P&b Running Club

My knee started hurting in May so I stopped running. Tried a gentle run today but had to stop at 1km as it was starting to feel sore. 

It is an ACL strain and it is amazing how much the muscle has wasted on the inside of my quad. Apparently doing heel drops to build up the muscle and knee stability are the thing but it is massively frustrating.

I've challenged myself to do 100 miles in a day. On the face of it, it's not that bad - just need to do a little over 5k every day. The only problem is that if you miss a couple of days due to hangovers / shite weather, then you're staring at a 10 mile run just to catch up. 

5 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've challenged myself to do 100 miles in a day. On the face of it, it's not that bad - just need to do a little over 5k every day. The only problem is that if you miss a couple of days due to hangovers / shite weather, then you're staring at a 10 mile run just to catch up. 

You won't be doing much modding that day. 

3 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Hmm. All of a sudden 100 miles in a month doesn't seem like much of an achievement :)

You can work up to that. 

Good luck with it. Not really done much fitness stuff lately as working such long hours then doing DIY etc in the rest of the waking hours. 

Very impressed with the dedication/times of folk on here. 

Running club had another virtual race, with folk preferably using the same route as the event. Ran the couple of miles to the start point this morning, set off at full pelt and got half a mile before there was a sodding farmer's gate blocking the road. Was not amused - although at least it was half a mile from the start rather than the end and I could do it somewhere else. 

On 14/08/2020 at 09:33, Mallo_Madrid said:

I've been at the running game since I've decided I'm too old to kick a football around a field anymore.

Started in march, after trying to pan my c*nt in doing fast 5ks I decided I hated that and went out really slowly and did a 13k, which I found far more comfortable and enjoyable than shorter quicker stuff. I did a couple of 16ks after that but I was definitely going too far too quickly in trainers I have owned for three years and I ended up with tendonitis on the top of my foot. 

Bought some decent trainers I started to gradually build up the distances and eventually ran my first half marathon in July, took me 2h12m but I was absolutely buzzing to have ticked that box. No inclination to run any further than that and have shortened the distances again.

I'm back to work full time now so I'm doing 10ks before work Mon Wed & Fri. Its a distance I'm comfortable with now. Quickest one is 51m 11s so under 50 minutes is the next target.

Sunday morning I managed to get my 10k time down to 49m 54s. Had to put the foot down at the end. 

Week off work started with a run. 11km in 1:05, which is the pace I was looking for. Going to try 13km on Wednesday or Thursday, then 16/17km on Friday or Saturday, with just under 6 minutes per km my target.

After two days of munching too many sweet goods, I went out this morning to give a 23:00 5k another bash. The GPS just wouldn't start though so just went for a jog along one of my normal routes until it kicked in, then decided to push myself for a fast 2k in the middle of it. Managed to get that done in 8 minutes 30 which for me is lightening quick.

Pro tip: if you want to run faster, eat shit so when you wake up for your run you're motivated to burn it! 

On 17/08/2020 at 09:57, Ross. said:

Week off work started with a run. 11km in 1:05, which is the pace I was looking for. Going to try 13km on Wednesday or Thursday, then 16/17km on Friday or Saturday, with just under 6 minutes per km my target.

Didn’t quite do it as planned. Not long in after a 13k effort which I managed at fairly consistent 5:55 per km. Took a break during the week and went out for a 40km cycle instead, which probably helped. Definitely got at another few km in my legs, just need to work out an extension to the route which won’t take me too far out the way in the event that I am over estimating myself...

Solid 13.1 miles yesterday. The wind was brutal and seemed to be against me the whole way, somehow
There is no seemed. You are simply a subscriber to my theory that for any wind strength or direction, there is about 60° worth of direction of travel where you wont have a headwind. The rest of the time, it will be torturing you.

There is no seemed. You are simply a subscriber to my theory that for any wind strength or direction, there is about 60° worth of direction of travel where you wont have a headwind. The rest of the time, it will be torturing you.

Agreed. The only time I can’t feel the wind is if it is behind me

I can never understand the times that I've ran 5km down the canal into a headwind, turned to run the next 5km directly back the way I've come..... Into a headwind!

Still plugging away at the 5Ks, finally managed to beat my August target of 24 minutes yesterday. Didn't have the same luck on the same route today but I'll give it another crack soon. Might cycle instead of going running if the weather's decent - some days if I do a bit on the bike I do a quick 3km and see how fast I can manage it just to tire myself out properly.

I had an injury enforced 3 week running hiatus. Meaning I'm pretty much back to the start of my half marathon training. Not ideal but got 2,3 and 4 km runs under my belt last week.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Told myself last night I'd go out this morning for another effort at 23:00 for 5k.
Its windy AF and i fucking hate the wind. Motivation subsiding!

I'm kind of the same we have had drizzle and wind for the last couple of days and it's been an effort to get out.