P&b Running Club

14 minutes ago, eddiemunster said:

I did most of my long runs along the canal from Auchinstarry. It's far more than 11 miles to Clydebank, closer to 18 I would estimate.

I've done Auchinstarry to Anniesland, then down to the Clyde and back to Queen Street Station for the train back to Croy and that was pushing 18 I'm sure.

I just remember going through Maryhill Locks, cracking on a bit further past a canalside pub and then turning back at a bridge a bit further along the path. Maybe I saw a sign telling me Clydebank wasn't too far. That's probably why I decided to turn back tbh rather than Runkeeper telling me I'd hit 11 miles. 

The problem with running 18 miles in one direction is that you're then 18 miles away from home and need to faff about with trains etc when you're probably absolutely done in. So I did 9 miles until I roughly hit the M90, then back again. Obviously you're still seeing the same scenery twice, but it's probably one of the nicest places to run ... some bits you're in wide open spaces, other times you're in the forest. Running past wee country pubs and nice looking villages. And it's completely flat. In fact, if it wasn't for the b*****d wasps, I'd say it would have been perfect. 

Guest bernardblack

How far would everyone run in prep for a marathon?

Couple of training plans I’ve seen have 20miles down as the furthest, but would 17/18 suffice?

I’ve typically only ever done half marathons and like to get 10miles completed in the run up

How far would everyone run in prep for a marathon?

Couple of training plans I’ve seen have 20miles down as the furthest, but would 17/18 suffice?

I’ve typically only ever done half marathons and like to get 10miles completed in the run up

I’ve done 18 and I’ve been good. That may differ from Person to person but it was good for me.

Late to this but I've used the SIS gels a few times on long runs. Easy enough to open and taste isn't too bad - prefer the apple to the orange. If you look on Facebook hard enough you;ll probably find a discount code to get some.

I didn't really notice much difference but will need gels on the marathon itself so it's best to practice before then.

Had been getting back to doing decent mileage but now my knee has decided it's going to start playing up again. Seems to be an endless stream of issues at the moment!

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

After consideration. I've just ordered some gels so I can test out in training for the marathon. Thanks @DeeMan and @Cardinal Richelieu for the tips.

One more thing, I ordered a 'marathon pack', which came with a few different flavoured gels, electrolyte tablets (I think they're called) to make your own sports drinks to replace lost sodium during sweating and some other stuff that I can't remember. 

https://highfive.co.uk/product/trialpacks/high5-run-pack/

For what it's worth, Lidl have got packs of the SIS gels on offer at the moment. £6.99 for the performance pack and £8.99 for the running and cycling packs. 

Can't remember how much was in each one but fairly sure it worked out at less than a quid a gel.

The wallchart has been demolished just one 10k to go then I need to stretch the distance up to 7 or 8 miles and I also need to get used to running in hot weather for my wee race in May.

By the way has anyone here run across the forth road bridge? I'm up in July and fancy a bit of the fife coastal path as well.

20190227_123002.jpg

The wallchart has been demolished just one 10k to go then I need to stretch the distance up to 7 or 8 miles and I also need to get used to running in hot weather for my wee race in May.

By the way has anyone here run across the forth road bridge? I'm up in July and fancy a bit of the fife coastal path as well.
20190227_123002.thumb.jpg.5620f3053e41e00257034cafe5160115.jpg
I did a 10k race that goes across it (and back) and I've done it a couple of times in longer runs - it's much more of a hill than you'd think.

Went from a strong 18 mile run last weekend to a pishy 11 mile run today breathing out my arse.

Been running/going to gym 6 days a week for 2 months now so going to put it down to fatigue but am really quite grumpy about that this morning.

Re: marathon training, I'd say 20 is ideal for a first marathon. A lot of it is psychological & you could get away with going to 18. Depends on your goals/experience to that point.

Cardinal, you're mental doing your longest run the week before! Generally 2-3 weeks out is where the longer stuff stops & taper fun starts.

I use SIS gels, 6 per marathon. The other ones need water to wash them down, these ones don't. They're a bit sickly by the 5th/6th but they've served me well. Definitely to be tested in training to see what your stomach thinks of them first!

38 minutes ago, morrison said:

Re: marathon training, I'd say 20 is ideal for a first marathon. A lot of it is psychological & you could get away with going to 18. Depends on your goals/experience to that point.

Cardinal, you're mental doing your longest run the week before! Generally 2-3 weeks out is where the longer stuff stops & taper fun starts.

I use SIS gels, 6 per marathon. The other ones need water to wash them down, these ones don't. They're a bit sickly by the 5th/6th but they've served me well. Definitely to be tested in training to see what your stomach thinks of them first!

Do you keep gels in yor pocket during a marathon or do you have a bag or pack of some sort? Wondering if I need to get one of those.

Went to see the physio on Thursday about my knee who helpfully told me he knew what the problem was but couldn't do anything about. Got a bit worried when he showed me the issue on a skeleton model and started mentioning cartilage and ligaments but thankfully he just told me to keep icing it and it might be OK within a week.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Do you keep gels in yor pocket during a marathon or do you have a bag or pack of some sort? Wondering if I need to get one of those.

I used to use a running belt something like this.  I run with this one now, using the pouch for three gels and putting the rest into one of the bottles.  It's much less fiddly that way.  The other bottle starts with water in it, and I top it up at water stations when I'm running low.  Keeps me out of the chaos that can be the scramble for hydration!

I don't bother with anything on training runs - I think it's useful to get your body used to having to cope with what it's got - but I wouldn't change my strategy for the marathon now.  That said, might not work for you (just to cover myself)!

I agree with Morrison's marathon strategy for the gels. I take six, have one every five miles whether I feel like it or not (with an extra one just in case I need it at the back end). The trick is not to wait till you feel shite, because by then it's usually too late.

I wear a wee running belt with loops for holding the gels. I also keep a wee stash of electrolyte tabs, which I add at every second water station. I don't tan a bottle and throw it away, instead I drop a tablet in and sip it as I run. If I guzzle water I only end up needing a pish within half an hour.

Definitely try the gels and tablets during training to ensure they agree with you. I have ulcerative colitis so they don't actually do me any favours, but I am usually on the imodium train for a marathon anyway.

Got another solid half into the legs today, feeling the fitness picking up slightly which is encouraging.

Edited by eddiemunster

2 hours ago, morrison said:

I used to use a running belt something like this.  I run with this one now, using the pouch for three gels and putting the rest into one of the bottles.  It's much less fiddly that way.  The other bottle starts with water in it, and I top it up at water stations when I'm running low.  Keeps me out of the chaos that can be the scramble for hydration!

I don't bother with anything on training runs - I think it's useful to get your body used to having to cope with what it's got - but I wouldn't change my strategy for the marathon now.  That said, might not work for you (just to cover myself)!

Grand, will check those out and hopefully get a chance to try them before the day (if my body starts behaving itself).