P&b Running Club

Moved house the last week and now a couple of miles from Ae forest. Not really done much trail running but gave it a go this morning, running there and back and taking on one of the mountain bike trails. Loved it - surface wasn't too bad as it was mainly forestry roads and paths and some amazing views. Going to have to get myself some trail shoes - will probably start with some cheap Sports Direct ones and go from there.

ExzkkrgWgAYVtO8?format=jpg&name=large

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Moved house the last week and now a couple of miles from Ae forest. Not really done much trail running but gave it a go this morning, running there and back and taking on one of the mountain bike trails. Loved it - surface wasn't too bad as it was mainly forestry roads and paths and some amazing views. Going to have to get myself some trail shoes - will probably start with some cheap Sports Direct ones and go from there.

ExzkkrgWgAYVtO8?format=jpg&name=large

Trail running is great.

Before the most recent lockdown I started going into the Pentland hills semi regularly and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to get back there.

• 1 month later...
On 15/03/2021 at 10:08, Gordon EF said:

Aye. That's probably a good shout. Before I just got on with it but I was at least starting from some respectable fitness level.

You been out running yet?

Nice morning for a run 5.4 miles in 39 minutes but it felt really hard going breathing out my ass.

1 hour ago, keptie said:

You been out running yet?

Nice morning for a run 5.4 miles in 39 minutes but it felt really hard going breathing out my ass.

Not yet. I'll be moving in a week or so right next to a park so the idea is to start then. That's a great time! I'd be chuffed to hit 5k in 39 minutes as things stand.😂

5 hours ago, true_rover said:

I took part in a race yesterday for the first time in 14 months with a local half marathon. The difficulty of the course and the slower than usual time don't make me any less happy about it!

Are organised races back on now? Can't seem to find the Scottish running guide to find out.

Are organised races back on now? Can't seem to find the Scottish running guide to find out.
Some are - with limits of 200 and staggered starts which keeps them to pretty small.

A company called Blast Running organise some around the Edinburgh area.

Always been a bigger chap but reached the biggest I've been at 19 stone at the start of this year.

Today I completed my first 30 minutes non-stop run in the final week of the Couch to 5K app, was a struggle but was delighted to manage it and the first time I've ran for 30 minutes straight in my life.

I'm slow which is a given with my size and fitness level as I only managed 2.65 miles / 4.2km over the half hour, but the most pleasing thing is that despite finding it hard I wasn't begging for the end and I've managed to run the last few minutes faster than the middle section.

Two more runs for 30 minutes this week and I'll have completed the Couch to 5k app. I can't recommend the app enough, like others I was really worried and a bit embarrassed when the first 2 weeks I was absolutely gasping running 90 second bursts but amazed at how quickly you can build it up.

Once I finish it I plan to stick to 3 runs a week, 2 half hour runs during the week where I hope to build up speed to do 5k in that time and then try running different places at the weekend and just run for as long as I feel I can without looking at clock or distance.

Reading through this thread is inspiring and has helped me with this. I've lost half a stone so far and hope to keep that going too.

I'd like to encourage anybody like me who'd like to get into running but is worried that if somebody at my fitness level can do this then you can too.

14 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Always been a bigger chap but reached the biggest I've been at 19 stone at the start of this year.

Today I completed my first 30 minutes non-stop run in the final week of the Couch to 5K app, was a struggle but was delighted to manage it and the first time I've ran for 30 minutes straight in my life.

I'm slow which is a given with my size and fitness level as I only managed 2.65 miles / 4.2km over the half hour, but the most pleasing thing is that despite finding it hard I wasn't begging for the end and I've managed to run the last few minutes faster than the middle section.

Two more runs for 30 minutes this week and I'll have completed the Couch to 5k app. I can't recommend the app enough, like others I was really worried and a bit embarrassed when the first 2 weeks I was absolutely gasping running 90 second bursts but amazed at how quickly you can build it up.

Once I finish it I plan to stick to 3 runs a week, 2 half hour runs during the week where I hope to build up speed to do 5k in that time and then try running different places at the weekend and just run for as long as I feel I can without looking at clock or distance.

Reading through this thread is inspiring and has helped me with this. I've lost half a stone so far and hope to keep that going too.

I'd like to encourage anybody like me who'd like to get into running but is worried that if somebody at my fitness level can do this then you can too.

Couch to 5K is a brilliant app tbf. Great effort

14 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Another thing to remember when you're starting out running is don't push yourself too fast, or too long too soon. You're more likely to get small, annoying injuries so take your time and use it as part of a wider lifestyle change. You'll begin to really REALLY enjoy the running the longer you turn it into a habit. Good work!

22 hours ago, true_rover said:

Some are - with limits of 200 and staggered starts which keeps them to pretty small.

A company called Blast Running organise some around the Edinburgh area.

Was meant to be doing a HM tomorrow but the b*****ds rescheduled it on the advice of local government. Now pencilled in for the middle of August, when it will most likely be 10 to 15c warmer and blazing sun the whole time. Not a fucking chance I will manage it.

Been struggling for time and motivation the last month or so, but have pushed myself out the door twice in the last 7 days now. 2 x 10k, both around the 55 minute mark. Not great but I am just happy I managed to get out.

21 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Five miles to christen the new trainers tonight. 
Did not realise how bad my old ones were!

Do you go with the same brand of running shoes and stick with what you know or change about ?

Guest bernardblack
16 minutes ago, keptie said:

Do you go with the same brand of running shoes and stick with what you know or change about ?

Went for a change and plumped for the Nike Pegasus (had a Run4it voucher) and they’re much more comfortable for me than the Brooks I had 

22 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Great effort :) When things are a bit more normal you could start doing your local parkrun.

Another thing to remember when you're starting out running is don't push yourself too fast, or too long too soon. You're more likely to get small, annoying injuries so take your time and use it as part of a wider lifestyle change. You'll begin to really REALLY enjoy the running the longer you turn it into a habit. Good work!
Cheers. Yeah, I think little and often is the key

Another 30 minutes done today, slightly better pace than Tuesday even with me going onto an unegotiable farm path and having to turn about.

Only one more run this weekend and I'll have completed the Couch to 5k run set and feel confident I can keep it going.

Screenshot_20210513-124355_MapMyRun.jpeg

Guest bernardblack
59 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Another 30 minutes done today, slightly better pace than Tuesday even with me going onto an unegotiable farm path and having to turn about.

Only one more run this weekend and I'll have completed the Couch to 5k run set and feel confident I can keep it going.

Screenshot_20210513-124355_MapMyRun.jpeg

Great stuff! The app does seem like a tremendous bit of work