P&b Running Club

Done my first ever parkrun this morning, at Montrose. Never run a 5k before so was a bit unsure about what pace to run at as my runs are usually longer so decided to run a bit faster seeing as it was a short run and really enjoyed it, as a flat a course as I've ever run not one hill. Got round in 20.58 in 6th place so was well pleased. Very well organised by the volunteers and to get an email just a couple of hours after finishing with your time and placing was mighty impressive. Definitely be back when I get the chance.

Has anyone ever suffered from pain down the outside of the ankle, up the Achilles’ tendon and up the tendon that runs up the front of your shin simultaneously? It then goes away till you least expect it then returns with a vengeance. I know it sounds daft but it’s not stopping me running but it’s giving me grief afterwards on and off. It’s the simplest things that trigger it as well. Hard to explain fully.

12 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

Has anyone ever suffered from pain down the outside of the ankle, up the Achilles’ tendon and up the tendon that runs up the front of your shin simultaneously? It then goes away till you least expect it then returns with a vengeance. I know it sounds daft but it’s not stopping me running but it’s giving me grief afterwards on and off. It’s the simplest things that trigger it as well. Hard to explain fully.

Afraid I can't help chief. I used to get untold running injuries running in 5 year old gutties until I took the plunge and went to a sports shop and actually got a decent pair of running shoes designed for my gait. Since then, apart from a few aches and pains that disappeared when I took a couple of Ibuprofen, I've been injury free. 

Did the Peebles parkrun yesterday. Quite a strange set-up ... they don't have much space to play with so, it's a 3-lapper, but before you do the 3 laps you have to do a different loop and then run back over the start line. A moderately-sized hill you have to climb 3.5 times but nice surroundings, and as always, super-friendly. 

On 12/04/2019 at 08:52, pub car king said:

It's a funny thing this running I'm beginning to think it's all in the mind.

Most of it is, providing you're in decent physical shape.

I find it a real battle to motivate myself to get ready and go out. Once I actually make it five minutes along the road, I really enjoy myself. It's the mental hurdle of getting ready when it's dark, cold, rainy, whatever.

Most of it is, providing you're in decent physical shape.
I find it a real battle to motivate myself to get ready and go out. Once I actually make it five minutes along the road, I really enjoy myself. It's the mental hurdle of getting ready when it's dark, cold, rainy, whatever.
When you've finished a 630am run in the pishing, freezing winter it feels magic!

22 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

I post about the outside ankle on here the other day.  Mine is during the running itself. Don’t know if it’s because I’ve short tendons in back legs (used be tip toe walker).

A while ago I could barely walk after an 11 mile run with my knee feeling in pieces. Went to a clinic in Perth and they analysed my running style - the doctor told me I had weak glutes!! So, all the pressure was onto my knee due to this and that is where the pain came from.

I now do Pilates twice a week and it has made a massive difference in my posture and lengthening my hamstrings. Flexibility is so much better, has helped my football and running - feel fitter now at 40 than I did at 25. I am lucky as my health insurance covers the classes but I would highly recommend it or even following something on YouTube.

Have said on here before I am not a good runner, I have also never caught the bug which some people are convinced exists that then allows you to enjoy running.... However, as previously discussed I had a driving force up until recently sso I need another, so I think I will sign up to a 10k. Can comfortably if a little slowly knock out 5k so the Glasgow one in Sept should be easily acheivable and keep me motivated.

Guest bernardblack
I need a target or I am fucking hopeless. Sign up for anything and it should help - I bought Runkeeper and it will help with a training programme if you need help to know how far/fast in the build up.

Same for me. If I don’t have a run in the calendar I’m super lazy.

Marathon fear is starting to kick in slightly. Less than six weeks until Edinburgh and it’s my first one.

Just now, bernardblack said:

Marathon fear is starting to kick in slightly. Less than six weeks until Edinburgh and it’s my first one.

Same here. I think my training is going fine but beginning to shite it a bit. 6 weeks isn't long at all.

Guest bernardblack
Same here. I think my training is going fine but beginning to shite it a bit. 6 weeks isn't long at all.

Just going to try and enjoy it and take it all in.

Final long run scheduled in for the first weekend in May and aiming for 20 miles.

Attended a meeting last night about proposed new Parkruns in and around Glasgow. It would appear that Queens Park and Whitelees Wind Farm are the front runners - the former will probably be easier to get started than the latter. From a selfish POV, Queen's Park is idea as it's very close to my flat. I'm sure Whitelees would be great as a well - on a nice day anyway!

(I asked the Parkrun ambassador if it was okay to share this information btw!)

On 15/04/2019 at 12:39, Bairnardo said:

Have said on here before I am not a good runner, I have also never caught the bug which some people are convinced exists that then allows you to enjoy running.... However, as previously discussed I had a driving force up until recently sso I need another, so I think I will sign up to a 10k. Can comfortably if a little slowly knock out 5k so the Glasgow one in Sept should be easily acheivable and keep me motivated.

There’s a 10K in Killie coming up in a couple of months, you could come to that as it’ll be a long long time before you visit Killie again for footballing reasons.