P&b Running Club

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Checked my weight this morning after my run and a shower. Under 75 kg, pretty delighted considering all the booze and shit I've eaten over Christmas.

I'll not bother with the usual Happy Gilmore joke. 

After over 125 activities and 750km last year, I've done my usual trick of not lifting an arse-cheek in the last 3 weeks - to the point where I've pretty much undone all my good work in the last year. 

image.png.e787a2704642496767ce7e0e4ae80e57.png

I do it every year. I don't mind if it's a bit chilly. It's the ice, sogginess and darkness that stop me going out Dec-February. How do you get round this problem?

Guest bernardblack

Ran last night and the ice was horrendous. Maybe helped to just go at a very slow pace and get the 5km in.

Hate the first run back, legs are gone today and will be worse tomorrow

7 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I do it every year. I don't mind if it's a bit chilly. It's the ice, sogginess and darkness that stop me going out Dec-February. How do you get round this problem?

Maybe head out before work or over lunch, if that's an option? It's light, at least. Or even head out around 3.30ish and work a bit later if you have that flexibility.

Used to be able to suggest the treadmill (which I hate) but that'll be the gyms closed until God knows when.

Other motivator could simply be beating or trying to get closer to old times for certain routes...we've probably all lost a bit of fitness these last nine months or so, after all.

1 hour ago, morrison said:

Maybe head out before work or over lunch, if that's an option? It's light, at least. Or even head out around 3.30ish and work a bit later if you have that flexibility.

Used to be able to suggest the treadmill (which I hate) but that'll be the gyms closed until God knows when.

Other motivator could simply be beating or trying to get closer to old times for certain routes...we've probably all lost a bit of fitness these last nine months or so, after all.

Cheers Morrison. I'm actually "between jobs" at the moment, so daytime isn't an issue. I hate gyms anyway, but maybe I should look into buying a treadmill ... I was needing a new clothes rack anyway :)

Interesting what you say about trying to get old routes. I know if I went and did the same route as I posted in the pic, I'd be at least 2 minutes slower which would not be a good motivator, so I'll try and find a good route (and do a shite time that I can then improve upon!). 

Another 10k done tonight, 1 minute faster than the last effort. It was 0c and the snow was on and off through out. Fortunately, the paths here are well gritted, so it was a piece of piss from that point of view, which made it almost perfect running weather for me.

I’ve been running with the bird for a few months now since football stopped and running with someone else has really kept me motivated as I’m prone to getting bored and sacking it. Although I think we’ve pretty much reached her ceiling now as we did a 22 min 20 sec 5k last night. 

I’ve also recently switched from the Under Armour app to Strava and seem to be magically much faster. Anyone any idea which is more accurate? 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

7 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I’ve been running with the bird for a few months now since football stopped and running with someone else has really kept me motivated as I’m prone to getting bored and sacking it. Although I think we’ve pretty much reached her ceiling now as we did a 22 min 20 sec 5k last night. 

I’ve also recently switched from the Under Armour app to Strava and seem to be magically much faster. Anyone any idea which is more accurate? 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

I’m going to say the under armor app is more accurate. I base that on switching from Strava to using the Garmin watch I bought earlier this year and everything being 30 seconds to a minute slower almost instantly.

I’m going to say the under armor app is more accurate. I base that on switching from Strava to using the Garmin watch I bought earlier this year and everything being 30 seconds to a minute slower almost instantly.
I think that's more that phone GPS is dreadful in comparison to a watch than any apps!

28 minutes ago, true_rover said:
2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I think that's more that phone GPS is dreadful in comparison to a watch than any apps!

That would make sense. The amount of times Strava wouldn’t connect to GPS either for part of my run or at all  was one of the reasons I bought a watch.

I'll not bother with the usual Happy Gilmore joke. 
After over 125 activities and 750km last year, I've done my usual trick of not lifting an arse-cheek in the last 3 weeks - to the point where I've pretty much undone all my good work in the last year. 
image.png.e787a2704642496767ce7e0e4ae80e57.png

Done my last couple of runs with a snood / buff thing over my mouth and nose. Not only do I look bad ass I think it helps with breathing the cold air. Know your body is going to heat up once you get going but feel it’s helping me until then - bit less put off by the fact it’s baltic out

6 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Done my last couple of runs with a snood / buff thing over my mouth and nose. Not only do I look bad ass I think it helps with breathing the cold air. Know your body is going to heat up once you get going but feel it’s helping me until then - bit less put off by the fact it’s baltic out

I've never worn anything except the normal T-shirts and shorts when I run which could be part of the problem! I did the Helsinki parkrun in late November a couple of years ago, and they told me that you can always spot a British parkrunner a mile-off cos they never seem to dress up "properly" for the cold weather. 

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've never worn anything except the normal T-shirts and shorts when I run which could be part of the problem! I did the Helsinki parkrun in late November a couple of years ago, and they told me that you can always spot a British parkrunner a mile-off cos they never seem to dress up "properly" for the cold weather. 

Get a base layer top or something. I've got a couple of under armour ones and they are great for Winter. You won't overheat in them either (unless you're silly and wear them in Summer or something).

I’ve become accustomed to wearing leggings under my shorts. Gloves are a must as well.

Guest bernardblack

I’ve become accustomed to wearing leggings under my shorts. Gloves are a must as well.

Leggings for me too. Bloody comfy I must say

29 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers guys. Already have "running" gloves. Leggings and top in the post. Probably arrive just in time for me not to need them any more :D

Leggings are a must.

The biggest benefit is they remove soon of the dread of going into the cold which is worse than actually being in it.