P&b Running Club

Garmin arrived yesterday, tried it the first time this morning. GPS didn't lock on immediately so the route on the map is missing a stretch, but the watch seemed to calculate the distance correctly anyway so all good with that. Usual route followed which has been pegged as anything from 4.6 ish to 5.3ish km on Strava, came in at 5.36km. 23:50 for the 5k which I am happy enough with for a 6am run. Will get back out again on Friday and then Saturday or Sunday and see if the watch continues to calculate my route at that distance.

Out there for a 10k. Managed in 56 minutes and a couple of seconds. A bit slower than I have been going but it was 25c when I started and still 22c out there when I got home, which is far too hot for me at the best of times never mind when I am running. Will happily take the fact I managed to get round without keeling over or drowning in my own sweat.

Guest bernardblack
What do you guys do before a run? Just start running as soon as you leave the house or stretch or walk or what? 

I always stretch before a run, otherwise I’m risking injury.

Also try and go for a Tam Kite beforehand too

3 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

What do you guys do before a run? Just start running as soon as you leave the house or stretch or walk or what? 

3 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Also try and go for a Tam Kite beforehand too

I need to make sure I have had something to eat at least 30 minutes before going out, or I struggle badly. Also the above. Absolutely always need a shite before I go for a run.

Last couple of efforts have had varied success. The Garmin measures the route at 5.36k every time which is nice when compared to Strava. Managed 27:02 on Sunday morning and 26:18 this morning. Been trying different approaches of late in terms of how I am pacing myself. Sunday I just went at it as fast as I could for as long as I could. First 2k covered in 8:20ish but was absolutley gubbed the rest of the way round. This morning I hammered the first 1k and then alternated every 500m or so between fast and slow. Worked a little better but still not fast enough overall for my liking.

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I need to make sure I have had something to eat at least 30 minutes before going out, or I struggle badly. Also the above. Absolutely always need a shite before I go for a run.

Last couple of efforts have had varied success. The Garmin measures the route at 5.36k every time which is nice when compared to Strava. Managed 27:02 on Sunday morning and 26:18 this morning. Been trying different approaches of late in terms of how I am pacing myself. Sunday I just went at it as fast as I could for as long as I could. First 2k covered in 8:20ish but was absolutley gubbed the rest of the way round. This morning I hammered the first 1k and then alternated every 500m or so between fast and slow. Worked a little better but still not fast enough overall for my liking.

I have similar issues. I've gone over the course of lockdown from getting out once a week, struggling to get through a couple of miles and not timing myself to being comfy doing a 10k and my best 5k time is about 25 mins, which I'm chuffed with all things considered. Tried a lot of different things but can't seem to break through that barrier pace-wise. Thinking I might rotate sprinting sessions into my runs, or get hill running. Might help for yourself? 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

f**k. that is a hell of a starting pace for a 26:18. Fair play to you it must have been lung opening.

On a serious note though if you can even out your pacing you should be able you easily smash a 25 or 24 min 5k. Properly even quicker.

16 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

f**k. that is a hell of a starting pace for a 26:18. Fair play to you it must have been lung opening.

On a serious note though if you can even out your pacing you should be able you easily smash a 25 or 24 min 5k. Properly even quicker.

Recent best over 5k is around the 23:30 mark and apart from Sunday my 5k times are generally 10 seconds either side of 24 minutes. I want to get back below 23 minutes on a regular basis but need to keep reminding myself that when I was doing that I was 5 years younger, 10kg lighter and had been running 3/4 times a week for most of the previous decade. Hit a run of ankle/knee/hip injuries and more or less gave up until the start of lockdown, and only took it up again because the gym shut and I didn't want to turn into a fat c**t!

Eventual aim is sub 22 but I doubt I will ever manage it, PB when I was last running regularly was a few seconds over that.

7 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

I just run. Haven't ever bothered with stretches / warmups / cooldowns.

While working from home I’ve done 5k on my lunch hour, followed by a 2k walk back up the road (I live at the top of a hill, one day I’ll run home too)

Want to crack 25 mins (not far over at all) and was almost there today. Annoyingly there was a family with a pram that came round a blind corner, couple of short stops to cross roads etc - hate pausing my running app if I can at all avoid it though.

Guest bernardblack
Iv started doing longer runs at a slower pace and I’m really enjoying it.

Same here, mainly down to the heat.

Thought I’d hate it but I’ve been loving it