P&b Running Club

Did another virtual race this morning - this time on pretty much the actual race route. About a minute slower than when I last did the race itself three years ago, which I put down to it being 6am, wet and windy (and my rain jacket was soaked by the end)  and I had to stop to pick up my phone after a couple of hundred metres. Still, my Wednesday morning run covers most of the race route anyway so seemed the sensible time to do it, despite the weather.

If anyone's interested, it's a 10k and it only costs a fiver to take part - plus you get a decent looking medal. I know there's plenty of these sort of virtual races in normal times with businesses offering fancy medals but by doing this one you'd be supporting a local running club - and they're the "rivals" to the one I'm a member of so no favouritism here!

Info at https://www.facebook.com/events/1397505533767448/?active_tab=discussion

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Did another virtual race this morning - this time on pretty much the actual race route. About a minute slower than when I last did the race itself three years ago, which I put down to it being 6am, wet and windy (and my rain jacket was soaked by the end)  and I had to stop to pick up my phone after a couple of hundred metres. Still, my Wednesday morning run covers most of the race route anyway so seemed the sensible time to do it, despite the weather.

If anyone's interested, it's a 10k and it only costs a fiver to take part - plus you get a decent looking medal. I know there's plenty of these sort of virtual races in normal times with businesses offering fancy medals but by doing this one you'd be supporting a local running club - and they're the "rivals" to the one I'm a member of so no favouritism here!

Info at https://www.facebook.com/events/1397505533767448/?active_tab=discussion

A guy I work with was talking to me about this yesterday. I think he's probably with the running club himself.

I hate running with other people - so this might be something to consider.

Edited by Mallo_Madrid

After yesterday's weather and GPS-botched plans, I wanted to attempt getting under 23:00 for 5k again today morning. Had a big of haribo munch yesterday though, some chocolate and even had a beer last night. Seemed to do the trick. 

image.png.6e5893fc9f716cb5fba13012533224e6.png

It's going to take a huge effort to break this PB at some point for me. 

Guest bernardblack
50 minutes to an hour's peace by yourself is the best part of running a 10k. Just stick a podcast or some music in and let your mind wander.

Podcast every time for me.

Running to music has me changing pace to match the music accidentally

My 100 miles in a month challenge is in serious jeopardy. 4 days to go, and I've got 27 miles left to do, with a hangover planned for Sunday and a hill-climb on Monday. Going to have to try and do a half marathon today and tomorrow. Now I know how Eddie Izzard felt. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

My 100 miles in a month challenge is in serious jeopardy. 4 days to go, and I've got 27 miles left to do, with a hangover planned for Sunday and a hill-climb on Monday. Going to have to try and do a half marathon today and tomorrow. Now I know how Eddie Izzard felt. :lol:

You're going to run in drag?

On 26/08/2020 at 13:18, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

50 minutes to an hour's peace by yourself is the best part of running a 10k. Just stick a podcast or some music in and let your mind wander.

Yup, podcasts are all I listen to while running. I subscribe to loads but there's certain ones - like Graham Hunter's Big Interview - I keep specifically for listening to while running as it's something to look forward to, although they pile up a bit if you get injured.

Out this morning and done 12k in 1:10ish. Really wasn’t feeling it from early on but had to take advantage of actually having the time. From 7k onwards it was an absolute fucking slog and a half. All the same, a few more miles in the legs after a week off.

Actually enjoyed my run this morning. I usually find myself enjoying it when I'm getting near the end (not necessarily because it's nearly finished!) but today I was enjoying it half way through, which doesn't always happen. Might be because it was a lovely morning after the shite wind and rain of the last few runs.

It's been a while since I've posted in this part of the forum. Quick background - I was fat, 4 years ago I lost 5 stone and now I'm pretty lean. Mostly through diet and weightlifting, but I've done some cardio too. I've never been that into running, but over the last few years I'd dabbled in the occassional parkrun - normally around the 25 minute mark for 5k. I've owned a treadmill for years though. So when the lockdown hit, it became my weekday morning routine to go and run on the treadmill first thing to get me going (I was on furlough so needed something to do). I started off doing a 5k in around 25-28 minutes. This time quickly dropped, so I started increasing the distance. After less than a month I was doing a 10k every weekday morning. I've continued doing this despite being back at work now (although working from home). I've got my time down to 39m 16s for 10k - which still blows my mind saying it.

However on Thursday night, when innocuously just getting up from the couch, my foot gave a crunch and a pretty sharp pain on the top. It dulled to an ache fairly quick though. The next morning, I managed to run 5.5k before I started getting a sharp pain again and it lingered all day. I took the weekend off and it felt fine yesterday morning. Again around the 5k mark yesterday I felt a slight twinge again so immediately stopped. This morning, I felt it straight away - so no run at all. I think I'm going to have to take the full week to give it a chance. A couple of guys I've spoken to suggest it's probably a case of needing to relace my shoes (which I did over the weekend) but I guess I should have let my foot recover for longer before getting back to it.

It's infuriating, but I guess these things happen. Presumably the advice I've had on relacing is in line with what folk on here would suggest though? As I said, I think it's the tendon on the upper inside of the foot that's been aggrevated but the foot's fine load-bearing and most of the rest of the time. It's just when I run that it seems to bother me, or when I walk somewhere with the dog/go golfing and have to stand or walk sideways on a steep bank.

Guest bernardblack
10k on a treadmill is never to be sneezed at, especially at that time!

Agreed. The time is phenomenal.

I can barely run 5k on a treadmill before my legs start to ache!

First run in over 3 months today after a really bad ankle sprain, have put on 10lbs in that period as well so to say I wasn't looking forward to it was an understatement!

As expected legs went almost instantly, felt like I was running with one of the kids on my back (not the 7 week old one!), managed 5.5km in 40 mins with a few walking breaks.

Good thing tho is my ankle didn't explode and not really any aches or pains in it unless I really rotate it. Feels like I'm at the start of a really long way back to get to where I was before tho.

Fucked my 100 miles in a month. 93 miles (and that included scaling Ben Vorlich that definitely doesn't count cos at no point did I even run). 

As I said, we climbed up Ben Vorlich at a decent lick and at sparrow's fart in 2 hours ... not a bad effort. Except some utter w****r (who was sound as f**k) who sprinted up the mountain behind us and announced (only after we asked him) - how long it had taken him. 46 minutes. 

What a tosser.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu