P&b Running Club

Took more than half a minute off last year's time on the 10 mile Brampton to Carlisle race today.

This year comfortably beat my PB for 5 miles, 10 miles and a half marathon and by default set a PB on my first marathon. Shame I didn't manage it on a 10k too (only 5ks I've done are parkruns) too - only done two 10ks this year and one was a trail race and the other had a f**k off hill in it.

What is the best way to improve time/pace after completing couch to 5k/10k without losing the ability to do it? Should you restart from Wk1 but run faster or keep doing the final run but try and run faster?

Edited by boulderdomb

What is the best way to improve time/pace after completing couch to 5k/10k without losing the ability to do it? Should you restart from Wk1 but run faster or keep doing the final run but try and run faster?
I'm no expert and only speak from experience but simply reps, effort and putting yourself in racing situations regularly for example parkruns. You don't get better without reps.

3 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Interval training, fartlek, hill sprints etc. are all good ways to increase speed.

Signed up to another marathon for next year, strangely buzzing for it given how much Edinburgh hurt.

Got best part of a year to train but want to shave a chunk of time off.

Did Edinburgh in 4h 16 minutes (target had been under 4 hours [emoji17]) so first goal is under 4 but would like to push beyond that.

Any tips on taking training to next level?

I have become pretty obsessed with this marathon training plan ;

https://bridgerridgerun.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/how-to-run-a-3-hour-marathon-a-just-enough-training-approach/

It’s aimed at trying to break the 3 hour mark with a ‘just enough’ approach. However it can be adapted to suit whatever your target time is.
I have a 3:42 PB but intend to use this plan to break that at Loch Ness next October.
Planning to run an average 30 miles per week with a speed/hill/fartlek at least once a week in preparation and to work towards the recommended 5k time (current PB is 20:07 and reckon 19 minutes is achievable).

On 25/11/2019 at 15:30, Dons_1988 said:

Signed up to another marathon for next year, strangely buzzing for it given how much Edinburgh hurt.

Got best part of a year to train but want to shave a chunk of time off.

Did Edinburgh in 4h 16 minutes (target had been under 4 hours emoji17.png) so first goal is under 4 but would like to push beyond that.

Any tips on taking training to next level?

There's no magic bullet, assuming you want to stay clean.  Train more and harder.

Singapore marathon starts in 3 hours...

Can't believe I have managed to get a cold the day before it. Not too bad so hoping I can power through.

Never done a night race before so been a long day of waiting. Weather is for some showers and a nice running temp of 25C.

25 degrees is nice?! Good grief.

I was very happy running at 0 degrees this morning [emoji1]

ETA all the best sir, a marathon in those conditions is tough.

That was torture! Not sure I ever need to do another one of those now it is ticked off the bucket list.

From about 32km on it was a real struggle. Cardio was alright as I went slowly but legs were not happy. Could hear the U2 concert and Bono singing Beautiful Day when I was at 26km was just taking the piss.

Very pleased I have completed one but my feet and legs are wrecked.

Also, the 25C was a forlorn hope...was 28C pretty much the whole way round.

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about treating myself and upgrading my smart/running watch.
Currently got a tomtom spark 3 watch which does the job but is a bit basic.
Thinking about a garmin vivoactive 3, anyone got one or had one?
Any other recommendations, must have built in GPS and music function. Budget is no more than £200.

First run on the road in months, from the Golden Jubilee to my flat via Glasgow Green, 10 miles in just under an hour and a half. Had to walk for a couple of minutes at the Hydro as I felt my calves were about to explode.

Not great but reasonable starting point after a good while doing f**k all.