P&b Running Club

First race since lockdown Forfar 10k, was looking to get under 45 mins so happy with 43.16 in as near perfect conditions as you can get here for running windless and dull. Good turnout and good to be back.

First race for me too yesterday - 10k hill run (Brodick Glen Cloy race).  Made it round in under an hour, which was the target.  

It was great watching decent club runners walking at points on the climb out of Brodick.  Made me feel so much better about having to walk myself!

19 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

First interval session (32 min 5k pace) tonight. Euff. Can definitely see already how this will help me in the long run (sic) but glad to see the back of it til next week. How’s everyone else getting on? What are you training for? Any parkrunners here? 

Went out last night after an 8 day break forced upon me by another period of hot weather. 10k in 57 minutes, but could probably have pushed myself a little more.

Managed to get the Aargau half marathon people to put me in for next year in May instead of their rescheduled effort which is in a week. Quite literally miles off being fit for it right now, and if the weather takes another wee jump up the way I'd likely have died en route. Will stick with trying to keep things ticking over until October or so and ramp things up again as I did last winter.

20 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

First interval session (32 min 5k pace) tonight. Euff. Can definitely see already how this will help me in the long run (sic) but glad to see the back of it til next week. How’s everyone else getting on? What are you training for? Any parkrunners here? 

Your gonna be hitting your 30 minute 5k target soon. keep going.

Not training specifically for anything just now other than trying to keep fit but will enter a race now and then to keep it interesting. Do the occasional park run when work allows at Montrose.

Wee FYI, if you have Strava there is a Pie & Bovril running club. I just joined it after years of meaning to. I find it a great motivator when I can’t be fucked doing anything. A quick look on Strava and seeing folk i know or folk in the groups I am in doing something makes me want to get out and get going. I would also recommend it as a way of competing with yourself, even if you don’t join a group or follow anyone on there. Being able to look back and track my progress to either beat what i have done or get back to where I was definitely gets me in the mood to go out

4 hours ago, keptie said:

Your gonna be hitting your 30 minute 5k target soon. keep going.

Not training specifically for anything just now other than trying to keep fit but will enter a race now and then to keep it interesting. Do the occasional park run when work allows at Montrose.

I’m a MapMyRun loser. I like the app so will stick with it.

Just watched a YouTube video suggesting that I should be doing a 10 mile run each week as part of my 5k training.

0424C9A7-9F25-4290-B7D5-9A9991C7D2D0.gif

I'm now onto week 3 of the 5k app, I've not taken a rest day every second day but last few days I've been off work so didn't run for two days in a row, went for one today and my body is huuurting. 

Edited by SANTAN

21 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Impressive. Do you do longer stuff too? What’s your training like?

I run 4 times a week. Maximum I do is 6K. That’s more due to not having much time to stay out longer due to my young family. Iv started pacing myself better recently as well which has helped the consistency 

2 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Off to my second parkrun. Any time improvement would be gratefully received.

HAS to be better. Didn’t stop for a wee walk today and I smashed the hill sections (after starting hill training and interval training). I await the text from the Parkrun team. 

ETA- 35:10 which is brilliant for me and 2:23 quicker than last week. Really annoying not to get under 35 mins though! 

Edited by Nutz_the_Squirrel

Was going to have a day off today but I scranned a grab bag of Monster Munch so decided to switch it up and just do a shorter more intense run and nailed 1.25km in 10 mins, which I know isn't that impressive but considering 2 weeks back I did 3km in 40 mins I'm very happy with that. I've always been shite at intense running rather than a slow jog but feel like with the treadmill it's easier than going out for a gut bursting run. I've been making sure I'm running with good posture and for someone that generally slumps about I must say my back keeps on killing me after my runs, I'm hoping that's muscle being built up rather than some form type of issue. 

I know hee-haw santan but I stuck religiously to Cto5k as I wanted to go with a tried and trusted method. There were a few weeks when I fancied an extra run so just repeated my last one. I suppose that any run is better than no run as long as you aren’t going too fast/long and getting rest days in too. 

On 21/08/2021 at 10:29, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

ETA- 35:10 which is brilliant for me and 2:23 quicker than last week. Really annoying not to get under 35 mins though! 

Well done. I did C25K as well and found it really helpful. I'm a yo-yo with my weight, in the past five years I've been anywhere from 13st 13lbs to 17st 2lbs. I don't run too often but at my lightest there I still couldn't get under 30mins for a 5km. My mate who is a personal trainer advised me to go on three different runs a week to reduce my time - and it worked a treat. So on a Monday I would do 5x1km runs, pushing myself to go faster than my normal pace, and having 45sec breaks in between. On a Wednesday I'd run for 30mins exact, and a Friday would be a 5km run. It was hardly an incredible time I got down to - 29min20sec - but I was delighted with it.

On 21/08/2021 at 10:29, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Just means you've got a new target for next week!

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

My mate who is a personal trainer advised me to go on three different runs a week to reduce my time - and it worked a treat.

Yeah, this absolutely makes a difference. The variety gets your body used to the stresses of going faster or further in each run, and over time you can stitch it all together and you're ready for it. 

Slowed it down a wee bit last night and added extra distance. Managed a little over 12.5km in 1:18 and felt more than comfortable. Will try and add a bit more distance again next time but will maybe wait until I can go out a little earlier in the evening before doing it, forgot my headlamp last night and a couple of sections were horrendous for visibility after sunset!

Yep I’m in the mix up gang too. One run at a steady pace (increasing distance by 10% each week), interval training at race pace, hill training (🤢) and a parkrun. If I wasn’t a fatty I’d be going for Paris 2022. 

My Couch to 5k was on a pretty flat road and my first parkrun (hilly) was really tough. My hill training really makes a difference.

Signed up for my first 10k as well- might be obsessed. 

Edited by Nutz_the_Squirrel