P&b Running Club

Just back from the Stirling half marathon.  Couldn't have asked for better weather conditions - cloudy, dry, no wind and about 9C.  Really pleased with my time which was a little over 1 hr 24 min, so under my stretch target of 1 hr 25.  
Hope everyone else doing the half or the full marathon had a good one! 
That's an insane great time, well done!

Just back from the Stirling half marathon.  Couldn't have asked for better weather conditions - cloudy, dry, no wind and about 9C.  Really pleased with my time which was a little over 1 hr 24 min, so under my stretch target of 1 hr 25.  
Hope everyone else doing the half or the full marathon had a good one! 

Amazing mate well done.

I’m on my way home too, a more modest 1 hour 45 for me!

I broke my foot in two places a few months ago, just started running again about four weeks ago and managed to drag myself around the Madrid 10k yesterday. Not a great time but it's a start. Got another one in two weeks then proper training for a half kicking in. 

Well done to those of you who done Stirling or London today.

Three hours, 42 minutes and 11 seconds for London, my first ever marathon. Ideal conditions, the main problem aside from the congestion was one of my gels falling out my pocket!

Well done to everyone else running today.

Nice one Stu. My first saw me go out too quick and crumble at 19 miles! Long way home.

Also ran London, marathon #18 for me. Bang in the middle of past times; 20ish mins from best and worst in 3:26. My legs hate me.

Well done to you all. Nice to hear about everyone's exploits ... here's my sorry tale ...

Stirling half for me. Stayed with my sister in Perth last night and she gave me a run in since there was no public  transport. Told her we needed to leave at 7.30am at the latest, but at 7.40am she's still dicking about with a smoke alarm and generally pottering around. She's also hidden all the breakfast stuff so I have to make do with a glass of smoothie. 

In her infinite wisdom, she also decided to not bother fully charging her electric car - so 10 miles from our destination her motor goes into turtle mode, the motorway turn-offs are already closed - and by the time we limp into Stirling Services, there is only 20 minutes till kick-off and no way of getting to the start .

First time in my life I've ever hitched a lift off a complete stranger. Stuart from Larbert wasn't even going that way, but he gave me a lift. Sound sound chap. (If you're reading this, apologies for my garbled explanation about why I introduced myself as Richie but my marathon number said Andrew). 

Pretty sure Eliud Kipchoge didn't have to go to through this palarver to get to the London Marathon.

Amazingly, I get to the race just in time to join the white runners (not skin colours, race number colours). First 5k is mostly downhill and I go FAR too fast (second fastest ever 5k after my parkrun yesterday, and I beat my best ever 10k time too). Since I skipped breakfast, I decided to have one of the energy gels at the first drinks station. God it was bogging. I was a sticky mess, and there wasn't a water station to clean myself up for another 8km or so. 

These energy gels are addictive. As soon as I had one, I wanted another. I actually stopped at the last drinks station to get one and they had none. I even went about asking all the volunteers, like an absolute junkie. At one point, I was eyeing up a few half-used ones scattered on the road but drew the line at sooking the toenails out of them. So the last 3 miles, I walked more than I ran. I've never been so knackered at a half-marathon before. It didn't help that the last bit is quite a long uphill. 

Crossed the line in 1hr 41m, beating my PB by about 7 minutes. Could have been so much better if I'd had breakfast and didn't set off like a kid on his first fun run.

Still, having been running for about 6 years, I'm pretty chuffed I managed to beat my 5km, 10km and half marathon PBs all in the same weekend. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Some of these times are insane to me - no idea how you can have such a nightmare and still do 1:41. My last half was 2 hours, I could blame the 35C by the end but no way in any weather I could get near you guys.

Just got my fastest 8km the other day and that was 36:50. After just two months of proper training already noticing a real difference.

25 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

Some of these times are insane to me - no idea how you can have such a nightmare and still do 1:41. My last half was 2 hours, I could blame the 35C by the end but no way in any weather I could get near you guys.

Just got my fastest 8km the other day and that was 36:50. After just two months of proper training already noticing a real difference.

Well on the other hand, there is no way on this planet that I could even go out for a leisurely stroll at 35 degrees Celsius - let alone do a half marathon, so 2 hours is a fine time!

Well on the other hand, there is no way on this planet that I could even go out for a leisurely stroll at 35 degrees Celsius - let alone do a half marathon, so 2 hours is a fine time!

Correct, I had to sprint for the bus the other day and I was fucked for about an hour.

Fitness is a subjective term.

Guest bernardblack

Correct, I had to sprint for the bus the other day and I was fucked for about an hour.

Fitness is a subjective term.

This. Four weeks away from a marathon and I honestly don’t think I would be in any state for a game of fives.

After my partial success in Stirling at the weekend, I'm eager to try and get under 1hr 40m for a half marathon. The next likely candidate is Kirkcudbright at the end of May. Anyone got any experiences of it to share?

It kicks off at 11am on Saturday morning, so I'd have time to do the Dumfries parkrun beforehand. I appreciate this isn't ideal preparation to get a speedy half-marathon, but I'm always up for trying new parkruns.