P&b Running Club

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What apps are folk using for running?

I've been using Strava, but I'm looking for something with a bit more detail (that can still be exported to Strava).

Ideally I want something that I can plug in a distance / time and see how I am comparing against that. So say I want to run a 5k at 4:50 pace, my target time would be 24:10, and I want to see in real-time how ahead / behind of that target I am.

Despite Strava being the market leader its features aren't that great.

I’m using Strava but find the same as you, it does a job but isn’t great. I’m horrendous at pacing myself, beyond know how far ahead/behind I am based on the playlist I listen to when I am out running. I also find the margin for error in Strava to be wild at times. The route I do has measured various distances from 4.9k to 5.5k despite being identical every time. Means I get wild variation on my average speed and my 5k times can’t be fully trusted, though I know they are approximately correct going by the overall time it is taking me.

Edited by Ross.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I’m using Strava but find the same as you, it does a job but isn’t great. I’m horrendous at pacing myself, beyond know how far ahead/behind I am based on the playlist I listen to when I am out running. I also find the margin for error in Strava to be wild at times. The route I do has measured various distances from 4.9k to 5.5k despite being identical every time. Means I get wild variation on my average speed and my 5k times can’t be fully trusted, though I know they are approximately correct going by the overall time it is taking me.

Rather annoyingly I have a TomTom Runner 3 watch but I don't really use it because it only lets me set targets to the nearest minute - I could set a target 5k for 23 minutes, 24 minutes, 25 minutes and so on but not for 24 minutes 10 seconds. If it could it'd be ideal.

Strava has voice prompts per KM. I used to use them but now that I am shit they just annoy me

I did a route which I knew was 5k and which my watch said waw 5K, but strava said it was 4.7. Looks like it hasn't picked up the first part of my run properly as it has me cutting across gardens rather than round them.

Dont pack it in. Sounds like you went out dehydrated. The weather right now will easilly sneak up on you if not carefull.

Going by previous posts on this thread quitting now would be a great disservice to yourself.
I was being a bit over dramatic tbh but genuinely was the worst I've felt for years, not just after runs! Yeah, I'll keep at it. Might do some interval, sprint stuff to keep it varied and get my endurance up.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think I switched that off as it was annoying the shout out of me!

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

I did a route which I knew was 5k and which my watch said waw 5K, but strava said it was 4.7. Looks like it hasn't picked up the first part of my run properly as it has me cutting across gardens rather than round them.

I get that every so often, usually one section at the start of my run and one section around 2/3 of the way in. Not sure if it is the map system it connects to failing to register the footpath I am on which diverges from the main roads. Doesn’t always happen though which means that is probably not the case. In any event I only use the Strava time as a rough guide, though I am absolutely claiming my 23:59 from the other night...

If I'm running a new route, I'll tend to measure it first on Googlemaps, which will be far more accurate than GPS (especially somewhere with lots of trees). That way I'll know exactly how far 5km is. Which sounds a bit ridiculous, but I'm a bit geeky about such things. That way, you can be safe in the knowledge that your GPS says 4.8km, you actually ran the full bhoona. 

image.thumb.png.e9cf9c9cdb8ba0262ca3ba1da407fd9c.png

Showed my trainers to my neighbour who runs iron mans and marathons for fun and he says they are gubbed.

So cash has been splashed on a replacement. Which is just a newer version which I'm looking forward to test driving.

IMG-20200512-WA0002.jpeg

If I'm running a new route, I'll tend to measure it first on Googlemaps, which will be far more accurate than GPS (especially somewhere with lots of trees). That way I'll know exactly how far 5km is. Which sounds a bit ridiculous, but I'm a bit geeky about such things. That way, you can be safe in the knowledge that your GPS says 4.8km, you actually ran the full bhoona. 
image.thumb.png.e9cf9c9cdb8ba0262ca3ba1da407fd9c.png
Yeah, I'm obsessed with exact distances so I can compare times. Can count on one hand the amount of times in the last couple of years that I've run a distance that isn't divisable by 5

38 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Showed my trainers to my neighbour who runs iron mans and marathons for fun and he says they are gubbed.

So cash has been splashed on a replacement. Which is just a newer version which I'm looking forward to test driving.

IMG-20200512-WA0002.jpeg

I'm on my second pair of Asics after more or less using Nike Pegasus for the past ten years. They're great. I've got the Gel Excite ones.

I keep the left foot of all my old running trainers and have them displayed along a windowsill in my conservatory.

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Some days will be worse than others. Sometimes you'll wake up and batter in an amazing run, other days you'll be checking your distance/time before halfway wondering when this hell is going to end. 

A few weeks before Christmas I left my car in town and went to run back for it in the evening (I planned a long roundabout 10k) and had to call it in halfway through, ended up phoning my MIL to come and get me. Was absolutely freezing to the point it was hurting.

22.59 for my 5K tonight. I’m in the process of doing a running challenge this month. 65 miles in May, have run every day in the month and I’m already over half way to that target. Next month might raise it to 75 miles.

17 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Lockdown has absolutely rekindled my love for running, treated myself to a new Garmin and wireless earphones with money saved from gym membership. Looking to get myself to a steady weekly mileage that I can maintain long term.

What Garmin did you get?

And does it let you set a target distance by target time? For example, could you set a target to run a 5k in under 24 minutes 30 seconds and it'll tell you in real-time if you're on target to beat that?

(See my post on the previous page for context!)

Edited by Gaz

5 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

My fitbit lets me set a distance or time target and it notifies me halfway through and at the end but nothing about keeping you on track. Might go for a Garmin over the summer. Due a change.

My TomTom does but annoyingly only lets me set it to whole-minute targets.

What Garmin did you get?
And does it let you set a target distance by target time? For example, could you set a target to run a 5k in under 24 minutes 30 seconds and it'll tell you in real-time if you're on target to beat that?
(See my post on the previous page for context!)

I went for the 245 Music, very pleased so far though I’ve not tried anything complex. Quick google reveals below which might be what your looking for, not sure if it includes voice prompts to say if you are above/below target. IMG_4855.png