P&b Running Club

8 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

I've never been the slightest bit concerned about calories.

It was just an excuse to get a mid-week bit of junk food to be honest. It tasted absolutely unreal after running nearly ten miles.

Food tastes best after a run - be it a massive breakfast in the morning or dinner out after an afternoon run.

21 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

Never try and run a fast (for you) 10k two days after giving blood. You’re fecked after about 5-6 and the last bit’s torture. Well all that applies to me anyway.

Yeah, running after giving blood is brutal. I remember the first time I did that - it was the club handicap the day after and I couldn't work out why I was so far off my predicted time!

It's been nice all day in Dumfries today. It's a nice evening now. The only exception was when it pissed it down between 6pm and 7.30pm - which, of course, is the time I go to running club every Monday. Utterly drenched.

Edited by Stu

5K this morning. Stif breeze on the coast which was at my back for the first half of my run and into my face the second part. The wind clearly had an affect as the 3rd mile split was timed at 8.08.

Time of 24.13 which is 1.46 slower than my lifetime 5K best.

I'm new to this running malarkey. Old and very unfit I started C25K a few weeks ago and found the first week hard going. 2nd week got easier but outside influences got in the way. Didn't fancy starting all over again so Googled around and found NoneToRun. Seems an easier start with better later transitions and with the added bonus of an exercise regime for rest days.
Has anyone tried this?

Was up in Skye for the half marathon on Sunday. Good god, what a brutal course. Uphill for miles out of Portree and constant up-downs on the way back in, not helped by it actually being a nice day (if I wasn't running).

Took me an age to recover afterward but it's well worth a trip up; just keep in mind it's no PB course! Missed the ceilidh afterward sadly, which I imagine would've been... tricky.

I'm pacing at Victoria Park tomorrow, then doing the Port Glasgow 10k on Sunday. Quite a cheap one (£7!) and flat, so looking forward to it. 

Made the mistake of doing a parkrun before the Killearn 10k a couple of weeks ago, which meant not only was I knackered and ended up walking some of it, I also got there too late and they'd run out of t-shirts. I got a vest which will never be worn since I've got arms like pipe-cleaners. 

Has anybody got any recommendations for a running watch that I could listen to music and podcasts with? Was looking at the Garmin Vivoactive 3 music.

Also in the market for some Bluetooth headphones. The pure wireless ones look a bit expensive to me, I don't mind the wire around the back of my neck - the biggest thing is how solid the headphones are in my ear - can't stand having to adjust them.

Any recommendations welcome.

Tom Tom watch. Sometimes if not fully charged the GPS takes a while to find itself but it's perfect with Bluetooth earphones.

I've got the ones that have a band around your ear to help keep it in place, only ones that seem to stay put.

Started a bit again, limiting myself to 5k as I don't want to risk another few years of constant niggly injuries, as well as aches or pains. Probably best avoiding this thread as I will only end up too tempted to see how far I can go again and be fucking about with half marathon plans before I know it. Managed to go under 25 minutes on my 5k route(Actually 4.87k according to Strava) for the first time in about 4 years, which was nice. Still miles off the 22/22:30 range that I was doing with ease when at my peak*.

*More Conic Hill than Matterhorn.

Well my pacing at Vicky Park didn't go too well. I was relying on my GPS to stick to 5 minutes per km. I also kept the 24 minute guy a decent distance ahead of me. 

It was only when some woman informed me that I was going far too fast did I realise that my GPS was lying to me and the 24 minute was guy was bombing it as well. 

I slowed down to a walk approaching the finishing line and I was still going to cross it too early so I came to a complete stop and stood there like a total lemon for about 30 seconds so I'd cross the line at exactly 25 minutes. I even made an arse of that and ended up several seconds over. Oh well. 

On 16/06/2019 at 13:58, Saigon Raider said:

Has anybody got any recommendations for a running watch that I could listen to music and podcasts with? Was looking at the Garmin Vivoactive 3 music.

Also in the market for some Bluetooth headphones. The pure wireless ones look a bit expensive to me, I don't mind the wire around the back of my neck - the biggest thing is how solid the headphones are in my ear - can't stand having to adjust them.

I invested in the vivoactive 3 music about a month ago, it was down to 150 in argos but has gone back up in price since then. That said Amazon prime day must be soon?

It's a good mix of lifestyle and running watch. It's not as slick looking as a galaxy or apple watch but it looks quite subtle on the wrist, but it still has all the features you would expect from a Garmin running watch.

The music has to loaded on via a cable on the laptop, but you can wirelessly download podcasts.

On 16/06/2019 at 13:58, Saigon Raider said:

I have a TomTom Spark 3. There are various models but the one I have has a built-in HRM and ability to store music and stream it to bluetooth headphones, so I don't need to take my phone out with me. I believe it's discontinued now but you should be able to find a new one from a third-party seller for about a hundred sheets.

For bluetooth headphones I'd recommend the Mpow Blaze, that's what I use.

• 2 weeks later...

This is maybe a stupid question but...

Running 10k on flat (canal path) I’m slower than the same distance than on a route that’s 5k constant slight uphill, turn around then 5k downhill. I’d have thought it would balance out to about the same. Maybe it’s the ease of quick bursts on the downhill section whereas plodding uphill I’m maybe at the same pace I would be on the flat. Is it in my head or is there logic to this?

I dont think there is any logic to running sometimes it's great sometimes its absolute shite and anywhere in between it might be that the flat is easier to plod along where as hills and descents make you run differently. 

Started running quite a bit again to improve mental health after a particularly shitty saga at work. I have probably done about 100k since the start of June and it’s interesting how the fitness builds up - previously i’d do 5 - 6 k a few times a week but I have been doing 10k quite regularly and it massively improves stamina and speed over 5k in a much shorter time.

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

This is maybe a stupid question but...

Running 10k on flat (canal path) I’m slower than the same distance than on a route that’s 5k constant slight uphill, turn around then 5k downhill. I’d have thought it would balance out to about the same. Maybe it’s the ease of quick bursts on the downhill section whereas plodding uphill I’m maybe at the same pace I would be on the flat. Is it in my head or is there logic to this?

I think you can maintain a much higher relative speed over a long distance going downhill, so for me, I might drop 10s per k uphill but easily gain 20 - 25s per k downhill.

2 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Started running quite a bit again to improve mental health after a particularly shitty saga at work. I have probably done about 100k since the start of June and it’s interesting how the fitness builds up - previously i’d do 5 - 6 k a few times a week but I have been doing 10k quite regularly and it massively improves stamina and speed over 5k in a much shorter time.

I think you can maintain a much higher relative speed over a long distance going downhill, so for me, I might drop 10s per k uphill but easily gain 20 - 25s per k downhill.

I'll put my runkeeper app on next time and see what the splits are like but that's how it felt to me - minimal difference in slight incline but big difference on the downhill.