P&b Running Club

• 3 weeks later...

Not been getting out as much as I would like, last 3 weeks I have managed 1 run a week. All the same I am increasing the distance each time. Managed 14.5k in 1 hour 22 tonight. A little over the pace I was aiming for(5:30 per km) but with the general lack of running I am happy enough with my progress.

Anyone got recommendations for road running trainers. Mostly run on footpaths and recently been doing back and forth on Tay road bridge of which the material is 'textured glass reinforced plastic flooring board ' so think I need to invest a bit more than the usual 30 quid or I would spend on amazon as got a pair last week that were showing to be fairly worn after 1 run so sending them back. In between jobs so can't go too crazy on what I spend but given the benefit running is giving me at the moment and the cost of replacing poorer quality trainers I do need to up my game. 

8 hours ago, grazza said:

Anyone got recommendations for road running trainers. Mostly run on footpaths and recently been doing back and forth on Tay road bridge of which the material is 'textured glass reinforced plastic flooring board ' so think I need to invest a bit more than the usual 30 quid or I would spend on amazon as got a pair last week that were showing to be fairly worn after 1 run so sending them back. In between jobs so can't go too crazy on what I spend but given the benefit running is giving me at the moment and the cost of replacing poorer quality trainers I do need to up my game. 

If you're planning on doing a lot of running/willing to spend a bit more then I'd recommend going to a running shop and getting a proper gait analysis done where they watch you on the treadmill and find trainers best suited to you.

Made a huge difference to me when I started marathon training. The trainers were about £120 but if you're doing a serious amount of running I'd suggest it's worth it.

If you're planning on doing a lot of running/willing to spend a bit more then I'd recommend going to a running shop and getting a proper gait analysis done where they watch you on the treadmill and find trainers best suited to you.
Made a huge difference to me when I started marathon training. The trainers were about £120 but if you're doing a serious amount of running I'd suggest it's worth it.
There are some shops that won't use a treadmill and will use an area of the shop or even outside instead. That feels much better to me as I'm pretty sure that running on a treadmill is different - the only ones I've had recommended from a treadmill were ok but I never felt totally comfortable in them.

If budget is a bit tighter than the full price, can really recommend a trip to the outlet shops, particular at Livingston as they have Adidas, Nike, Under Armour and New Balance right next to each other giving the chance to try them on to see what's comfortable. Also much cheaper as they're the previous model (the technology doesn't move in that much!) That's where I've picked up all of mine that I'm using just now (and I have from all those shops - particularly on my 4th pair of Nike Pegasus)

12 minutes ago, true_rover said:

There are some shops that won't use a treadmill and will use an area of the shop or even outside instead. That feels much better to me as I'm pretty sure that running on a treadmill is different - the only ones I've had recommended from a treadmill were ok but I never felt totally comfortable in them.

If budget is a bit tighter than the full price, can really recommend a trip to the outlet shops, particular at Livingston as they have Adidas, Nike, Under Armour and New Balance right next to each other giving the chance to try them on to see what's comfortable. Also much cheaper as they're the previous model (the technology doesn't move in that much!) That's where I've picked up all of mine that I'm using just now (and I have from all those shops - particularly on my 4th pair of Nike Pegasus)

That's interesting. Probably makes sense.

My experience on the treadmill was really good though so hadn't even thought of it. Probably because prior to that I was wearing some £30 off the shelf Nike trainers that were causing me a fair bit of pain.

I’m just about to embark on 10k a day for 32 days in aid of MND Scotland. Anyone who’s run anything similar able to guide me in what to expect, and what, if any, supplements will help me with quick recovery and mitigate painful muscles/joints?

ive been running pretty consistently for about 5 months now and I’m definitely fit enough to do this, but I haven’t run that sort of distance as consistently before. 

I’m just about to embark on 10k a day for 32 days in aid of MND Scotland. Anyone who’s run anything similar able to guide me in what to expect, and what, if any, supplements will help me with quick recovery and mitigate painful muscles/joints?
ive been running pretty consistently for about 5 months now and I’m definitely fit enough to do this, but I haven’t run that sort of distance as consistently before. 

The only suggestion I have is to try and have more than 1 pair of trainers available for it and swap between them each day - it'll hopefully help with the pain.

And, as for supplements, in my opinion there's nothing better than a chocolate milkshake for recovery!

3 hours ago, true_rover said:

The only suggestion I have is to try and have more than 1 pair of trainers available for it and swap between them each day - it'll hopefully help with the pain.

And, as for supplements, in my opinion there's nothing better than a chocolate milkshake for recovery!

A sports nutritionist came to my running club a few years back and that was pretty much the only thing I took from her talk 🤣

Thanks for advice went in for appointment at Run4it and they done checks on how I ran and tried couple options. Got a pair of Mizuno wave rider 32. Went on for first run this afternoon and felt so much better and ended up doing 4 trips and back over the bridge instead of usual 2 so ended up doing 13 miles then 2 mile walk to cool down and that's nearly 3 miles more than I usual do but knees feel lot better than usual after run. 

Subject that has probably come up here before, and I am too lazy to go back and search - Eating/Drinking while running...

Other than when it is ridiculously hot, I never take food or water with me on a run. I can manage 10k quite easily without food or water, and when I was out on Saturday evening managed 14.5k without needing to take anything in either. At what stage do most folk start needing a drink or something to eat to keep going? I'm determined when I get this HM done next year I will absolutely fucking nail it this time after the debacle that was my last effort at that distance, so want to start factoring all this shite in early.

It's different for everyone, but you want to take on some water and a little energy boost BEFORE you realize you need them, otherwise you're in trouble. 

I can go knock out a 10k easily on just a glass of water before, but if I was to partake in an official race and they offered water at 5k, I'd grab it even for a sip. 

Best thing to do is practice and find out. A few months before you should attempt to get close to HM distance no matter how slow you go. Take a small bag of haribo in a pouch, take or hide some water on part of your route if  you can, just figure out what's best. 

It'll all be for nothing if you don't get the miles in beforehand though. 

23 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Subject that has probably come up here before, and I am too lazy to go back and search - Eating/Drinking while running...

Other than when it is ridiculously hot, I never take food or water with me on a run. I can manage 10k quite easily without food or water, and when I was out on Saturday evening managed 14.5k without needing to take anything in either. At what stage do most folk start needing a drink or something to eat to keep going? I'm determined when I get this HM done next year I will absolutely fucking nail it this time after the debacle that was my last effort at that distance, so want to start factoring all this shite in early.

Test it out, it is different for everyone.

DO NOT test out food etc for the first time when the HM comes around. The first time I tried running gels on a practice run I spent most of the rest of the day on the toilet.

As Stellaboz says, if you're knackered and think you need food, you're too late. Make a plan before you run of when you're going to take them. When I was marathon training it was probably one sachet every hour.

12 hours ago, grazza said:

Thanks for advice went in for appointment at Run4it and they done checks on how I ran and tried couple options. Got a pair of Mizuno wave rider 32. Went on for first run this afternoon and felt so much better and ended up doing 4 trips and back over the bridge instead of usual 2 so ended up doing 13 miles then 2 mile walk to cool down and that's nearly 3 miles more than I usual do but knees feel lot better than usual after run. 

You must be a masochist to do 4 times over and back on the Tay bridge! Fair play on that one. 

27 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It's different for everyone, but you want to take on some water and a little energy boost BEFORE you realize you need them, otherwise you're in trouble. 

I can go knock out a 10k easily on just a glass of water before, but if I was to partake in an official race and they offered water at 5k, I'd grab it even for a sip. 

Best thing to do is practice and find out. A few months before you should attempt to get close to HM distance no matter how slow you go. Take a small bag of haribo in a pouch, take or hide some water on part of your route if  you can, just figure out what's best. 

At the moment I reckon if I pushed myself I could manage 17/18k ok, albeit at a much reduced pace. Based on the 14.5 I done on Saturday there wasn't at all a point where I felt low on energy or needing a drink. In the past if I was planning on going over 10 I would take something and try to force it down around the 7/8km mark even if I wasn't feeling the need. Should probably just get back to that approach but keep some in reserve for later too.

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Test it out, it is different for everyone.

DO NOT test out food etc for the first time when the HM comes around. The first time I tried running gels on a practice run I spent most of the rest of the day on the toilet.

As Stellaboz says, if you're knackered and think you need food, you're too late. Make a plan before you run of when you're going to take them. When I was marathon training it was probably one sachet every hour.

Only ever tried energy gel once, when doing the 3 peaks challenge a very long time ago. Was struggling up Snowden on the final leg and a colleague offered me one to get me over the line. Potent stuff, whatever it was, but I'd prefer not to end up using them too often.

Making sure I am well prepared this time. Only previous HM I done I put the miles in beforehand, only to have an absolute disaster on the day. I want to make sure I don't do the same again, though if the weather decides to do what it done then I'll just need to accept that the gods of running don't want me doing it sub 2 hours.

Guest bernardblack

Agreed here.

Get in a wee routine in the weeks prior of what you eat the day(s) before your run so your body gets used to it and you’ll be able to change where required.