P&b Running Club

It's been a shite few months health and injury wise for me since about May when I had to abandon the marathon prep when up to 20 miles. Every mile was fucking horrible so I just chucked it.

Now on week 5 of the comeback, nowhere near where I've been in the past but starting to see some improvement at last.

I am joining a running group for the first time tonight, hoping a bit of company and structure will bring me on a bit. Either that or it will be awkward and embarrassing as f**k and I'll no go back.

I've no been in a sports club or group since I was at school 

I've found some absolute belting photos of me sprinting to the finish line as well.
checked Strava and I more than doubled my speed with the sprint at the end haha.
tempted to post them here but will get bullied
Are you on the P&B strava group? If not, get signed up to it and we'll poke fun at you there instead - no need to post them here!! Can't beat a strong finish to a race.

It's been pretty low key for me the last few months, not even clocked as much as a 10k since mid-July. Pace was starting to come back with 3 sub-20 parkruns in consecutive weeks but I've torn something in my calf... will be doing hee-haw except dawdling around parkruns for a few weeks while it repairs itself.

First time in years I've not had any races booked. It's strange but actually quite nice.

3 minutes ago, morrison said:

Are you on the P&B strava group? If not, get signed up to it and we'll poke fun at you there instead - no need to post them here!! Can't beat a strong finish to a race.

It's been pretty low key for me the last few months, not even clocked as much as a 10k since mid-July. Pace was starting to come back with 3 sub-20 parkruns in consecutive weeks but I've torn something in my calf... will be doing hee-haw except dawdling around parkruns for a few weeks while it repairs itself.

First time in years I've not had any races booked. It's strange but actually quite nice.

I am not in the strava group, how do I go about joining?

I'm doing the 10k in Brody (unsure of spelling) in November. so hoping to improve on my time 

1 hour ago, staggy1929 said:

I am not in the strava group, how do I go about joining?

I'm doing the 10k in Brody (unsure of spelling) in November. so hoping to improve on my time 

https://www.strava.com/clubs/pieandbovril?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=referral

After a very long time away from running, I’m slowly getting back a wee bit of pace on the treadmill.
Couple of nights a week with 25 mins high tempo (for me) runs followed by a longer slower run at the weekend.
5k times on the slower runs coming down nicely and the target is to get up to 5k distance in my 25min faster runs - currently at about 4.3km
Probably got 3/4 of a stone to lose still which will help.
Any thoughts on improving performance? Should I persist with the longer runs (currently 45 mins) without increasing speed and go for longer?
Fastest 5k a few years ago was 24 mins, so I’ve a bit to go yet.

Without doubt, one of the greatest sporting achievements in history. It won’t get the recognition it deserves.
The question now is will knowing that he can do that spur him on to do it in competition? That would really be something.

You are right though, distance running isn't exactly mainstream so unlikely a feat like this will be a huge deal.

Difficult to get your head round the pace he's running at...  2:50/km,  4:38/mile, 14:26/5km.

I think it might still be a good few years before we see it done in a race environment but its still a phenomenal run and he's undoubtedly accelerated the process.  

Difficult to get your head round the pace he's running at...  2:50/km,  4:38/mile, 14:26/5km.
I think it might still be a good few years before we see it done in a race environment but its still a phenomenal run and he's undoubtedly accelerated the process.  
That's mental, I can't even get anywhere close to that for a single km never mind 40 of them back to back!!

27 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
38 minutes ago, ark loyal said:

That's mental, I can't even get anywhere close to that for a single km never mind 40 of them back to back!!

I tried running 2 hour marathon pace on a treadmill once. I lasted about 30 seconds. 

Edit: He didn't even seem that out of breath at the end. What an arsehole. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Without doubt, one of the greatest sporting achievements in history. It won’t get the recognition it deserves.

It's not surprising after all the Kenyan drug issues and the Nike Project Oregon scandal.

Ineos (lovely company) were the main sponsor here but when he tried at Monza it was Nike. They obviously understand the optics at the moment.

Edited by Detournement

I reckon he'll go close. After the 2:00:25 he went on to smash the world record in Berlin the following year with that 2:01:39. Wouldn't be surprised to see him dip under 2:01 under race conditions next year.

People were buzzing about it at parkrun this morning - it's great to see folk getting excited about this, even if it is just fellow running enthusiasts!