P&b Running Club

Getting right into running for the first time in years (Hand was very much forced, agreed to go up Ben Nevis with boys training for a half marathon). Been at it for 3/4 weeks now running somewhere between 15 and 20k a week and really enjoying it. 

Attempted my first 10k on Friday just passed without even completing the couch to 5k which was a mistake. Hopefully get that time down under the hour in the next month or so.

8F0A2CFF-1FB6-4180-B1BA-74BDF7028EEC.jpeg

5 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Getting right into running for the first time in years (Hand was very much forced, agreed to go up Ben Nevis with boys training for a half marathon). Been at it for 3/4 weeks now running somewhere between 15 and 20k a week and really enjoying it. 

Attempted my first 10k on Friday just passed without even completing the couch to 5k which was a mistake. Hopefully get that time down under the hour in the next month or so.

8F0A2CFF-1FB6-4180-B1BA-74BDF7028EEC.jpeg

I’d be delighted with that. I’m still struggling my way through Cto5k finishing up week 8 today. I don’t think that I’ll be covering the 5k distance by the end so will need to increase my run times to run 5k without stopping. Going to combine that with some interval training (running 1k at 6 mins/km then walking for 3 mins x 5) and some parkruns when they are back open, before trying to push towards a 10K distance. 

Quite addictive. 

26 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I’d be delighted with that. I’m still struggling my way through Cto5k finishing up week 8 today. I don’t think that I’ll be covering the 5k distance by the end so will need to increase my run times to run 5k without stopping. Going to combine that with some interval training (running 1k at 6 mins/km then walking for 3 mins x 5) and some parkruns when they are back open, before trying to push towards a 10K distance. 

Quite addictive. 

It's primarily interval training that I've been doing for the 3 weeks. That 10k above was done following an 8 minutes of jogging 2 minute of walking timeframe. 

I was far from fit when I started and to be honest I still am but I knew I would be well beyond the very starting steps of the Cto5K so had initially opted to go with a 7 minutes of jogging followed by 2 minutes of walking and repeating that 3 times but I found that far too tough so reigned it in to 5/3 x 3 for a bit. Intention is to start ramping it up within the next two weeks to around 12 minutes running with a 2 minute walk. My best time for a 5k at the moment is around 29:30 so keen to get a minute or two chopped off that soon.

It is quite addictive as you say, trying not to get too obsessed with times but being competitive I'm finding it quite hard.

3 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

It's primarily interval training that I've been doing for the 3 weeks. That 10k above was done following an 8 minutes of jogging 2 minute of walking timeframe. 

I was far from fit when I started and to be honest I still am but I knew I would be well beyond the very starting steps of the Cto5K so had initially opted to go with a 7 minutes of jogging followed by 2 minutes of walking and repeating that 3 times but I found that far too tough so reigned it in to 5/3 x 3 for a bit. Intention is to start ramping it up within the next two weeks to around 12 minutes running with a 2 minute walk. My best time for a 5k at the moment is around 29:30 so keen to get a minute or two chopped off that soon.

It is quite addictive as you say, trying not to get too obsessed with times but being competitive I'm finding it quite hard.

I just walked-ran 5k in 40 minutes in week 8 of Cto5k (28 minutes running non-stop) there which I’m happy with as my goal is to run 5k in under 30 minutes by the end of the year.  Embarrassing goal for someone under 40 but my fitness was literally non existent up until 8 weeks ago when I was dying after a 1 minute interval jog. Better than doing nothing I suppose. 

23 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I just walked-ran 5k in 40 minutes in week 8 of Cto5k (28 minutes running non-stop) there which I’m happy with as my goal is to run 5k in under 30 minutes by the end of the year.  Embarrassing goal for someone under 40 but my fitness was literally non existent up until 8 weeks ago when I was dying after a 1 minute interval jog. Better than doing nothing I suppose. 

That's great well done . Keep at it and you'll hit sub 30 before you know it.  And get that embarrassing goal nonsense out yer heid , it's your goal and it's stretching your abilities and that's f*cking admirable . 

Just now, JamesP_81 said:

That's great well done . Keep at it and you'll hit sub 30 before you know it.  And get that embarrassing goal nonsense out yer heid , it's your goal and it's stretching your abilities and that's f*cking admirable . 

Cheers James really appreciate that. A bit like @Chinatoon Bairn I get a bit obsessed which often leads to binge watching YouTube vids and reading online and seeing 1000s of ‘how to break 20mins for a 5k’ videos is a bit disheartening. 

Im enjoying it, which is the main thing.  Thanks again- that was a boost. 

5 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Cheers James really appreciate that. A bit like @Chinatoon Bairn I get a bit obsessed which often leads to binge watching YouTube vids and reading online and seeing 1000s of ‘how to break 20mins for a 5k’ videos is a bit disheartening. 

No worries bud . I know what you mean about getting obsessed about things ,I've tried all sorts of things like alternating what footfall you breath out on, what to do with your arms , making music playlists that perfectly match my breathing needed to hit a specific time etc.... But ultimately the best thing I've found to do is just stop thinking about running and run.  

I started running about 5 years ago after a good decade or more of inactivity and could hardly run the length of myself to start. Always had the dream of running a sub 20 parkrun but at my absolute peak I only just managed to break 25 and realised that going from 25 to 20 is a MASSIVE jump that I'm happy to accept is beyond me. I'm now knocking out 5k in about 30 mins regularly albeit I'm now 40 (only by a few months tho!)

14 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Can't reiterate James' point enough. Everyone progresses at different rates.

I'm only 21 and have a quite a big stride thanks to being ~6'4" hence why I'm aiming for what you might consider very quick times. Add in the fact that I as well used to do long distance running regularly as a wean I can't help but compare my current times with those that I used to achieve (Somehow used to get 6/7 minutes a mile regularly before I was even in high school).

Jogging continuously for 28 minutes is seriously good going. I opted for 10/2x3 last night which was a proper struggle for me with my previous high only being 8 minutes.

You'll get to your goal in no time, even if you do hit a point where you feel like you're stalling always remember to look at how far you've come since beginning the training programme and be proud of it. Keep at it mate.

15 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Anyone going under the 20 minute mark for a 5k is doing exceptionally well. It’s a benchmark the vast majority of runners will never need to worry about beating.

4 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

20 minutes for 5k is an absolute mentalists pace. If I can bring it down to 25 minutes at some point I'll be over the moon.

My best ever was 22:15. That was about 6 years ago and I was running almost every day and constantly improving my times. Now that I haven't run in years and am really just getting back into running and exercising, it's made me realise how absolutely mental doing a 5k in 22:15 is, never mind sub-20 mins.

I did my first 5k in probably 3 years recently - just at the gym on a treadmill. I worked up to it a bit but that was my first attempt and my time was 46:04😂

Really just wanted to do the distance without having to stop and give me a time to aim for and improve on.

Newbie questions-
do you need to register beforehand (I’ve got a barcode) or can you just rock up?
how does the token thing work and how does this link to getting an official time?! 
- Get your barcode
- Turn up, run
- Get handed a position token at the end
- Get the barcode and token scanned
- Wait for the result to be posted

10 minutes ago, true_rover said:

- Get your barcode
- Turn up, run
- Get handed a position token at the end
- Get the barcode and token scanned
- Wait for the result to be posted

Absolutely - you only need to get your barcode once.  No need to register for any given run.

It’sa great thing for getting your 10k times down too - I’ve really missed the competitive (but not) bit.  I got down to 21 minutes just before lockdown, and at the moment I would struggle to break 25.  I was 45, and now at 47, I think sub-20 has finally gone…

I know its not a race, but it is if you want it to be.

Absolutely - you only need to get your barcode once.  No need to register for any given run.
It’sa great thing for getting your 10k times down too - I’ve really missed the competitive (but not) bit.  I got down to 21 minutes just before lockdown, and at the moment I would struggle to break 25.  I was 45, and now at 47, I think sub-20 has finally gone…
I know its not a race, but it is if you want it to be.
I miss it - think my long run fitness is still what it was pre lockdown but I'm definitely missing some top end pace that comes from some time running hard with other people.

Newbie questions-
do you need to register beforehand (I’ve got a barcode) or can you just rock up?
how does the token thing work and how does this link to getting an official time?! 

Your questions appear to have been answered!

If you become a regular at one it's worth investing in one of the rubber wristbands with your barcode on it. Pretty sure there is a link to the store on the website. Very handy.

In terms of times, my best 5k is 18.52 when I was about 18. Since then I've been 19 odds a couple of times but never sub-19 again. Last time I was under 20 was at the Sligo parkrun in 2018 at 19.30. Best I've ever gotten in a solo run (not a race/parkrun) is 20.13 last year when I got obsessed with trying to get sub 20 during lockdown but just ended up hurting myself![emoji23]

Hoping a parkrun in the next few months will get me back into the 19s.

That's brilliant mate. I'm getting back into it this week after the Euros and 3 weeks off work during it saw me do f**k all. Managed two 20 minute runs this week to get back into it, got my 2nd Covid vaccine yesterday and went out today but had to stop after only 3 minutes as I felt a bit funny, will see how I feel over the next few days

12 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
On 04/08/2021 at 18:06, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

That's brilliant mate. I'm getting back into it this week after the Euros and 3 weeks off work during it saw me do f**k all. Managed two 20 minute runs this week to get back into it, got my 2nd Covid vaccine yesterday and went out today but had to stop after only 3 minutes as I felt a bit funny, will see how I feel over the next few days

Good luck!