P&b Running Club

Well, did 13 miles today. Went okay except my inner thighs are now bleeding from the chafing. It's not a pretty sight down there. 
I've been doing fairly regular 5k's but have been increasing my distances and ran 10 and 11k the last couple of weekends. Quite enjoy the longer runs but I'm also struggling with chafing afterwards. Any tips? It's mainly groin chafing- can you get shorts that help?

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 28/08/2020 at 19:00, Cardinal Richelieu said:
Well, did 13 miles today. Went okay except my inner thighs are now bleeding from the chafing. It's not a pretty sight down there. 

I've been doing fairly regular 5k's but have been increasing my distances and ran 10 and 11k the last couple of weekends. Quite enjoy the longer runs but I'm also struggling with chafing afterwards. Any tips? It's mainly groin chafing- can you get shorts that help?

Aye - I usually wear cycling shorts and it alleviates the problem. You only really need to do it for distances of 10k plus. Obviously the warmer it is, the more you sweat, thus exacerbating the problem. 

The alternative is using stuff like Glide, but I think shorts are the better solution. 

Nips, on the other hand, are an entirely different problem. 

9 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 28/08/2020 at 20:00, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cycling shorts can help, just don't wear padded ones for running...

Vaseline does the job as well.

Aye, Vaseline on the nipples does the job. I've never really had any other problems with chaffing, even when I did my marathon. The exception to that is the tie-string on my shorts rubbing, but keeping my T-shirt tucked in can help with that.

Monday was the first night at running club since lockdown. Although I did my usual distance (I ran there and back), think I benefited from the slower pace as today was my fastest Wednesday morning run for weeks. The need to get in to avoid the start of the rain probably helped!

For the nips my missus bought me a couple of ...I don't even know what to call them. Underlayers? A skintight top to go under your running top, in my case normally a football top. Absolutely never had a problem with them after whilst it's on and it's great for winter. 

For the nips my missus bought me a couple of ...I don't even know what to call them. Underlayers? A skintight top to go under your running top, in my case normally a football top. Absolutely never had a problem with them after whilst it's on and it's great for winter. 

Definitely do the trick for me too - especially useful now that the weight loss has kicked in and my other running clobber is a lot baggier.

Decided that since I have signed up for that HM I might as well start structuring my running a bit more. Plan is 5k, 10k, 12k+ and repeat. Started with the 5k today. Not done a fast run for a wee bit, managed 25:02 including a 15 second traffic light stop which I left the watch running for. Happy enough with that.

Still struggling for time.  Managed to get our last night for a 5k, which my watch timed at almost exactly 25 minutes again.

Working from home tomorrow so will hopefully get out at lunchtime for something a bit longer.

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoon I went out and finally managed to do a 10K - in total I managed 10.37km in 55 mins exactly and I'm absolutely chuffed with it. For the guys who gave me advice on taking it easy, cheers - I wouldn't have been able to manage it with my 5K pace. I just need to find a better route now with less loops but I'm pleased with what I've done. Might try to do it at least once or twice a week with 5Ks the rest of the time. 

On 02/09/2020 at 16:11, Archie McSquackle said:

Thanks. Might be my fat thighs but I'll give the cycling shorts a go. Haven't had a problem with the nips yet!

On 02/09/2020 at 14:26, Stu said:

Aye, Vaseline on the nipples does the job. I've never really had any other problems with chaffing, even when I did my marathon. The exception to that is the tie-string on my shorts rubbing, but keeping my T-shirt tucked in can help with that.

Monday was the first night at running club since lockdown. Although I did my usual distance (I ran there and back), think I benefited from the slower pace as today was my fastest Wednesday morning run for weeks. The need to get in to avoid the start of the rain probably helped!

I'm with Stu, vaseline will pretty much sort your chaffing issues, wherever it is.

A bit of added weight makes it worse, I used to have to vaseline my inner thighs, nipples, arm pits and even my arse cheeks (Yes lads, I had to vaseline my arse) but now nipples and as Stu mentioned around the waistline can rub too.

When I did the marathon you could see who hadn't vaselined the nipples beforehand at the end. Absolutely savage.

On 08/09/2020 at 10:00, Stellaboz said:

Managed to PB a 10k at the weekend and a 2k this morning. Just over 50 and 8 minutes each, absolutely fucking determined to get under 50 and 8 for those now. 

That seems a bit weird. Obviously everyone is different, but I'd say the 10k in under 50 minutes would be a lot easier to achieve than 2k in under 8 minutes. My PB for 10k is about 45 minutes, yet I can barely run 0.5km in under 2 minutes, so I'd have no chance of doing 2km in under 8 minutes. 

Or to look at it another way, if you could achieve 2k in 8 minutes, you should be doing 10k in around 44 minutes (obviously, it's a generalisation!)

https://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-racetimes.php?race_distance=2&race_unit=km&race_hours=&race_minutes=8&race_seconds=

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Aye maybe, but that's how it is for me. Im about to hit my first 5k for almost two weeks, been on holiday, so will see how it feels and maybe I give the 50 minute barrier a go at the weekend. Need some miles before a half marathon on the 16th emoji51.png

What's the half marathon target?