P&b Running Club

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Slowed it down a wee bit last night and added extra distance. Managed a little over 12.5km in 1:18 and felt more than comfortable. Will try and add a bit more distance again next time but will maybe wait until I can go out a little earlier in the evening before doing it, forgot my headlamp last night and a couple of sections were horrendous for visibility after sunset!

What headlamp do you have? Gonna need one for winter. 

2 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Yep I’m in the mix up gang too. One run at a steady pace (increasing distance by 10% each week), interval training at race pace, hill training (🤢) and a parkrun. If I wasn’t a fatty I’d be going for Paris 2022. 

My Couch to 5k was on a pretty flat road and my first parkrun (hilly) was really tough. My hill training really makes a difference.

Signed up for my first 10k as well- might be obsessed. 

Good luck, I used to do a little bit of running in my younger years and hills have always fucked me, definitely worth keeping at it no matter how brutal it seems. 

Just did my week 3 first run, did better than I thought probably because I avoided anything unhealthy today and did the big sprint yesterday, if I hadn't have done that I think the 3 mins would have gave me a fright! 

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

What headlamp do you have? Gonna need one for winter. 

It’s a Petzl something or other. 3 settings, which I found out to my cost last year are useless when it rains or snows.

Anyone wanting to improve their 5k time should be trying to get out for longer runs too. I try and get out for at least one 10k run a week which doesnt have to be at a fast pace. It'll help your endurance allowing you to finish stronger meaning the final lap of Park Run won't be quite as miserable!

Like a lot of you, I started running during lockdown (as my usual sport was knocked on the head by COVID) and joined a group last October. They run two sessions a week doing hills, box runs, paarlauf etc and it's made a big difference to my running. I'm a much stronger runner going up hill and down hill now.

At the start of the year I was getting 20:07 (after a 20:08!) for a 5k and 43:35 for a 10k but a few injuries and COVID have reigned me in a bit. I managed a 20:24 5k on an easy route the other week but it's only this week after a few hard 10k runs that I've managed to get my endurance back.

I'm determined to get under 20 minutes but it's been a frustrating year. It doesn't help that the pubs have opened back up either which has really mucked up my running! 😅

Thanks, mate. I'm sure I'm a little younger than some of you and not exactly coming from a standing (sitting?) start.

My hockey hasn't been on since March 2020 (with training finally returning tomorrow!) but the last season I wasn't happy enough with my fitness. This was a good motivator to push on to improve and get in much better shape for when it returns.

I was only really posting as I saw a couple of guys asking if 10k was necessary to improve 5k times. I'd honestly say it's one of the best things you can do and when I am running regular long runs that is when I see the biggest improvements for my 5k.

Anyone got experience recovering from calf injuries. Mine pinged on Sunday. Kind of pinged about two weeks ago but with rest it felt fine so went for a run. Turns out it’s not been fine and now hurts like all f**k. At the moment my thoughts are complete rest for 8-12 weeks but not sure. I will ask the physio obviously but thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

5 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

Anyone got experience recovering from calf injuries. Mine pinged on Sunday. Kind of pinged about two weeks ago but with rest it felt fine so went for a run. Turns out it’s not been fine and now hurts like all f**k. At the moment my thoughts are complete rest for 8-12 weeks but not sure. I will ask the physio obviously but thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Loads.  I pull a calf muscle every 6 months or so.  The key thing I have learned is to leave it a good 2 weeks after feeling like it's completely healed, then get back into it gradually.  Any sign of the slightest twinge and stop immediately and walk back.

20 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Did my first ever parkrun today as Stirling Uni opened up again.  Great weather for it and not too busy either, I'll definitely go again.

Glad you enjoyed it.

3rd parkrun for me today and I got my 3rd PB although paced myself horribly. Broke 35 mins, but it was a real struggle today. Love Parkrun- lots of fun and something to keep you motivated for getting out during the week. 

On 24/08/2021 at 22:48, BigBo10 said:

Adding to what Gnash says, a physio might recommend building up calf strength (resistance band exercises possibly) or doing more swimming for low impact movement towards the end of recovery.

Cycled up and back to Hazlehead yesterday for Parkrun, and glad it's back. Devil on my shoulder is whispering Stirling Marathon next year......

Adding to what Gnash says, a physio might recommend building up calf strength (resistance band exercises possibly) or doing more swimming for low impact movement towards the end of recovery.
Cycled up and back to Hazlehead yesterday for Parkrun, and glad it's back. Devil on my shoulder is whispering Stirling Marathon next year......

Thanks. It’ll be a while anyway. Physio says one of my calf’s is bigger than the other so might need to address that.

Anyone able to recommend a good training plan for a half marathon? Not that I'm targeting one, I just have more motivation for running when I've got something to follow as opposed to just going for a simple jog. Lost interest slightly since coming to the end of the 5k programme that I was initially following.

On 29/08/2021 at 15:51, Scorge said:

Devil on my shoulder is whispering Stirling Marathon next year......

I'm in for this already. Was supposed to be May 2019, but what with one thing or another... Just the two-year delay on making the startline.

PS - Go for it!

4 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Anyone able to recommend a good training plan for a half marathon? Not that I'm targeting one, I just have more motivation for running when I've got something to follow as opposed to just going for a simple jog. Lost interest slightly since coming to the end of the 5k programme that I was initially following.

This one got me down to 1:40 two years ago.

https://www.halfmarathons.net/half-marathon-training-plan-for-intermediate-busy-runners/

Anyone done the Parkrun at Stirling Uni? I did it this morning, I'm nowhere near as fast as I used to be but unless my GPS is off it seems a good 300m longer than 5k.

4th parkrun for me today- I love this event. Going away for the weekend in a few weeks and have already scoped the closest PR event- nerdy as feck.

I ran much more controlled today. My pacing was great- I’m trying to maintain a consistent effort rather than being overly concerned about split times. Fingers crossed for a PB.

Noticing some inch loss around my waist (although not lots of weight loss annoyingly). All this running and reasonably sensible eating must pay off at some point… 

Happy running/jogging folks.

ETA- took 61 secs off my best time. Loving getting a PB every week but I know it won’t be this way forever 😂

Edited by Nutz_the_Squirrel

Help please:

Firstly, I’m training for 10k and will then go into a half marathon plan. I’m doing an easy pace ‘long’ run increasing in distance by 10% weekly, an interval run (source of my confusion), a hill run, and a 5k per week.

I’m not sure I’m on the right track with interval runs. I want to use these to get some speed in my legs. As part of the above plan (10k then half marathon), what should my interval training look like?

Next, I was reading about fuelling (ahead of half marathon work) and the internet is a cavernous cesspit of contradiction. Can someone give me a really basic guide to gels and stuff. I love running for it’s simplicity- I’ve done other sports like golf where I’ve experienced paralysis by analysis and can’t be bothered getting bogged down in this. In my dad’s running days, he got by with water and some segments of orange!

Help please:
Firstly, I’m training for 10k and will then go into a half marathon plan. I’m doing an easy pace ‘long’ run increasing in distance by 10% weekly, an interval run (source of my confusion), a hill run, and a 5k per week.
I’m not sure I’m on the right track with interval runs. I want to use these to get some speed in my legs. As part of the above plan (10k then half marathon), what should my interval training look like?
Next, I was reading about fuelling (ahead of half marathon work) and the internet is a cavernous cesspit of contradiction. Can someone give me a really basic guide to gels and stuff. I love running for it’s simplicity- I’ve done other sports like golf where I’ve experienced paralysis by analysis and can’t be bothered getting bogged down in this. In my dad’s running days, he got by with water and some segments of orange!
To start with for a 10k the intervals there is a few routes you could go down.

400m effort, 200m/400m recovery x 8 reps
400m effort, equal time rest/1:30 rest x 8 reps

Then start increasing reps, then doing maby 6 x 800m, increasing 800m reps, then 1ks etc

Another one good for flat out speed is 15 second sprint, 15 second rest continuously for 8 min then take a few minutes then do it again for a total of 3 sets.

The key with intervals is not to get too hung up on analysing it. A lot of people use pace formulas such as race pace minus 10 seconds but I think thats taking it a bit too seriously and an easy excuse in the back of your head for going slower. Intervals are meant to hurt and as long as your heart rate is sky high for at least 1:30miniutish+ you will get benifit.

As For fueling a decent health breakfast should be all you need for s 10k.

Half marathon depending on your goal time, under 2 hrs and I wouldn't bother with food and I would imagine water points would be set out. So you don't need to take the extra weight.