P&b Running Club

I've recently decided I'm chucking the cigarettes and getting fit again, been out a few (very) short runs to get back into it and whilst I've been struggling with it, I'm keen to keep it going. One thing though - after any run I've been, I get this ridiculous pain in my left ear, like a really bad throbbing pain on the inside, any ideas what it is and how it can be relieved? 

I've tried Dr Google but as usual the diagnosis ranges from "some earwax build up" to "you have brain cancer". I'd try my own doctor too but this seems a bit trivial considering everything that's going on right now.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I've recently decided I'm chucking the cigarettes and getting fit again, been out a few (very) short runs to get back into it and whilst I've been struggling with it, I'm keen to keep it going. One thing though - after any run I've been, I get this ridiculous pain in my left ear, like a really bad throbbing pain on the inside, any ideas what it is and how it can be relieved? 

Could be shitty breathing causing pressure equilibrium issues. As your lungs heal and you start breathing better, it might not bother you as much.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Also, are you wearing earphones?

Do folk prefer running in the morning or at night? Tonight was my first evening run since the clocks change and I definitely prefer the morning, even though I get up at 5 to do it before work. Much nicer feeling starting in the dark and it's lighter (even if not very much) by the time you finish rather than starting when the light is fading and it getting darker.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do folk prefer running in the morning or at night? Tonight was my first evening run since the clocks change and I definitely prefer the morning, even though I get up at 5 to do it before work. Much nicer feeling starting in the dark and it's lighter (even if not very much) by the time you finish rather than starting when the light is fading and it getting darker.

Definitely prefer running in the light though when the nights get long an evening running around sunset is nice, Though not one for going super early so at moment late morning/early afternoon for me till I get work. 

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Super early please.

Done my first run in the dark since February and almost decked it on a coke can some littering scumbag had dropped. I thought my ankle was going to balloon at first but it seems ok.

I definitely need to adjust to concentrating more on the ground rather than just relying on peripheral vision.

This is why I'll never run in the dark! And since I need at least an hour to get going in the morning (i.e. have some food and a cup of tea and do a shite), I doubt I'll be joining the early morning running crew. 

Which is one good thing about Covid / permanently WFH. I stuck a fictitious meeting in my calendar this afternoon, then went for a wee run - and noone was any the wiser (and probably wouldn't care anyway). 

5 days of 10km a day done, only 27 more to go. My legs have held up really well, I have no muscular issues but do have an old ankle ligament injury causing me a wee bit of bother, but nothing that I’m not able to run through. Strongly suspect that going into the second week things will become a lot harder.

Done my first run in the dark since February and almost decked it on a coke can some littering scumbag had dropped. I thought my ankle was going to balloon at first but it seems ok.
I definitely need to adjust to concentrating more on the ground rather than just relying on peripheral vision.
I went over on my ankle last November on a bit of uneven ground (most of the run was fairly well lit apart from this short stretch). I could have ran again from December but didn't really start again until lockdown as I'd lost confidence in running in the dark. I've been running 2 or 3 times a week since but it's now dark when I leave work so I'm either going to have to pick well lit runs, get a head torch or go to the gym if I want to run during the week.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Other than dragging myself out of bed 100% the morning.

Feel great after an early morning run and/or catching the occasional sunrise. Sets the day up brilliantly.

14 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Anyone else love running in the rain? I don’t mean the proper heavy stuff, but see just a light mist? Prime running weather imo. 

Don't mind a bit of it, but as a glasses-wearer, anything more than a light mist and I'm struggling to see. 

Soggy leaves are my latest bug-bear and reason not to go out running. I've got an excuse for every occasion. 

Aye the wet leaves are a nightmare.

Guess I'm lucky when it comes to running in the dark that there are some good, well lit cycle paths in Dumfries. Between that and running on the pavements it's usually not too bad to be able to see. There's a stretch of a couple of miles I use that's not lit so I wear my head torch when I'm planning to run that way and scare the shit out the rabbits.

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Anyone else love running in the rain? I don’t mean the proper heavy stuff, but see just a light mist? Prime running weather imo. 

Best weather to run in IMO. Nothing quite like it. I especially enjoy it combined with an early morning. 

On 26/10/2020 at 21:31, Stu said:

Definitely much prefer running in the evening or at night, and always have. The difference in pace for me is noticeable also. Bought a headlamp a few weeks ago which makes a huge differences on some parts of the routes I take, and been going out in the evenings, usually once midweek and then Saturday. Get plenty of strange looks however, out running in the pitch black at 9:30pm on a Saturday evening.

Guest bernardblack
Can anyone recommend a good breathable waterproof jacket for running? All the ones I’ve tried either can’t handle Glasgow rain or make me sweat so much I shouldn’t have bothered

I’m all ears for any recommendations here too.

My one now is like a sauna suit