P&b Running Club

On 14/09/2019 at 14:25, MONKMAN said:

Away to work just now so the treadmill it is for me. 9 miles this morning before my shift in 1hr 7. Been gradually increasing my distance and pace, after a painful dose of shin splints. First time I’ve ever had them, but was my own fault. Hadn’t run in months and blitzed 10 miles on the treadmill at a fast pace, was in agony for days after.

Looking to enter a marathon abroad next year and Copenhagen stood out. Anyone got any other suggestions?

I've only ever done one so not really qualified to comment on others, but I did the Reykjavik marathon and it was lovely (probably helped that the weather was nice). No problem getting an entry, a nice route starting and ending in the centre and catching most of the main sites, not much in the way of hills. And it's in August which is a lovely time of year to visit Iceland (if you're not fussed about the Northern Lights). 

20 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've only ever done one so not really qualified to comment on others, but I did the Reykjavik marathon and it was lovely (probably helped that the weather was nice). No problem getting an entry, a nice route starting and ending in the centre and catching most of the main sites, not much in the way of hills. And it's in August which is a lovely time of year to visit Iceland (if you're not fussed about the Northern Lights). 

I'm going to Iceland for a week late November, so probably look to go elsewhere.  From what I've read, Copenhagen sounds pretty similar in that it starts and finishes in the city centre, course is basically flat and you see all the sights.

On 15/09/2019 at 18:26, Dons_1988 said:

First run/exercise in 5 weeks today after cracking my rib.

Managed 5 miles in 43 minutes with minimal pain although feeling the rib a bit now. Not at the level I was but pleasantly surprised that fitness hadn’t completely gone.

Just absolutely delighted to be back exercising.

Did another 5 miles on Monday and 7 on Tuesday, shaving 30 seconds off my mile splits as well.

My rib aches for a couple of hours afterwards but not making it worse so f**k it I'm pushing on. 

Did my longest ever run this morning - 24km.

Started at 5am when the temperature was only 26C...finished at 7:30am and it was already 32C.

The last 5 km was tough and I am starting to get the fear about my first marathon on 30th November. Not sure I could have gone another 18km after that today - knees starting to hurt, sore toes, etc.

Did my longest ever run this morning - 24km.
Started at 5am when the temperature was only 26C...finished at 7:30am and it was already 32C.
The last 5 km was tough and I am starting to get the fear about my first marathon on 30th November. Not sure I could have gone another 18km after that today - knees starting to hurt, sore toes, etc.

That’s a great distance well done.

Don’t get too nervous, try pushing it up a mile a week (or km equivalent) and get plenty of runs in between and plenty recovery work and you’ll be fine. Whatever happens the last part of a marathon is just about forcing yourself through it.

Also respect for doing it in that heat, that would’ve broken me in my marathon.

After 3 and a half years of injuries, surgery, failed recoveries and general disappointment, I finally seem to be at the point where I'm strong enough to get back to it, albeit  in a far more limited way than I was doing back in 2015. I'm going to have a go at parkrun this week for the first time since January 2016 and even though my time will be miles slower than what I was running back then, I'm genuinely happy to have the chance to get out at all. At the start of this year I was starting to resign myself to never being able to run again, with a mixture of dark thoughts and trying to persuade myself that 'ach, cycling isn't too bad'.

I love the competitive element of running and it would be naive to think I'm not going to care about running decent times if I can keep at it and stay pain-free for a while, but for now I'm not that fussed. It's just so nice to rediscover that great feeling of running outside again, particularly running in the rain which I've always loved. People who don't run themselves just don't seem to understand how big a thing it is, but it's important to me  and I'm really looking forward to competing (to some degree) after such a long time away from it.

Good luck Socks :)

Great Scottish Run for me on Sunday. Forecast keeps changing so hopefully it'll be relatively dry. Meeting folk for lunch at two o'clock so that should be an extra incentive to get finished!

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good luck Socks :)

Great Scottish Run for me on Sunday. Forecast keeps changing so hopefully it'll be relatively dry. Meeting folk for lunch at two o'clock so that should be an extra incentive to get finished!

Likewise. It's my 5th year on the trot (no pun intended). Debating whether to do a parkrun tomorrow. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Likewise. It's my 5th year on the trot (no pun intended). Debating whether to do a parkrun tomorrow. Thoughts?

I'm going to a parkrun but only to help out! No chance of me doing any running between now and Sunday. There's seemingly folk who do the 10k and then the half - madness!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I'm going to a parkrun but only to help out! No chance of me doing any running between now and Sunday. There's seemingly folk who do the 10k and then the half - madness!

I was going to volunteer but for once, all the rosters appear to be full. Guess that happens the day before the GSR. In that case, I will follow your advice and just go and get pished instead :)

34 minutes ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Any ideas on best place to park tomorrow for Great Scottish Run?

Whenever I've driven, I've parked near Gorbals Leisure Centre ... it's a bit of a trek into town from the start, but you'll be nice and close to your car after the race. 

Ah well, this non-competitive running phase I was on about lasted all of 15 minutes. Inevitable really, but when someone passed me a couple of minutes from the finish, there was no way I was having it as I knew I had enough for a push to retake the place. Although I wasn't too fussed about time beforehand, I had a vague idea that I'd like to be inside 23 minutes and might do around 22. I'm genuninely amazed then (and very happy indeed) to have finished a few seconds inside 21 as I never thought a time like that would be possible after such a long time out. It's my slowest time at Kirkcaldy Parkrun, but of all of them it's the one I'm most pleased with, PB included.

Good luck everyone running in Glasgow tomorrow. Somehow I've ended up as one of the manual timekeepers for this which should be an intereting experience, if only to see the speed the elites approach the finish at. Looks like decent weather conditions for you, so hopefully some good times to be had.

Any ideas on best place to park tomorrow for Great Scottish Run?
I normally go for Buchanan Galleries - car park opens at 9 and it's £4 for the full day.
Ah well, this non-competitive running phase I was on about lasted all of 15 minutes. Inevitable really, but when someone passed me a couple of minutes from the finish, there was no way I was having it as I knew I had enough for a push to retake the place. Although I wasn't too fussed about time beforehand, I had a vague idea that I'd like to be inside 23 minutes and might do around 22. I'm genuninely amazed then (and very happy indeed) to have finished a few seconds inside 21 as I never thought a time like that would be possible after such a long time out. It's my slowest time at Kirkcaldy Parkrun, but of all of them it's the one I'm most pleased with, PB included.
Good luck everyone running in Glasgow tomorrow. Somehow I've ended up as one of the manual timekeepers for this which should be an intereting experience, if only to see the speed the elites approach the finish at. Looks like decent weather conditions for you, so hopefully some good times to be had.
Great running, good to see that you're back.