P&b Running Club

Another five miles tonight. 4'57"/km pace, could have probably pushed it a bit more but legs still a bit sore from yesterday's run and squats last night.

Guest bernardblack
11 hours ago, pub car king said:

Pretty much really, if you went to a running shop and had your gait looked at and likely spent a few quid they will be ready to go.

Cheers. I could've elaborated tbh! Aiming for 13 miles tomorrow and had concerns about doing that in new trainers but managed to get out for a few miles last night! 

I got my first pair of running trainers for Christmas and I've covered 100 miles so far including a good few 10k runs honestly its the best money I've spent on running gear my legs and lungs are fucked but my feet never have any issues at all.

Delighted with my run today. Managed 22 miles in just over three hours (and I was deliberately trying not to go too fast in the first half). Took gels about every hour to get used to them.

Much more confident about London now. Six weeks to go - a few more runs like that and I'll be more than happy.

Another seven miles tonight. Really wasn't feeling it, but forced myself to go out, and started enjoying it five minutes in.

My splits (for anyone who's interested):

1. 4:51
2. 4:57
3. 5:07
4. 4:58
5. 4:56
6. 4:48
7. 4:52
8. 4:59
9. 4:57
10: 4:52
11. 4:46
11.2. 4:45

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

Another seven miles tonight. Really wasn't feeling it, but forced myself to go out, and started enjoying it five minutes in.

My splits (for anyone who's interested):

2. 4:57
3. 5:07
4. 4:58
5. 4:56
6. 4:48
7. 4:52
8. 4:59
9. 4:57
10: 4:52
11. 4:46
11.2. 4:45

Weirdly, I am. Nice splits mate. Was Km no 3 hilly?

I've often thought about posting my Runkeeper map / stats, but they all start and end at my house and I don't want you all coming round to rob me when I'm not in. 

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Weirdly, I am. Nice splits mate. Was Km no 3 hilly?

I've often thought about posting my Runkeeper map / stats, but they all start and end at my house and I don't want you all coming round to rob me when I'm not in. 

Cheers! Yeah km3, km8 and km9 all had pretty lengthy uphill sections.

I know on Strava you can set a 'privacy' section so that it doesn't show the exact start and end position.

Edited by Gaz

A pretty fast five miles tonight. Splits:

2. 4:49
3. 4:43
4. 4:40
5. 4:22
6. 4:53*
7. 4:41
8. 4:42

*I got attacked by a stupid wee barky dug that a woman didn't have on a lead!

On 03/03/2019 at 19:13, morrison said:

I used to use a running belt something like this.  I run with this one now, using the pouch for three gels and putting the rest into one of the bottles.  It's much less fiddly that way.  The other bottle starts with water in it, and I top it up at water stations when I'm running low.  Keeps me out of the chaos that can be the scramble for hydration!

I don't bother with anything on training runs - I think it's useful to get your body used to having to cope with what it's got - but I wouldn't change my strategy for the marathon now.  That said, might not work for you (just to cover myself)!

I have ordered the one you use now from Amazon (using vouchers from doing surveys so it's cost me nothing!) so will get some practice with that and see how it works. Might end up using it without the bottles if it's too bulky or heavy.

On 14/03/2019 at 23:11, Gaz said:

Another five miles tonight. 4'57"/km pace, could have probably pushed it a bit more but legs still a bit sore from yesterday's run and squats last night.

Been 30 years since i ran.

Wouln't recommend doing squats, imo you don't need too.

Just run.

Did 7 miles last night.

Had a bit of a rest week last week (still running/working out plenty but generally taking it a bit easier) as was feeling pretty fatigued on my runs both physically and mentally.

Seems to have helped as average pace was 7:30 which is about 40 seconds per mile faster than my previous best on that run.

8 hours ago, sureiknow said:

Been 30 years since i ran.

Wouln't recommend doing squats, imo you don't need too.

Just run.

Nae bother, m8

Had 8 days away from any running due to work and some kind of horrible virus where I was utterly fucked for days my whole body was aching.

Anyway went for a wee recovery run to ease back into it this afternoon.  Ended up fucking flying out the blocks (well for me anyway) did 5k knocking  90 seconds off my personal best in the process 30:05 which I was amazed with. 

Had 8 days away from any running due to work and some kind of horrible virus where I was utterly fucked for days my whole body was aching.
Anyway went for a wee recovery run to ease back into it this afternoon.  Ended up fucking flying out the blocks (well for me anyway) did 5k knocking  90 seconds off my personal best in the process 30:05 which I was amazed with. 

Well done mate. Next objective will be breaking 30 minutes

Got told tonight by someone who has been running for years and won plenty of age group categories that there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a pint the night before a marathon. Guessing that applies for other races too.

Makes no difference to me as I don't drink (maybe I should start based on this) but thought I'd pass on the advice as I'm sure some folk on here will be pleased to hear it.

First Köln Parkrun this morning! Despite bolting twice for a tram, got there on time. 69 runners for the first time, great number.

Hilly route though, two times round this large park that is essentially two hills and a large duck pond.

Hit a lifetime PB of 23:19 and came in 17th. Buzzing since!

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

First Köln Parkrun this morning! Despite bolting twice for a tram, got there on time. 69 runners for the first time, great number.

Hilly route though, two times round this large park that is essentially two hills and a large duck pond.

Hit a lifetime PB of 23:19 and came in 17th. Buzzing since!

Nice work Stella! Sounds like a nice run. 

I was at Pollok today. Managed to smash my Pollok PB which was pleasing. There were signs up asking for volunteers to help with a new Parkrun ... there was someone's email address to contact to see if anyone wanted to help but I didn't have my phone / pen etc. Does anyone know where this new parkrun is scheduled to be?