P&b Running Club

Does anyone else’s missus go batshit crazy when you blow your nose on your T-shirt after you’ve went for a run and are sweating and snottering profusely? Just home from a five mile run and my thrice weekly lecture has just ended. [emoji23]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the Great Scottish Run like? I'd been toying with doing it, then got an e-mail at work saying there are free places for it so have put my name forward for it.

My main concern is getting to and from the race from Paisley! I assume there is no kit lorries or the like taking stuff to the finish line?

Edited by Stu

56 minutes ago, Stu said:

What is the Great Scottish Run like? I'd been toying with doing it, then got an e-mail at work saying there are free places for it so have put my name forward for it.

My main concern is getting to and from the race from Paisley!

I like it.  Good atmosphere, well organised and a reasonably quick course. 

I've got the train in and out the past couple of times I've done it and that works out alright. Could probably do the same from Paisley I would have thought. 

Edited by ark loyal

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

My main concern is getting to and from the race from Paisley! I assume there is no kit lorries or the like taking stuff to the finish line?

I've done it the last 5 years. Great atmosphere, e.g. bagpipes and bands en route, and loads of people coming out to cheer you on. Course wise, there's not much in the way of hills - apart from right at the start at St Vincent St and again at the Kingston Bridge (always nice to have cars beeping encouragement as well). 

Surely you can just get the train from Paisley? Just a short walk to the start from Central, and a slightly longer hobble from Glasgow Green back to Central afterwards. 

They have lots of buses to carry your gear from the start to the finish. 

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've done it the last 5 years. Great atmosphere, e.g. bagpipes and bands en route, and loads of people coming out to cheer you on. Course wise, there's not much in the way of hills - apart from right at the start at St Vincent St and again at the Kingston Bridge (always nice to have cars beeping encouragement as well). 

Surely you can just get the train from Paisley? Just a short walk to the start from Central, and a slightly longer hobble from Glasgow Green back to Central afterwards. 

They have lots of buses to carry your gear from the start to the finish. 

Brilliant, that's helpful. For some reason I thought the finish was in Bellahouston Park which would have made the train a bit more difficult. Good to know about baggage buses as well, there was no sign of that on the website which is why I wasn't sure. I'm used to smaller events where I can dump stuff in the car 10 minutes before the start!

The price had been putting me off but being able to do it for just the cost of my train ticket is win-win :)

Was planning on doing the NL Cumbernauld 10k but lack of confidence in my running delayed me entering. Unfortunately I’m too late to enter now as it’s full but I’m road running 5miles in 53minutes. Not super fast I know but I’m enjoying it and I’m sure I’ll fit a 10k in in the near future and will break the 60 minute mark. The problem will be keeping it going in the winter as at the moment I’m doing 2 outdoor runs per week and 2 sessions in the gym. Anyway thanks for the tips a wee while ago, I always look at this thread for a wee bit of encouragement and it helps.

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Sorry to be daft but the great Scottish run will be my first organised run. I was assuming I would tip up, and go home in, my running gear. I assume dunping gesr on these buses folk are just taking a tracky top and bottoms to throw on to get home etc?

You can put anything you like on the bus (although they might raise an eye-brow if you rocked up with a cello or something). Depending on the weather, I'd take clothes to wear on the way home. I've also stuck my bank card and keys in there, but that's obviously a bit risk. Each bus has a range of numbers on its side (e.g. 5,000 to 6,000) and you can only put your stuff on the bus corresponding to your race number (which must be pinned to the front of your shirt). This means that in theory, nobody can get on the bus to steal your stuff (unless they're also in the 5,000 to 6,000 range) but I'm sure a determined ne'er-do-well will find a way round that. 

I just can't be fucked at the minute. I want to go out and look forward to it but then I get out there and my running is shite only managing a couple miles and then feeling knackered and not able to push through it.

Any way to get out this funk? 

I just can't be fucked at the minute. I want to go out and look forward to it but then I get out there and my running is shite only managing a couple miles and then feeling knackered and not able to push through it.
Run more accountable races

14 hours ago, pub car king said:

Make sure you're doing some really easy stuff sometimes...  Go out without your watch or make a concerted effort not to pay attention to pace and just run to feel keeping it nice and comfortable.

Join a club.  Running with others can really help you to push yourself and gives you something to look forward to and a reason to get out the door.

Away to work just now so the treadmill it is for me. 9 miles this morning before my shift in 1hr 7. Been gradually increasing my distance and pace, after a painful dose of shin splints. First time I’ve ever had them, but was my own fault. Hadn’t run in months and blitzed 10 miles on the treadmill at a fast pace, was in agony for days after.

Looking to enter a marathon abroad next year and Copenhagen stood out. Anyone got any other suggestions?

4 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Away to work just now so the treadmill it is for me. 9 miles this morning before my shift in 1hr 7. Been gradually increasing my distance and pace, after a painful dose of shin splints. First time I’ve ever had them, but was my own fault. Hadn’t run in months and blitzed 10 miles on the treadmill at a fast pace, was in agony for days after.

Looking to enter a marathon abroad next year and Copenhagen stood out. Anyone got any other suggestions?

I am doing Berlin in 2 weeks, will update how it is. Seems to be ok chance of getting in, 1 in 3 this year I think, and it’s one of the major marathons. 

First run/exercise in 5 weeks today after cracking my rib.

Managed 5 miles in 43 minutes with minimal pain although feeling the rib a bit now. Not at the level I was but pleasantly surprised that fitness hadn’t completely gone.

Just absolutely delighted to be back exercising.