P&b Running Club

49 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

If you're determined to get your best 5k time, I'm not sure Livingston is the best parkrun. From memory it's quite narrow and there are quite a few hills (though not like the killer hill in Falkirk!). Only time I did Livi I managed to run through a patch of nettles in an attempt to allow someone to overtake me. 

Yeah, I did Livi twice last year. First time was in 22:33 minutes but I felt after that I could beat 22 if I started close to the front. The next week I was able to start pretty close to the front and did it in 21:49.

I can always run faster in organised events but would like to get under 22 regularly when just out myself around the streets.

3 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Only done Livi once, last winter and it was bog! Very tight in a few places so I think you’re right. My very limited knowledge of park runs would suggest Cramond to try and get a time.

Yeah Cramond's totally flat, only slight issue is when you're running into a headwind one way.

Haven't posted in here in years I don't think, but lockdown has got me back running a couple of times a week and boy was I unfit and out of practice. Don't think I'd actually ran a full 5km in 3/4 years, but instead playing 5s meant I could short sprint all day long, but could barely get to 2km in distance. However getting back into it now and got a sub 25 minute 5km recently and find it's getting easier, aiming to get back to what I used to be able to run, which was around the 22 minute mark, but that's going to take time. Running up lothian road and the meadows probably doesn't help with my time, since the elevation gain is pretty high. 

Yeah Cramond's totally flat, only slight issue is when you're running into a headwind one way.
Haven't posted in here in years I don't think, but lockdown has got me back running a couple of times a week and boy was I unfit and out of practice. Don't think I'd actually ran a full 5km in 3/4 years, but instead playing 5s meant I could short sprint all day long, but could barely get to 2km in distance. However getting back into it now and got a sub 25 minute 5km recently and find it's getting easier, aiming to get back to what I used to be able to run, which was around the 22 minute mark, but that's going to take time. Running up lothian road and the meadows probably doesn't help with my time, since the elevation gain is pretty high. 

I’ve only done it and handful of times and have never yet “ran for a time” so I’ve probably been a mixture of lucky it’s not been too windy and/or just not noticed tbh. Aberdeen beach park run is mostly flat but always blowing a gale.
Picking up good times again already mate, well done!

Was due to do NY marathon in November and just been cancelled [emoji20]

I feel for you. I’d love to do New York and felt crap getting knocked back at the application stage. Hopefully you’ll be able to do it next year.

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There was a website that listed all Parkruns in the UK by elevation but it seems to have vanished.

Twas very out of date anyway. Flattest would be Cramond, Victoria, Strathclyde, Greenock, Troon and Drumchapel I think. 

Twas very out of date anyway. Flattest would be Cramond, Victoria, Strathclyde, Greenock, Troon and Drumchapel I think. 
I've done Victoria twice and I found it annoyingly narrow. Not enough space to overtake in parts and I was far too close to knocking other runners over.

Between travelling to very hilly places and having a shitty cold, I did my first 5k in about 3 weeks today. Absolutely terrible, just about made it in 26:30 but had to stop a couple of times.

I was doing 10k in 50m and was easily doing 18k just before that - it's mental how quickly conditioning can disappear.

8 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
9 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've done Victoria twice and I found it annoyingly narrow. Not enough space to overtake in parts and I was far too close to knocking other runners over.

Yeah there is a couple of bottlenecks. Linwood has the same problem. 

Btw Gaz ... ignore my suggestion of Drumchapel, I was trying to be funny. Think it's the 5th hilliest in the UK (before that elevation site went down). 

4 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Yeah there is a couple of bottlenecks. Linwood has the same problem. 

Btw Gaz ... ignore my suggestion of Drumchapel, I was trying to be funny. Think it's the 5th hilliest in the UK (before that elevation site went down). 

Haha, thanks!

I've only really done the Falkirk, Plean and Livingston ones but want to do a few more when this whole pish is over. Think the first one I'll try will be at Stirling Uni.

Eight miles this morning. Went out too fast and then struggled when it got warmer. Finished in 1 hour, 3 minutes so pretty happy with that. Couple of long steady hills in there as well.