P&b Running Club

Doing my first Parkrun in over a year and a half tomorrow. Looking to go under 23.30

23.23 was this mornings time. As I seem to always do I went out too fast and struggled in the last kilometre.

My wife joined me today and without sounding like a soppy c**t I’m very proud of her. She isn’t a runner and absolutely hates the thought of it but she did the full course. She done a mix of running and walking and I reckon did around the 42 minute mark. Her previous best was just under 45 minutes.

Did my first ever parkrun at Cramond in Edinburgh today. Mental weather, started in sun and had crazy wind and rain as well. Went off far too fast and struggled a bit around the 3km point but managed 22:29 - 1 sec under my target.

Living abroad, I have missed the parkrun movement starting up but I am so impressed with the organisation and spirit around the run. Going to do the Perth one next week before heading home.

On 19/07/2019 at 14:06, Rossi1990 said:

Run the blades 10k tonight. Always wanted to do it so excited for that. In training for Great North Run at the moment so got long run planned for Sunday too. Enjoying the build up of miles in the training

Did Run the Blades 10k and enjoyed it except from getting absolutely bitten to bits on my legs! I  managed to avoid the worse of the weather until walking back to the car. The 1 hour plus runners would have got absolutely drenched.

I saved too much energy for 'that hill' everyone kept talking about at 7k and ran the 5th and 6th kms too slow, hey ho you live and learn. The grass section over the dam was interesting- single file so keep up with the person in front or else and some of the rocky sections were ankle twisters! Can't decide if I wore the right shoes or not either! 

On 20/07/2019 at 12:23, Saigon Raider said:

Did my first ever parkrun at Cramond in Edinburgh today. Mental weather, started in sun and had crazy wind and rain as well. Went off far too fast and struggled a bit around the 3km point but managed 22:29 - 1 sec under my target.

Living abroad, I have missed the parkrun movement starting up but I am so impressed with the organisation and spirit around the run. Going to do the Perth one next week before heading home.

Nothing to stop you starting one up in Indonesia!

I was visiting a friend down near Croydon over the weekend, so it was a good chance to try out a different parkrun. Opted for Roundshaw rather than Cheam as it was a few metres closer. Leapt out of bed at sparrow's fart (and they start half an hour earlier in England) to drag my hangover the three or so miles to the start. I get to Roundshaw Park at 0855 to find not a soul, except some junkie who was desperate for a shot of my phone. Who'd have thought that the Roundshaw parkrun wasn't held in Roundshaw Park, but instead in Roundshaw Downs, about a mile away. Luckily, someone else rocked up who made the same mistake as me - and for the 2nd time this year, I hitched a ride off a potential mass murderer to a run. We arrived about 905am - and handily - the world's most loquacious run director was only 5 minutes into his 15 minute spiel. Not quite sure why, but at least half the runners had religious t-shirts on with slogans such as "I'm running with Jesus". 

Sadly, even the Good Lord Himself couldn't have helped me get a good time. It was basically a trail run, hilly and potentially ankle-breaking in parts. It was also incredibly narrow in places - impossible to overtake. What with that and the sweltering heat, I muddled over the line in well over 25 minutes and all my best laid plans of running home got binned for an Uber. 

Did Run the Blades 10k and enjoyed it except from getting absolutely bitten to bits on my legs! I  managed to avoid the worse of the weather until walking back to the car. The 1 hour plus runners would have got absolutely drenched.
I saved too much energy for 'that hill' everyone kept talking about at 7k and ran the 5th and 6th kms too slow, hey ho you live and learn. The grass section over the dam was interesting- single file so keep up with the person in front or else and some of the rocky sections were ankle twisters! Can't decide if I wore the right shoes or not either! 

I really enjoyed the race. Route was good. Yeah I lost a bit of time on the grassy bit but was better going a bit slower than going full pelt on it as it was pretty slippy. I really enjoyed the hill. Weird to say but I enjoy running up hills. My time was 48:34 which is was delighted with and managed to overtake some people in the last km which was a positive for me.

Parkrun again on Saturday. 26:32 which I'm happy with, main aim is under 2 hours at Musselburgh half in late September. Did 2h16 last year when my knee decided not to bother after about 8 miles. 

Mrs wants to do gym classes together but I'd much rather plug my headphones in and run along the beach than have some arsehole shout at me for not lifting my legs high enough (or whatever happens in those places)

50 minutes ago, Rossi1990 said:

I really enjoyed the race. Route was good. Yeah I lost a bit of time on the grassy bit but was better going a bit slower than going full pelt on it as it was pretty slippy. I really enjoyed the hill. Weird to say but I enjoy running up hills. My time was 48:34 which is was delighted with and managed to overtake some people in the last km which was a positive for me.

So did I and I enjoyed it as I often run Queen's Park hill in Glasgow so was used to it and got past a lot of faster runners on the hill. Someone near me likened the grass to Takeshi's Castle which was a bit much, it was OK. 

Race briefing mentioned 800 runners and a 200+ waiting list, but see only 600-odd took part which is disappointing although probably down to weather. I enjoyed the announcer asking "as this is the 5th year how many people had done all 5?" and nobody putting their hands up! 😂

Ran my best 1k today apparently according to the Garmin - 7:14 and not stopped telling anyone so thought I'd share here too. This time last year I couldn't even run the 60 seconds on the 5k runner and it took me weeks before I could complete week 1. Next stop is chopping off those 14 seconds and getting 7 as my PB. My average the past month has been between 7:30 and 8:30 so I'm well chuffed tonight however it's summarizing what the reports have already told me - I'm not keeping a consistent pace and speeding up and down.

Are there any tips out there on better pacing myself rather than these fluctuation? 

I've also just started the 10k Runner app after completing the 5k runner, I've noticed that the first few weeks seem very similar to the 5k runner, should I skip these weeks or is it recommended I complete all weeks again?

Are there any tips out there on better pacing myself rather than these fluctuation? 

Over time I've developed a playlist all of songs that have a tempo that more or less match my breathing when running a comfortable pace. If I find I'm struggling to keep up with the beat then I must be pushing too hard so slow down slightly and vice versa. Might not be for everyone but I find I can run much longer more easily and my km times can be regulated to within a second or 2.

Guest bernardblack

Over time I've developed a playlist all of songs that have a tempo that more or less match my breathing when running a comfortable pace. If I find I'm struggling to keep up with the beat then I must be pushing too hard so slow down slightly and vice versa. Might not be for everyone but I find I can run much longer more easily and my km times can be regulated to within a second or 2.

Same for me. I also run to podcasts which seem to help me keep a pace

Podcasts I listen to are Adam Buxtom, Football Weekly, Wrestle Me, Athletico Mince, Planet Money. I also have some books on Audible and am currently working through Andrew Marr - A History of the World. I find it quite difficult to concentrate with books though.

On another note, did my first run with my 7 year old tonight and did 1km in 7m. He seems really into it and we are going to run the junior parkrun on Sunday.

My mate at work brought his daughter along to the parkrun a few weeks back. She'd only just turned eight and never run before outside of school. She crossed the line with her dad in under 27 minutes ... he looked like he'd just run the Marathon des Sables while she looked like she'd just spent the time skipping around picking flowers.

Nobody could believe how quick she was - especially her big sister whose nose was seriously out of joint as she's much older, in an athletics club and was only a minute or so faster. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Am looking to upgrade my TomTom gps watch in the next few weeks. Any recommendations?
Ideally want one that does for running and swimming, links to Spotify so I don’t need to take phone out as well and something that looks good enough to be worn as a watch day to day. Looking for one that has a lot of training features so don’t mind paying a bit for something that will last me.

• 2 weeks later...

Been up in fife last week and ran a few bits of the coastal path, Kinghorn to Aberdour came in at just over 8k and was a good course along the low road, somewhere I haven't walked in about 22 years🤯.

Also found out there's going to be a Kirkcaldy half marathon later in the month anyone on here participating. 

Managed a few runs while I was away. First two were in Mexico and El Salvador. Both of which, I was dying in the heat by 4k. Fucked it in the second one by getting stuck at the bottom of a hill which I then had to ascend. Was more strategic in Costa Rica when I went out at 6.50 before it was outrageously hot so finally made it to 5k.

Times weren't anything to write home about but glad I managed to get out a bit. Lost precious minutes trying not to break my ankles on cobblestones and dirt roads. Also early decapitated myself by running into a low hanging wire. Bring on Pollok parkrun after all that!