you will get benifit.

As For fueling a decent health breakfast should be all you need for s 10k.

Half marathon depending on your goal time, under 2 hrs and I wouldn't bother with food and I would imagine water points would be set out. So you don't need to take the extra weight.

Really good advice thanks. I’m getting people telling me I need a gel every 30 mins during a half marathon! 

2 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Really good advice thanks. I’m getting people telling me I need a gel every 30 mins during a half marathon! 

A packet of jelly beans or some haribo generally get me up to around 17km no bother. After that it's more about mental strength than physical strength. Only ever tried energy gel once in my life, and that was towards the end of the 3 peaks challenge. I don't think I could handle that sort of rush more regularly, but I can certainly see why some folk take them. As the cliche goes, it was like rocket fuel.

On gels, if you're going to use them then it's highly recommended to try them in training so you know what'll sit right with you. You don't want your stomach rejecting it (one way or the other...) and you want time to find a taste you can stand.

I've tended to use one for a half marathon, but jelly babies or jelly beans work very well too!

Only ever taken gels when I did the London Marathon a few years back as well as for my long training runs for it. Didn't really notice them making a difference, although as I didn't try runs of that length without them it's impossible to say.

Jelly babies are my sweet of choice. Whatever you take make sure you have them in the packet or they will be a sweaty mush when you go for them.

And if you ever do London you don't need sweets as the spectators will be offering them all the way round (covid allowing). It was a like a 26 mile buffet!

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

@Gnash and @Gaz what is the Stirling Uni parkrun course like? Undulating? Trail/road? 

It's 2 laps around the uni loch, so more or less flat and mostly on gravel paths.  The paths are quite narrow but it's not really busy enough to be an issue.  There's a short moderate climb on tarmac to finish.

Great time, well done! Watched it on TV- very jealous. What was different from the traditional course?
You just drive down for the day?

It didn’t go to shields
It turned halfway but Mile 9- 13 was all uphill
Was looking at sub 90 at 6.5 but the hills on way back just destroyed that notion
Brutal
Stayed at my mates in toon

55 minutes ago, Gnash said:

It's 2 laps around the uni loch, so more or less flat and mostly on gravel paths.  The paths are quite narrow but it's not really busy enough to be an issue.  There's a short moderate climb on tarmac to finish.

Thanks will give it a go in a few weeks when I’m up that way 

Was down in Brighton yesterday to watch a mate do the marathon. He had been training for a year, only for it to be postponed due to Covid, so did another year of solid training. Went on a stag the other week and he only did one night opposed to three as he didn't want to undermine the training he did, he was dedicated to it.

Set off yesterday, and after seven miles he went over his ankle. Ended up walking/limping the rest of it. I don't think I have ever seen someone look so dejected after he finished. 

6 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Was down in Brighton yesterday to watch a mate do the marathon. He had been training for a year, only for it to be postponed due to Covid, so did another year of solid training. Went on a stag the other week and he only did one night opposed to three as he didn't want to undermine the training he did, he was dedicated to it.

Set off yesterday, and after seven miles he went over his ankle. Ended up walking/limping the rest of it. I don't think I have ever seen someone look so dejected after he finished. 

That would be soul destroying, all that hard work and self discipline for that length of time to then get injured in the race no wonder he was gutted. Did well to keep going to the finish though. Take him while to get over that one.

Only once had to abort during a race due to injury but should never have started it tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2021 at 09:53, LondonHMFC said:

There's nothing worse, my exploits in Loch Ness on my 30th birthday doing the last ten miles with a back spasm are still quite fresh in the mind (though I hadn't trained quite as hard though).

Under 24 minutes at parkrun for the first time in a good while this morning. 

morrison - maybe......

Ran my first parkrun today morning first time in a loooong time. Rheinpark Cologne's second week, got round in 23:35 which felt a lot slower from half way, so delighted with that. Great location next to the Rhein and the cathedral in beautiful view.

Sadly only 10 runners though, the organisers need to pull their finger out and get it known.

• 2 weeks later...

Since moving six months ago I've been enjoying morning runs in the nearby forest, but it's getting harder now that it's dark. Despite using a torch it was a bit of a struggle today - the light helps you see where you're going but doesn't really pick out the hidden bumps etc that weren't really an issue when I ran on paths or pavements in the dark.

Been using a torch strapped to my chest so far - might wear my head torch as well to see if that helps. Probably scare the shit out of any wildlife right enough.

I've done 9 parkruns since they returned. Since the first one, I've improved in 6 of the 8 since to get back to knocking on the door of 20 mins. 

A good bit off where I used to be, but feels good.

Shame I'm at Livingston next week which is definitely not going to help my chances of going faster still!

Ultra Tour of Edinburgh done yesterday. First ultra marathon so delighted with a time of 6:36. Shame it’s the last one they’re doing. The pentlands were carnage but survived that and managed the rest of the route and actually enjoyed it!!!