P&b Running Club

Going to try and get back to nearer sharpness this summer and entered the Great Scottish Half as an incentive, contrary to my planned retirement of anything over 10k (had reached 10 reasonably paced miles by the start of March before my calf went).

First sports massage in about two years yesterday, f**king near whiteout pain getting the legs rolled back into spec....

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2021 at 17:53, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Couch to 5K app completed today with my furthest distance too, chuffed to bits.

Looking forward to going back out on Thursday without having to worry about the clock and hopefully I can continue to make progress as I go on

Well done. I’m on week 2 having never done running before. I’m in shocking condition but doing well so far. Only issues is occasional really sore shins after and sometimes during a run. Any advice on this welcomed. I am running with a standard athletic trainer- when is it time for a good running shoe and again any advice welcomed on buying these.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a combination of weather, laziness, injury and hangovers, I've hardly run at all this year. Did a 5km the other day and clocked in at 28m which is nearly 6 minutes slower than last year. Decided to treat myself to a new smartwatch (Honor Magic Watch 2)... 

One of its features is telling you your heart rate. I went for a slow jog with my mate on Friday and on the 3rd km, it started going haywire and telling me to calm my jets cos my heartrate was too high. It was at 178, and apparently your heart rate shouldn't exceed 220 minus your age (i.e. 177). 

The thing is, I wasn't even going that fast cos my mate is slower than me. I've never measured my heartrate before but I'm pretty sure when I'm knocking my pan in, it would go a lot higher than 200. 

Does this mean I'm over-exerting myself? I appreciate I should really be asking my doctor / medical professionals this, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts P+B. 

Well done. I’m on week 2 having never done running before. I’m in shocking condition but doing well so far. Only issues is occasional really sore shins after and sometimes during a run. Any advice on this welcomed. I am running with a standard athletic trainer- when is it time for a good running shoe and again any advice welcomed on buying these.
It's time for good running shoes NOW.

Expect some shin splints to begin with, just rest up, stretch and then get back out there when healed. Remember to do dynamic stretches before and static after your running, it'll help tremendously early on.

32 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Due to a combination of weather, laziness, injury and hangovers, I've hardly run at all this year. Did a 5km the other day and clocked in at 28m which is nearly 6 minutes slower than last year. Decided to treat myself to a new smartwatch (Honor Magic Watch 2)... 

One of its features is telling you your heart rate. I went for a slow jog with my mate on Friday and on the 3rd km, it started going haywire and telling me to calm my jets cos my heartrate was too high. It was at 178, and apparently your heart rate shouldn't exceed 220 minus your age (i.e. 177). 

The thing is, I wasn't even going that fast cos my mate is slower than me. I've never measured my heartrate before but I'm pretty sure when I'm knocking my pan in, it would go a lot higher than 200. 

Does this mean I'm over-exerting myself? I appreciate I should really be asking my doctor / medical professionals this, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts P+B. 

Just had a look at the Honor Magic Watch and it's functions looks like a good buy. I've had a couple of cheaper smart watches with heart rate readings which i wasn't convinced with so bought a CooSpoo heart rate sensor that you strap on to your chest to get an accurate reading and found the watches gave a higher reading of about 10 to 15 beats per minute or were just erratic, that's not to say your readings are erratic or wrong as the watch you have seems excellent. At 43 your heart rate should not be reaching 200bpm, not that i'm a doctor. My heart rate peaks at 160 to 163 which is the maximum for my age unless i haven't done any sort of warm up it will spike to maybe 170-180 for the first mile so i warm up now for 5 mins.

I don't think you're over exerting if it's just a few beats over what it should be but don't take my word for it.

5 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I suspect your watch is talking pish, in fairness. Same thing happens when my girlfriend heads out for a run (it's a Garmin, mind). It gives out bonkers readings. I think she wears it a little loose sometimes.

Could be it's just taking some time to adjust if it's an early run? If it was a comfortable run for you, I'd be surprised if you weren't somewhere in the 120-150 range. Even balls out efforts should only be hitting the 170s-180s. 

Recommendation: find the setting that tells you off, and turn it off.

Cheers guys. I should really have done this before, but my pulse is currently around 70bpm and the watch is claiming 85 so it's talking out its fundament. 

And yes Keptie - I need to work out how to turn off notifications. The one run I had was barking notifications at me every kilometre - including the slightly bizarre "MINUS EIGHT. POOR" at the 1.5km mark :lol:

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers guys. I should really have done this before, but my pulse is currently around 70bpm and the watch is claiming 85 so it's talking out its fundament. 

And yes Keptie - I need to work out how to turn off notifications. The one run I had was barking notifications at me every kilometre - including the slightly bizarre "MINUS EIGHT. POOR" at the 1.5km mark :lol:

It was  @morrison  who told you to switch off your annoying notifications and i agree, too much information sometimes, you just really need your pace and distance notifications when out running imo.

On 04/07/2021 at 11:38, Stellaboz said:

It's time for good running shoes NOW.

Expect some shin splints to begin with, just rest up, stretch and then get back out there when healed. Remember to do dynamic stretches before and static after your running, it'll help tremendously early on.

I got some great shoes- what a difference! On week 4 now and feeling really confident- it’s ridiculously addictive. Shins not sore at all now (really bad in week 1). 

Need to sort the diet tho…. 

• 3 weeks later...

There's a linked progression to 10k if that's what you want to do. Otherwise you can try to gradually improve your pace, find new routes and vary length of your runs e.g. 5, 6,7k depending on your mood. I'm not a serious runner and started with the C25k a few years ago and that's what I generally do. I have to admit, I really enjoy going for a run when on holiday as it gives you a different view of the place.

Took a month off between late June and last week for various reasons(Heatwave, heavy cold, second vaccine, prolonged period of biblical thunderstorms) and my 10k time dropped from an easyish 54/55 minutes to 1:03 last week. Managed another two runs since, brought that back down to almost exactly an hour, and then 57m last night so slowly picking up my pace again. The HM I was due to do in May is in a few weeks. Going to try and get them to register me for next May rather than August, not a fucking chance I will manage it this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to just under 55 minutes last night, though it took a wee bit of a push. Will try and maintain the 2 to 3 runs a week and hopefully it won’t feel so much of an effort again.

45 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Back to just under 55 minutes last night, though it took a wee bit of a push. Will try and maintain the 2 to 3 runs a week and hopefully it won’t feel so much of an effort again.

If you can pull down your 5k time in between your 10k runs, you'll find they'll come down as well hopefully.

43 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

If you can pull down your 5k time in between your 10k runs, you'll find they'll come down as well hopefully.

I’m not too bothered about my times to be honest, other than wanting to be under the hour mark. Problem I have is that I don’t consistently get time to go out and run, so when I do I feel that 5k is a waste of the extra 30 minutes I will have when I’m done!

On 25/07/2021 at 16:48, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Week 7 and still really enjoying this but worried about what happens after I finish the programme. Keen to do some park runs but need a new structured programme to keep me focused. Any tips for life after couch to 5k?

Could always jump straight to a 10k programme. That's my intention once I come to the end of my Cto5K that I've been loosely following for the last 3 or so weeks.