P&b Running Club

My pal has roped me into helping him get ready for a half marathon I have found what looks like a reasonable plan online anyone on here gone from doing 7km to 20km. The plan says we should be half ready by the start of August is this reasonable?
Cheers

Any chance of a link to the plan?

On 14/06/2020 at 11:41, NJ2 said:

20.30, obviously no trying?! emoji15.png how long was the rest of your run after your challenge? I can’t imagine I’d ever want to move again after that never mind run.

Aye I realise that makes me sound even more of a pompous arse than normal 🤣 Was more to show the difference between running a parkrun, where you'll have folk getting in the way and probably have to go up hills, and weighing things in your favour by going somewhere nice and flat where it's quiet. Ran about 14 miles in total (including a mile to the cycle path) but the rest of it was about 90 seconds a mile slower than my 3-mile bit for the running club. Think it was the fifth or sixth fastest time overall and 10th on percentage. Of the faster guys, at least three of them are a good bit older than me, which is depressing.

Aye I realise that makes me sound even more of a pompous arse than normal [emoji1787] Was more to show the difference between running a parkrun, where you'll have folk getting in the way and probably have to go up hills, and weighing things in your favour by going somewhere nice and flat where it's quiet. Ran about 14 miles in total (including a mile to the cycle path) but the rest of it was about 90 seconds a mile slower than my 3-mile bit for the running club. Think it was the fifth or sixth fastest time overall and 10th on percentage. Of the faster guys, at least three of them are a good bit older than me, which is depressing.

Haha nah, I never read it that way anyway. 11 miles after those 3. Some sort of whippet cross breed?! Incredible effort though

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Any chance of a link to the plan?

Only got a picture I'm afraid, I'm starting from week 2. Saw one on runner's world or similar and it looked pretty much the same

Screenshot_20200615-155003.jpg

I've followed this thread for a while, and use it as a sort of motivation when I miss a few days and need that extra something to get me out.
Got nominated for one of those NHS 5Ks when lockdown begun and I managed 3k before giving up. Felt heavy embarrassed so decided to stick at it. Over the next month or so I focused on just similar length runs, 5km-7km and found myself going from 7min per km to 5min30secs. Tackling a 10km seemed miles away (literally) but over the weeks I managed it and the buzz was something else.
I've tried to divert towards cycling the last few weeks whilst still getting in some smaller runs. Today, for absolutely no reason whatsoever, I set out on a routine 5km and returned home 2hrs 10mins later having just completed a half marathon length run. Admittedly it was paced more so to how I was running when I first started but what a thrill, despite the pace. Something I couldn't ever imagine being able to manage.
I shouldn't just highlight the positives. I've stagnated at times, I've went days without bothering and I've set out on occasion only to return 5 minutes later without much reason. I battled a bit of a foot injury early doors but that seems to have cleared and stayed away with the help of proper running shoes rather than a pair of gazelles.
I don't think I'll return to that length anytime soon, but I think it'll give me a lot more determination to reduce my times on my standard 5-10km runs.
Hope to post in this thread a bit more over time.

2 minutes ago, kev23 said:

I've followed this thread for a while, and use it as a sort of motivation when I miss a few days and need that extra something to get me out.
Got nominated for one of those NHS 5Ks when lockdown begun and I managed 3k before giving up. Felt heavy embarrassed so decided to stick at it. Over the next month or so I focused on just similar length runs, 5km-7km and found myself going from 7min per km to 5min30secs. Tackling a 10km seemed miles away (literally) but over the weeks I managed it and the buzz was something else.
I've tried to divert towards cycling the last few weeks whilst still getting in some smaller runs. Today, for absolutely no reason whatsoever, I set out on a routine 5km and returned home 2hrs 10mins later having just completed a half marathon length run. Admittedly it was paced more so to how I was running when I first started but what a thrill, despite the pace. Something I couldn't ever imagine being able to manage.
I shouldn't just highlight the positives. I've stagnated at times, I've went days without bothering and I've set out on occasion only to return 5 minutes later without much reason. I battled a bit of a foot injury early doors but that seems to have cleared and stayed away with the help of proper running shoes rather than a pair of gazelles.
I don't think I'll return to that length anytime soon, but I think it'll give me a lot more determination to reduce my times on my standard 5-10km runs.
Hope to post in this thread a bit more over time.

Wow top effort, 2 hours is a great time. 

Aye I realise that makes me sound even more of a pompous arse than normal [emoji1787] Was more to show the difference between running a parkrun, where you'll have folk getting in the way and probably have to go up hills, and weighing things in your favour by going somewhere nice and flat where it's quiet. Ran about 14 miles in total (including a mile to the cycle path) but the rest of it was about 90 seconds a mile slower than my 3-mile bit for the running club. Think it was the fifth or sixth fastest time overall and 10th on percentage. Of the faster guys, at least three of them are a good bit older than me, which is depressing.
I'm the opposite, despite my best efforts to create a scenario where I can get a low time on my own, I still can't get near my parkrun numbers. Best for Parkrun was at 18.52 at Pollok once upon a time but my best solo run is 20.13. Got under 20 a few times again in Springburn, Sligo and NZ parkrun but can't manage it alone.

I need other runners to force me to speed up trying to overtake.

Struggling a bit just now since eventually managing to get under 30 mins for a 5k. Managed it one more time but haven’t been able to do it again in almost two weeks. Seem stuck at 31 mins ish for 5.1k. - 5.2k. Thought I’d went way faster this morning but Strava says no. Not sure I’m expecting too much. 53 yrs and never been a runner. Not sure how to improve.

Reckon I've done my Achilles some damage. It's been sore for a week or so but hasn't stopped me running and usually clears up the following day only to return when I go back running.

Today it got a lot worse towards the end and is showing no intention of clearing up. Anyone got useful advice apart from the usual rest? Should it be iced or should it have heat put on it - never quite sure which is the right option!

Last few runs have been a bit of a struggle. Went out last Saturday morning hoping to go under 50 minutes on my 10k route. Sun came through the clouds and the temperature went up far more than I anticipated. Ended up gubbed after 5.5k and walked home.

Managed two 5k efforts since, both just under the 24 minute mark. Not really feeling it right now but determined to keep at it.

21 hours ago, Stu said:

Reckon I've done my Achilles some damage. It's been sore for a week or so but hasn't stopped me running and usually clears up the following day only to return when I go back running.

Today it got a lot worse towards the end and is showing no intention of clearing up. Anyone got useful advice apart from the usual rest? Should it be iced or should it have heat put on it - never quite sure which is the right option!

If it's just a case of flared up tendinitis then eccentric heel drops are the way to go.  My Achilles gives me a bit of jip occasionally but is usually fine as long as I'm doing a few sets each day.  Massaging the tendon between your thumb and forefinger can help too provided it's not too painful.  Not sure I'd bother with ice unless there's swelling.

If it's just a case of flared up tendinitis then eccentric heel drops are the way to go.  My Achilles gives me a bit of jip occasionally but is usually fine as long as I'm doing a few sets each day.  Massaging the tendon between your thumb and forefinger can help too provided it's not too painful.  Not sure I'd bother with ice unless there's swelling.
Cheers, have been doing the drops and the massaging for the last day or so, hopefully it improves quickly!

On 19/06/2020 at 23:56, Ross. said:

Last few runs have been a bit of a struggle. Went out last Saturday morning hoping to go under 50 minutes on my 10k route. Sun came through the clouds and the temperature went up far more than I anticipated. Ended up gubbed after 5.5k and walked home.

Managed two 5k efforts since, both just under the 24 minute mark. Not really feeling it right now but determined to keep at it.

Went out and hammered it this morning, only for Strava to f**k up and miss out around 400m of the fucking run. I reckon it was just under 23:30 for the 5k, definitely wasn’t far off it. Felt a lot better than the few runs before it, now confident i will get back under 23 at some point soon.

So that's Edinburgh cancelled altogether. I always struggle keeping motivated unless I have something to aim for, so I've decided I'm going to use the summer to try to get my regular 5k time down below 22 minutes.

Did one earlier in 23:29 and I reckon I could get down to under 23 if I was properly pushing it. But running under 22 regularly would be great. Only ever done it once before and that was at Livingston Parkrun last year.

Guest bernardblack

Two 5k’s on the bounce this week. Rest day tomorrow and then a 7.5k thursday. It’s good to be back in a running routine

On 22/06/2020 at 18:50, Gaz said:

So that's Edinburgh cancelled altogether. I always struggle keeping motivated unless I have something to aim for, so I've decided I'm going to use the summer to try to get my regular 5k time down below 22 minutes.

Did one earlier in 23:29 and I reckon I could get down to under 23 if I was properly pushing it. But running under 22 regularly would be great. Only ever done it once before and that was at Livingston Parkrun last year.

If you're determined to get your best 5k time, I'm not sure Livingston is the best parkrun. From memory it's quite narrow and there are quite a few hills (though not like the killer hill in Falkirk!). Only time I did Livi I managed to run through a patch of nettles in an attempt to allow someone to overtake me. 

If you're determined to get your best 5k time, I'm not sure Livingston is the best parkrun. From memory it's quite narrow and there are quite a few hills (though not like the killer hill in Falkirk!). Only time I did Livi I managed to run through a patch of nettles in an attempt to allow someone to overtake me. 

Only done Livi once, last winter and it was bog! Very tight in a few places so I think you’re right. My very limited knowledge of park runs would suggest Cramond to try and get a time.

Went out this morning and decided to go flat out and try for sub 23. First 2k in around 8.40, last 3k took  just over 15 and I was absolutely crawling when I finished. Need to work on my pacing.