P&b Running Club

Done 12 days of 10km a day now. Fitness wise, not a problem. I am now nursing three separate injuries, however - all in my right leg. Slight twinge in my quad, an old ligament injury in my ankle which is flaring up and, perhaps most concerning, a real pain developing down the front of my shin. I become less aware of these once I get moving but still not ideal. I’ve not walked any yet, but feel as though a walk may be as good as a day’s rest which may benefit me going into the third week. 20 runs to go.

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Done 12 days of 10km a day now. Fitness wise, not a problem. I am now nursing three separate injuries, however - all in my right leg. Slight twinge in my quad, an old ligament injury in my ankle which is flaring up and, perhaps most concerning, a real pain developing down the front of my shin. I become less aware of these once I get moving but still not ideal. I’ve not walked any yet, but feel as though a walk may be as good as a day’s rest which may benefit me going into the third week. 20 runs to go.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like fitness wise, your leg just isn't ready for the mileage?

Are you doing a proper warm up with dynamic stretches and warm down after with stretch holds? A half decent attempt at a self massage of those areas will also help, as well as soaking in a bath with muscle relaxant. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like fitness wise, your leg just isn't ready for the mileage?

Are you doing a proper warm up with dynamic stretches and warm down after with stretch holds? A half decent attempt at a self massage of those areas will also help, as well as soaking in a bath with muscle relaxant. 

That could well be the case. I haven’t run anything like this frequently before, but I have worked up to a decent distance in the weeks leading up to this. I always warm up and down as you say, and have a foam roller which I’ve been using. I’ll give the bath a shot, too. Cheers. 

On 27/10/2020 at 17:19, Hank Scorpio said:

Anyone else love running in the rain? I don’t mean the proper heavy stuff, but see just a light mist? Prime running weather imo. 

I love a downpour, or blistering sunshine. Don't like anything in between.

I genuinely think I run better when the air isn't really dry. I was out earlier and was gasping with it being a wee bit cold.

Seventeenth consecutive 10k under my belt this morning. Those little niggles from earlier in the week have mostly gone, oddly enough. Just the ankle injury which, I don’t imagine, will be going anywhere soon; but I can handle that. Great feeling to get over half way and means I can really focus my energy on running down the days to the end.

Some going that Hank Scorpio.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

After being unable to run for 8 months due to plantar fasciitis finally managed a run today that didn't leave my foot in a load of pain, it was only a two and a half miler but that was a huge step forward to getting back into the running regime which I've really missed .It's gonna take a while to get back to running longer distances but just happy to be out running again was beginning to think it was never gonna happen.

After being unable to run for 8 months due to plantar fasciitis finally managed a run today that didn't leave my foot in a load of pain, it was only a two and a half miler but that was a huge step forward to getting back into the running regime which I've really missed .It's gonna take a while to get back to running longer distances but just happy to be out running again was beginning to think it was never gonna happen.

Buy orthopaedic insoles for your trainers. I suffered with this for ages and then ended up with all sorts of niggles and strains for months because my gait had changed. There’s a set in Arco they’re about £40 but worth every penny.

19 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

Buy orthopaedic insoles for your trainers. I suffered with this for ages and then ended up with all sorts of niggles and strains for months because my gait had changed. There’s a set in Arco they’re about £40 but worth every penny.

Actually bought a pair of plantar fasciitis friendly running shoes but have orthopaedic insoles in the rest of my footwear now. I can well understand how your running gait changed trying to compensate for the condition and then causing you more problems. Total pain...literally.

My pace and stamina has dropped considerably. From 22/47 for 5k/10k respectively at the start of the year to 27/55. Lyme disease and eight months of no motivation has gubbed me. Two stone heavier than I was at the start of the year.

My wife has just been diagnosed with this - she can barely walk for a day or two after an hours walk. She bought some Asics cushion trainers but just wondering what else you did to get rid of it. Cheers

5 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:
On 08/11/2020 at 16:52, keptie said:

My wife has just been diagnosed with this - she can barely walk for a day or two after an hours walk. She bought some Asics cushion trainers but just wondering what else you did to get rid of it. Cheers

I was doing a lot of calf stretching, rolling the bottom of the foot on a bottle of ice or a spiky ball and probably the most effective massaging the plantar fascia by pulling your toes back so the bottom of you foot is tight and you can feel the fascia band. Tried other things as well but just google "stretches for plantar fasciitis" and see what helps the most but there is no easy quick fix. I haven't got rid of it btw i can still feel it but manageable now. Hope your wife recovers as quickly as possible.

Edited by keptie