P&b Running Club

Cheers guys. Already have "running" gloves. Leggings and top in the post. Probably arrive just in time for me not to need them any more [emoji3]

Just don’t do a Shandon and garish ones that make make people want to hurt you.
I bought a couple of black Nike pairs. Like them that much I ordered a couple more pairs.

21 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've never worn anything except the normal T-shirts and shorts when I run which could be part of the problem! I did the Helsinki parkrun in late November a couple of years ago, and they told me that you can always spot a British parkrunner a mile-off cos they never seem to dress up "properly" for the cold weather. 

That sounds like me. Everyone else at the park where I run are all togged up and me in t-shirt and shorts. Probably not as cold down here though.

Just stumbled across this thread. Seems it may give me some motivation to keep going. Due to a hernia op and the restrictions last year I spent so long doing nothing. Decided to get my finger out and started a 100km January challenge. I hate running, it bores the life out of me. My usual exercise is football, playing and refereeing but obviously that's been out for the last 9 months! My mate has come for my last 2 runs and its been much better so maybe thats the solution, but he wont be able to come every time. Any advice on how to stop it being so boring? Currently done 22km of my challenge and planning another 10k today. 

Guest bernardblack
Just stumbled across this thread. Seems it may give me some motivation to keep going. Due to a hernia op and the restrictions last year I spent so long doing nothing. Decided to get my finger out and started a 100km January challenge. I hate running, it bores the life out of me. My usual exercise is football, playing and refereeing but obviously that's been out for the last 9 months! My mate has come for my last 2 runs and its been much better so maybe thats the solution, but he wont be able to come every time. Any advice on how to stop it being so boring? Currently done 22km of my challenge and planning another 10k today. 

I usually listen to a podcast instead of music when I’m running. Could start one and not let yourself listen to the next episode unless you’re running?

On 07/01/2021 at 07:46, Ross. said:

I’m going to say the under armor app is more accurate. I base that on switching from Strava to using the Garmin watch I bought earlier this year and everything being 30 seconds to a minute slower almost instantly.

On 07/01/2021 at 09:57, Ross. said:

That would make sense. The amount of times Strava wouldn’t connect to GPS either for part of my run or at all  was one of the reasons I bought a watch.

I think Strava isnt bad in fairness,  I've got a TomTom sports watch but every now and then forget to charge it so use the app instead ,not had too many issues and pretty accurate,  haven't used Strava much for longer runs right enough 

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Nice work fella! 22km so far is a great start, especially given the weather since New Year. 

Re: the boredom. Obviously there's music / podcasts, and varying the routes that you run can keep things interesting. I used to get bored running - to the point that would never go running without my phone / headphones - but then I did a HM where headphones were banned and I was forced to run for nearly 2 hours with just my thoughts to keep me amused. I did it and actually found it was easier to concentrate on my breathing etc, and I've never run with headphones since. The only drawback was some well-meaning p***k about mile 5 start up a conversation with me about the Dukla Prague top I was wearing. 

Smashing start mate!
I was similar to you, used to see running for runnings sake as pointless and never enjoyed it. Stick with it and track your runs. Seeing the steady improvement keeps me at it. When I started (last summer) I was happy with 5k under 30 mins, this year my aim is for a sub 20 5k and it’s achievable (my current pb is about 22 mins I think). Secondly, get running gear (hat, gloves, jacket, shoes). Gives you less chance of bailing if it’s cold / miserable.

2 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Smashing start mate!
I was similar to you, used to see running for runnings sake as pointless and never enjoyed it. Stick with it and track your runs. Seeing the steady improvement keeps me at it. When I started (last summer) I was happy with 5k under 30 mins, this year my aim is for a sub 20 5k and it’s achievable (my current pb is about 22 mins I think). Secondly, get running gear (hat, gloves, jacket, shoes). Gives you less chance of bailing if it’s cold / miserable.

Just finished 10k this morning and felt quite good tbh. Definitely helps having my mate running along with me. The cold doesn't bother me too much, got underarmour hat etc anyway so always pretty comfortable, it is genuinely the boredom that gets me. I do enjoy seeing the improvement mind you so thats keeping me going just now. Plus I'm raising money for charity while doing it so don't want to let them down.

I do need a decent pair of running trainers, reckon that will help a bit too.

• 2 weeks later...

Another 10k down tonight. 5 minutes slower than my last effort, so back over the hour mark, but f**k me was it exciting. with black ice covering a few patches of the route I take. I always thought you were meant to go faster on ice.

Guest bernardblack
Anyone had any grief for running during lockdown? Got an earful today for breathing all over the place.

On this note...couples that don’t move into single file as I’m running past....c***s

14 hours ago, mathematics said:

Anyone had any grief for running during lockdown? Got an earful today for breathing all over the place.

Heard folk on tv and radio moaning about it but never in person. 

"Runners breathing heavily" are the new covidiots apparently. Never mind the amount out of times I put myself at risk running out onto roads to give space to a group of people out for their ludicrously slow walk and they're not moving for any c**t.