P&b Running Club

Had some horrible cold/flu lurgy for more than a week. Weirdly, when I went running last Friday I felt great after it but when I went on Monday I was utterly fucked after a few miles.

Tried parkrun today in the hope it might help sweat some of it out but my body decided it was Prince Andrew instead. Very slow by my standards and felt dead by the end.

Finally got round to doing my first parkrun today at Strathy Park. After a couple months away from running and a month of utter gluttony was hoping to make it round sub 30 mins ( my 5k pb when at my previous peak was sub 25), came in right on the heels of the 29 min pacer and official time came out as 28'52", pretty happy with that. Had heard it was quite a busy parkrun but wasn't quite expecting how busy, over 400 runners all fighting for space on a 3 person wide path, avoiding the mud and puddles became an impossibility!

14 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Finally got round to doing my first parkrun today at Strathy Park. After a couple months away from running and a month of utter gluttony was hoping to make it round sub 30 mins ( my 5k pb when at my previous peak was sub 25), came in right on the heels of the 29 min pacer and official time came out as 28'52", pretty happy with that. Had heard it was quite a busy parkrun but wasn't quite expecting how busy, over 400 runners all fighting for space on a 3 person wide path, avoiding the mud and puddles became an impossibility!

I'm not sure if it's just because it was New Year, but all the parkruns round Scotland were pretty mobbed from the look of it. Even my local one Queen's Park - which normally attracts around 150-200, had nearly 300 people, this despite it being hillier than Tollcross. 

This was the first time I'd actually run Queen's Park and I really need to do something about my hill technique. Ended up walking five times over the course of the three laps. Obviously I'm a bit out-of-shape after my winter shutdown, but I thought I was going to vomit a lung on the last hill up to the flagpole. 

• 5 weeks later...
Guest bernardblack

Training for the marathon is going well but post run I have this feeling in my ankle...

It isn’t sore but it is the equivalent of having to crack your knuckles, if that makes sense?

Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Training for the marathon is going well but post run I have this feeling in my ankle...

It isn’t sore but it is the equivalent of having to crack your knuckles, if that makes sense?

Any ideas?

I have no idea about your problem but glad to hear you're back on the marathon trail.

Is it Edinburgh again?

Guest bernardblack
I have no idea about your problem but glad to hear you're back on the marathon trail.
Is it Edinburgh again?

I am indeed, it was needed!

You running it this year?

7 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I am indeed, it was needed!

You running it this year?

I have a marathon later in the year, but doing the Edinburgh half as part of my training and possibly a guide for whether or not I can beat last year's marathon time.

I've never been a runner, not even been much of a gym goer either. 

Last year I started work with a PT, mainly focusing on weight training as I had to stop playing 11s fitba as my ankles had properly given up the ghost.

Decided to start the couch to 5k thing and I am loving it. The weight training has clearly strengthened my joints and I'm just about to finish week 2 of the program. Hopefully in 7 weeks I'll be running solidly for half an hour, or 5k.

Was thinking of trying a 10k in the Autumn just to have something to aim for, do you think that's too soon?

Any tips?

I'm pretty much the same as you and started Couch to 5k on January 1st. I'm now on Week 6 Run 1 and really enjoying it. In those first couple of weeks where you're running a minute or 3 at a time, I was blowing out my arse and thought this wasn't for me. But I just ran 20 minutes without stopping yesterday and felt I could've kept going quite easily. You should definitely be able to do 10k by autumn. My plan is to run 5k three times a week in March/April then start aiming towards getting that to 10k for the summer.

Guest bernardblack
I've never been a runner, not even been much of a gym goer either. 
Last year I started work with a PT, mainly focusing on weight training as I had to stop playing 11s fitba as my ankles had properly given up the ghost.
Decided to start the couch to 5k thing and I am loving it. The weight training has clearly strengthened my joints and I'm just about to finish week 2 of the program. Hopefully in 7 weeks I'll be running solidly for half an hour, or 5k.
Was thinking of trying a 10k in the Autumn just to have something to aim for, do you think that's too soon?
Any tips?

You’ll have plenty time for that 10k. It’s really surprising how much you can jump up to once you start running 5k’s consistently.

Started running the start of Jan at least 4-5 times a week at the moment, was never a big runner, always hated it and got bored and done my fitness via playing 7's but my calves kept going playing the fitba so I've more or less chucked it for running, tough call but had to be done. I'm feeling a lot stronger as the weeks go by and no issues with the calves when out running. The route I've been going is in total 6.5k and I'm doing that in around 35-40mins, I'm hoping that's kinda decent at this stage? I'm not gliding my way to the end, normally struggling the last 1k but always finish it! Booked in to run my 1st 10k at Glasgow Green in a few weeks, hopefully get round it in about an hour, would be well chuffed with that.

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

You’ll have plenty time for that 10k. It’s really surprising how much you can jump up to once you start running 5k’s consistently.

Would agree with this. The jump from 5k to 10k is far less than the jump from nothing to managing 2/3k for the first time. It has the added benefit of making your 5k times drop substantially as well when you go for shorter runs again.

Doing a 10K in the summer for charity. What would folk recommend for a training schedule?

Doing a 10k this month, started training start of Jan.... Started off with 4k’s the 1st week about 3-4 times a week and just been going longer distances each week, I’m now 1st week of Feb and I’m doing 6.5k’s, defo a improvement each week

5 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

Yes but managing it to allow me still to run. Hurts like all f@@k when it really flares up. I presume you know are experiencing it?

Well, my sister (a doctor) reckons it isn't, because it affects the heel, and my pain is in the top of my foot. But apart from that, it's exactly the same. It only comes along every month or two and it happened today. I got up this morning and literally couldn't put any weight on it and I was wimpering like a wuss. Half an hour later and I'm walking with a bad limp. But by lunchtime, it had practically gone and I was able to do a fitness class with no ill effects. Doesn't seem to be connected to whether I run or not, and I sometimes I get it on the other foot. 

Does it affect your heel? For me, the only thing that does any good is exercise and Ibuprofen. 

There is the Paisley 10k in September, which I might sign up for as a target. I've got a lot on spring, early summer that seems like an idea. 

Just on from my 2nd run on week 2, found it a bit tougher tonight but deliberately finished with an uphill section that might have been the reason! 

Well, my sister (a doctor) reckons it isn't, because it affects the heel, and my pain is in the top of my foot. But apart from that, it's exactly the same. It only comes along every month or two and it happened today. I got up this morning and literally couldn't put any weight on it and I was wimpering like a wuss. Half an hour later and I'm walking with a bad limp. But by lunchtime, it had practically gone and I was able to do a fitness class with no ill effects. Doesn't seem to be connected to whether I run or not, and I sometimes I get it on the other foot. 
Does it affect your heel? For me, the only thing that does any good is exercise and Ibuprofen. 

The pain then the easing then the nothing is the same as I get it. It’s the heel where I get the pain and occasionally on the outside of my foot. It’s only my right foot I get it in and it’s also giving me bother with my calf muscles as well. Compression socks seem to help with that even if I do look like a fud wearing them. I got insoles for my work shoes about a year ago and they’ve been brilliant. £45 ish a pair from arco. Worth every penny. That and properly fitted trainers. Always bought a nine then discovered I was in fact an 8 1/2. That’s made a difference to the fit of the shoe and the recurrence has got less.

15 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

The pain then the easing then the nothing is the same as I get it. It’s the heel where I get the pain and occasionally on the outside of my foot. It’s only my right foot I get it in and it’s also giving me bother with my calf muscles as well. Compression socks seem to help with that even if I do look like a fud wearing them. I got insoles for my work shoes about a year ago and they’ve been brilliant. £45 ish a pair from arco. Worth every penny. That and properly fitted trainers. Always bought a nine then discovered I was in fact an 8 1/2. That’s made a difference to the fit of the shoe and the recurrence has got less.

Glad you're getting over it. My sister prodded my foot a couple of times and then told me to take some Ibuprofin if it comes on. Cheers.