P&b Running Club

8 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Well done! I was running down a hill on Saturday as fast as my knackered old body could go and a couple of boys passed me like I was standing still. Even if I was 20 years younger I wouldn't have got near them. 

Aye. It can be a bit demoralising at parkruns when you're overtaken by pensioners, toddlers, people with pushchairs, hod carriers etc. 

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Aye. It can be a bit demoralising at parkruns when you're overtaken by pensioners, toddlers, people with pushchairs, hod carriers etc. 

It didn't bother me too much as they were both so wiry looking. I need a bit of meat on my bones. 

One of my goals was to get my 5k time under 25 mins this year, not a great time compared to a lot of people here, but today managed a 24min28s 5K. Annoyed with myself because the last km was slower (and I got confused by distance on my watch and thought I had further to run than I did so didn't open up until pretty much the last 100m). Absolutely buzzing though, and already trying to work out how to get closer to 20 mins....

One of my goals was to get my 5k time under 25 mins this year, not a great time compared to a lot of people here, but today managed a 24min28s 5K. Annoyed with myself because the last km was slower (and I got confused by distance on my watch and thought I had further to run than I did so didn't open up until pretty much the last 100m). Absolutely buzzing though, and already trying to work out how to get closer to 20 mins....
Good job! I remember how amazing I felt running my first sub 25min 5k and then aiming straight away for sub 20. Best of luck doing it, it will take an immense amount of discipline and determination that I was nowhere near managing.

8 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

22.30 should be your next goal, sub 4.30 / km. It’s quite hard but once you manage that consistently in my experience your times drop a lot easier ie sub 21. Getting under 20 is pretty tough but achievable.

Running club I'm in is doing a virtual three mile challenge. Here's my effort - only problem was I had the rest of my run to do after it and was knackered!

Would suggest it as something to do on here but someone in the club is doing some sort of percentage thing on it so it's based on age and gender rather than overall time and I've no idea how it works!

https://strava.app.link/PCUacLm3i7

Running club I'm in is doing a virtual three mile challenge. Here's my effort - only problem was I had the rest of my run to do after it and was knackered!

Would suggest it as something to do on here but someone in the club is doing some sort of percentage thing on it so it's based on age and gender rather than overall time and I've no idea how it works!

https://strava.app.link/PCUacLm3i7

f**k me that’s quick mate! I can’t imagine I’ll ever reach that speed but I’ve managed to keep getting out.

14 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

f**k me that’s quick mate! I can’t imagine I’ll ever reach that speed but I’ve managed to keep getting out.

That’s an insane speed. I did 23.21 for a 5k this morning and would be happy to chop five seconds, never mind 5 mins out of that. 

Need to keep my weight up as there are a few big boys waiting to try and take my head off once the gyms open. 

Haha cheers, but it is pretty much flat along the cycle path and it was quiet. For comparison my parkrun pb is about 20.30.

Absolute balls out stuff, I'll be fucked for the rest of the day.

That’s an insane speed. I did 23.21 for a 5k this morning and would be happy to chop five seconds, never mind 5 mins out of that. 

Need to keep my weight up as there are a few big boys waiting to try and take my head off once the gyms open. 

There’s a few wee boys wanting to as well...

Haha cheers, but it is pretty much flat along the cycle path and it was quiet. For comparison my parkrun pb is about 20.30. 
Absolute balls out stuff, I'll be fucked for the rest of the day.

20.30, obviously no trying?! [emoji15] how long was the rest of your run after your challenge? I can’t imagine I’d ever want to move again after that never mind run.

Up until recently I’d never ran 10k, done that then done a second and third within a week / 10 days (albeit the 3rd one was split, 2 x 5k’s with 20 mins or so in between - don’t ask), today done 7.1 miles and was feeling comfortable enough at the end. 2 months ago there’s no way I’d have managed that. This thread has definitely helped keep me at it, thanks all.

My pal has roped me into helping him get ready for a half marathon I have found what looks like a reasonable plan online anyone on here gone from doing 7km to 20km. The plan says we should be half ready by the start of August is this reasonable?

Cheers