P&b Running Club

Guest bernardblack

My god that was painful. So glad I’ve done it considering where I was 8 months ago as a non functioning member of the human race.

Didn’t quite make my target but absolutely delighted to have done it. Hope you enjoyed it too mate.

I’m away to get drunk.

Congrats mate!

Tell you something, that three mile stretch at the end where you double back on yourself is an absolute killer.

It really isn't a brilliant route, but I understand folk like it because it's fast.

Edited by Gaz

My daughters talked me into doing a 10k in September. Never done any kinda distance run. I’m a 13st 52 year old who toddles about a gym twice a week. Is an hour a realistic target or am a better off just concentrating on finishing.

Tell you something, that three mile stretch at the end where you double back on yourself is an absolute killer.
It really isn't a brilliant route, but I understand folk like it because it's fast.
Did you get a pint at the stewart brewing tent afterwards?? Well done to all on here who did it today. The traffic afterwards is the only negative point, i'm glad I went out early today!

Guest bernardblack

I really struggle with that. Nothing worse than struggling a bit and seeing people on the way back home!

1 hour ago, 2lgm said:

My daughters talked me into doing a 10k in September. Never done any kinda distance run. I’m a 13st 52 year old who toddles about a gym twice a week. Is an hour a realistic target or am a better off just concentrating on finishing.

An hour is definitely a realistic target, especially when you have a few months training ahead of you.

1 hour ago, philpy said:
2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Did you get a pint at the stewart brewing tent afterwards?? Well done to all on here who did it today. The traffic afterwards is the only negative point, i'm glad I went out early today!

Nah, a couple of my colleagues had come through with snacks / drinks to meet us at the end, so I had a nice refreshing can of Vitamin T.

20 hours ago, 2lgm said:

I got into running by having a bet with my mate about 6 years ago that I could run 10k in under an hour ... this was after 20 years of not running at all. I managed it, although I couldn't walk for three days afterwards. It's definitely doable... how tall are you though? If you're 6ft then 13 stone is fine ... if you're 5 foot tall and 13 stone you might struggle a bit!

9 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Pictures are online from Sunday. I look utterly miserable in every single one!

I look like I’m a mix of Angry Neil Lennon and Morton Gary O’Connor. Safe to say that I’m not spending 24 quid on it.

Considering entering the Inverness marathon on October 6. Never did one before, ran Edinburgh half 3 years ago (1-49).

I am not a runner and not at this point of time particularly fit, although I have been in the past so assume it would come back reasonably quickly

What's an ideal training plan for a beginner?

Considering entering the Inverness marathon on October 6. Never did one before, ran Edinburgh half 3 years ago (1-49).

I am not a runner and not at this point of time particularly fit, although I have been in the past so assume it would come back reasonably quickly

What's an ideal training plan for a beginner?
I'd start as soon as you can. Even just getting out a couple of times a week on short runs or run/walks depending on fitness. Have you done much since the half 3 years ago?

Any plan would depend on what your body could reasonably cope with and yoyr own schedule. At it's most basic, you want something like:
- a short, faster run
- a longer slow run
- another somewhere in between

Each would typically build on the week before. Every fourth week cut back on the distance to allow for recovery/adaption, then on you go.

Apologies if that was too basic, not sure where you're coming from experience-wise.

My cardio has been sporadic. Mostly weights,been out running maybe 3 times in the past couple of weeks but not a lot before that.
This time last year I was running a fair bit - mostly 3-5 miles at a time, about 715-7.30 a mile on better days.

I don't think it would take long for my fitness to come back. Reckon the most I could do just now would be about 6 miles but would be slow.

Is there a link to a tried and tested progression programme than first timers could follow? I followed one to the letter the last time I did that half.

My cardio has been sporadic. Mostly weights,been out running maybe 3 times in the past couple of weeks but not a lot before that.
This time last year I was running a fair bit - mostly 3-5 miles at a time, about 715-7.30 a mile on better days.

I don't think it would take long for my fitness to come back. Reckon the most I could do just now would be about 6 miles but would be slow.

Is there a link to a tried and tested progression programme than first timers could follow? I followed one to the letter the last time I did that half.
I use the Runkeeper app but you have to pay to access the full fitness plan.

Adidas have just released Runtastic and you can get a free 7 day trial with that.

I'm gonna do the Glasgow Half in September, now that I know I can get within 42 seconds of being in the 1:30s that's what I'm gonna go for.