P&b Running Club

You probably are just over doing it maybe need to just back off the exercise a bit and  stretch the calf muscles the last thing you want is a sore calf turning into a torn calf, I knew you cycled you also a regular runner?
Nah, only just started again in November (I was only a very casual runner previously - 9 or 10 yrs ago). Got a pair of decent running shoes for Xmas. I expect I'll be out once or twice a week. It's basically a back up if I can't get out on the bike/be arsed with Zwift.

I keep getting one or both sore calves about 3-4 miles into a run, even with compression socks, which is pretty frustrating. Dunno if it's due to already tired-ish legs as I've cycle/use Zwift 3-4 times a week. I did have a rest day before the screenshotted run but my left calf still started bothering me at 3.5 miles. I've got decent running shoes which should suit my gait, so f**k knows.
Screenshot_20210221-163012_Strava.thumb.jpg.95d9fa1b9406805d2beff8d69db97718.jpg
Might be tight glutes? Maby a bit of flexibility couple of times a week could help?

15 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I keep getting one or both sore calves about 3-4 miles into a run, even with compression socks, which is pretty frustrating. Dunno if it's due to already tired-ish legs as I've cycle/use Zwift 3-4 times a week. I did have a rest day before the screenshotted run but my left calf still started bothering me at 3.5 miles. I've got decent running shoes which should suit my gait, so f**k knows.

I don’t really bother with a warm up when running but the one thing I do have to do is a bit of stretching for the reason above. Usually 10-15 minutes in my calves are agonizing if I don’t. I can run through it, but it’s definitely much better if I do a bit of stretching first, usually avoid it completely if I do.

17 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I don’t really bother with a warm up when running but the one thing I do have to do is a bit of stretching for the reason above. Usually 10-15 minutes in my calves are agonizing if I don’t. I can run through it, but it’s definitely much better if I do a bit of stretching first, usually avoid it completely if I do.

Yeah I do tend to give my calves and hammies a bit of a stretch before i go out - maybe not thoroughly enough.

50 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Forgive me if this is no help but I find that dynamic stretching before (not stationary ham pulls or calf stretches) like lunges and the like are better pre-run and stationary stretches are best post-run.

I have literally never stretched (or done any kind of warm up / cool down) before or after a run.

26:22 for 5k last night. Hopefully get back under 25 minutes within a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I have literally never stretched (or done any kind of warm up / cool down) before or after a run.

26:22 for 5k last night. Hopefully get back under 25 minutes within a few weeks.

I wish didn't need to, but my heart feels completely out of rhythm and I get lactic acid build up in my calves and hams. (if I don't warm up/stretch)

Edited by Stellaboz

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I wish didn't need to, but my heart feels completely out of rhythm and I get lactic acid build up in my calves and hams. (if I don't warm up/stretch)

Don't get me wrong, I probably should. At 37 and carrying three extra Lockdown Stones I don't have the legs I used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Managing to get out a little mor often now, but zero consistency in my pace. Done 13.5k at 5:45 pace last night, but the previous 2 runs were both 10k with one bang on 6:00 pace and the other at 5:32 per km.

Not massively fussed by that, mostly I want to increase the distance a little more. Starting to look like the HM I signed up for in May might actually go ahead, so need to find another 8km and maybe start doing the hills again also.

Quite pleased with myself yesterday. I ran the Aberdeen Half marathon in August 2019, in a time of, 2:00:15, which was well inside my target time of 2:10:00 but was obviously a bit miffed not to break 2hrs.

Went out for a 10 mile run yesterday and after 8 miles, was comfortably inside 8:30/mile, so decided I'd keep going and do a half, slowed badly but still finished in 1:56:07.

Now that I've got that milestone out of the way, thinking about trying to up the distances and train for a full marathon.

Got battered with hailstones during today's run, which was not fun!

Thought running club might be back on with the changes in restrictions announced today but Scottish Athletics say you have to keep 5m apart of you're running single file so that's out!

On 12/03/2021 at 18:23, Stu said:

Got battered with hailstones during today's run, which was not fun!

Thought running club might be back on with the changes in restrictions announced today but Scottish Athletics say you have to keep 5m apart of you're running single file so that's out!

Nothing like getting battered with hailstones on a run, great fun😀. At least the ice is all gone now and not worrying about falling on your ass  which has made running a lot more comfortable. Can't see park run coming back any time soon either, i enjoy these wee 5k runs.

Weather was decent here on Friday, took advantage and managed 16.5k in around 90 minutes. Happy enough with that. Was a heavy storm on Saturday and been snowing/hailstones since and expected until at least the weekend. Not sure what I will manage this week if that is the case.

I'm determined to get back into running in 2021. Only a few years ago I was running 20-30 km most weeks and got my 5k time down to about 22:30. Now I can barely jog for 5 minutes without being knackered. Being so sedentary in lockdown has fucked my fitness. It's going to take a while before I can even try running for any length of time. I'm starting easy and making sure I'm doing at least an hour of walking each day now.

50 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Go back to the Couch-5k program, alongside your walking?

Aye. That's probably a good shout. Before I just got on with it but I was at least starting from some respectable fitness level.