P&b Running Club

Going to have to go out for a run, first in months, due to lack of options I enjoy more. How do folk that dont overly enjoy running motivate themselves to get out the door. Serious question here. I have told myself the last few days I am looking forward to Monday when I can have time to go out and do it, now its here the prevailing feeling is, I'm not actually going to do it. Any tips?

Going to have to go out for a run, first in months, due to lack of options I enjoy more. How do folk that dont overly enjoy running motivate themselves to get out the door. Serious question here. I have told myself the last few days I am looking forward to Monday when I can have time to go out and do it, now its here the prevailing feeling is, I'm not actually going to do it. Any tips?
Go and do it you fucking shitebag.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think if you're looking for some magic moment of motivation, it's probably not going to come.

I'd say the first couple of weeks you're just going to have to suck it up and get through it. Once it becomes a bit more routine you might find that you enjoy it. Especially when you start to see some improvements.

If it's any help, 2 years ago I considered myself as someone who really didn't like running. I started doing it once a week to mix up my exercise for losing weight. Once I got better at it I realised I loved that hour or so to myself with a podcast and feeling great afterwards. I'm now running 5/6 times a week.

Might just be that you need to get over the hump.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And this.

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Probably more this 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think if you're looking for some magic moment of motivation, it's probably not going to come.

I'd say the first couple of weeks you're just going to have to suck it up and get through it. Once it becomes a bit more routine you might find that you enjoy it. Especially when you start to see some improvements.

If it's any help, 2 years ago I considered myself as someone who really didn't like running. I started doing it once a week to mix up my exercise for losing weight. Once I got better at it I realised I loved that hour or so to myself with a podcast and feeling great afterwards. I'm now running 5/6 times a week.

Might just be that you need to get over the hump.

Than this. Albeit Stella is a w**k and you arent, his advice suits my needs better, as I have done enough running to know I'm never going to be lucky like you and grow to like it. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Probably more this 

Than this. Albeit Stella is a w**k and you arent, his advice suits my needs better, as I have done enough running to know I'm never going to be lucky like you and grow to like it. 

It’s really the same advice, mine was just more diplomatic. 

The mornings where you go out and it's been a real battle to get out of bed/out of the house are the best. It was a bit like that for me today but it was great once I was out. Not even bothering about a time, just getting the miles in today.

Something I like to do is to lay out all my running gear ready before going to bed the night before and tell myself I'm getting up and getting that sh*t done in the morning, no matter what. It's a battle against the fog in your head more than anything. 

Been out 3 times in the last 10 days, after the best part of a month off and a heavy cold to deal with. Been a massive struggle each time but managed 10k on each occasion, all around the 58 minute mark. Found it fairly hellish and was knackered each time, partly due to the weather but mostly I think due to the cold I had. Hopefully start getting the time again down soon and adding a bit more distance again.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Weigh yourself.

Weigh yourself.
It's ok I gave myself a shake and went. The ice was horrendous though. Really should have turned back as soon as I walked out but was concerned the neighbours would see this embarrassing retreat so just cracked on. Might have actually worked for a first one back since it limited my pace and allowed me to plod on

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, mathematics said:
Weigh yourself.

It's ok I gave myself a shake and went. The ice was horrendous though. Really should have turned back as soon as I walked out but was concerned the neighbours would see this embarrassing retreat so just cracked on. Might have actually worked for a first one back since it limited my pace and allowed me to plod on

Had no idea it was icy over there, you could be forgiven if it was horrendous. 

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Had no idea it was icy over there, you could be forgiven if it was horrendous. 

It's a but wet so when I looked out I thought all the ice was away. And as mentioned, once I was out i was committed. Roads were quiet though so tried to stay on them as they were better than pavement

Black ice is a right git. You'd think gritting the roads and pathways would help prevent people from injuring themselves, potentially risking them going into hospitals, potentially further risking contracting the coronavirus.

I'd be amazed if someone hasn't broken a bone running along the Easter Road to Leith links pathway.

I'm the same here. Nearly fell on my arse three times just taking stuff to the bin. No way I'm going running today which is a pity as I'm back to work tomorrow.
Changed my mind and went to the running track in a local park. Red blaes surface so a bit crusty but only small patches of ice that were easily avoidable. Good to get out after a sloth-like existence over the last week and I managed 5k which was more than I intended.
I wouldn't normally bother with the running track as I find it really tedious but it seems to have its advantages. There was another guy there before I arrived who was a steady distance in front and must have acted as a subconscious pacemaker for me as I ran a bit faster than expected.

As part of my new hippy lifestyle I never take devices out when running/walking dog etc now. Did my calf muscle at boxing training a few weeks back but have managed out for a run maybe 2 days out of 3 over the hols. Really noticed a change for the worse in overall body shape since lockdown came along last year.