P&b Running Club

1 hour ago, BigBo10 said:

Yes. It’s always best to have a jobby before your run apparently. A doctor mate explained it to me years ago when I was training for a marathon but the crux of it is you shake the jobby about and it wants out. I’d guess when you got home you had to drop the kids at the swimming pretty quickly.

Thing is I *did* go before my run, but obviously there must have been more up there...

And, yes, I ran straight into the house and on to the toilet where the rest came out about 5 times faster than I'd been running.

Just been told by the physio I need to change my trainers and get support ones as opposed to neutral. My right foot is pulling in apparently. Adidas ultra boost or ASICS we’re my previous brands but I don’t like the fit of either now they’re getting too loose as I have narrow feet. Any recommendations?

Depending on where you live, try and find a run4it shop. They’ll get you to do a light jog on the treadmill and they’ll film it etc to get the right type of trainer for you.

I thought it might be a bit of a gimmick but it’s actually really good, the trainers I’m on now are 100x better than the off the shelf Nike’s I previously had.

Pre run Shite is a must, especially for those parkrun or events when you're not heading straight home on your actual run.

This might sound weird but even the attempt of doing it can help, if you don't think you actually need to.
Tricking your body into thinking you've done it

On 30/01/2019 at 13:10, Cardinal Richelieu said:

What happened to weeks 8 and 9? :lol:

Not sure if I'm being whooshed but the final week is 10k week rather than week 10.

Anyone got any suggestions for any tips for gym workouts? Can't run at the moment (although going to try the treadmill tomorrow) so have been spending an hour at a time on the elliptical. No idea if it's doing me any good but it can't be doing me much harm.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed up for my first half marathon around a month ago & since then been slowly but surely building up my runs every few days, going from complete beginner to around 4 miles. Had to stop a couple times last week due to my calfs feeling tight and sore, did a bit of research and a few websites suggested getting some extra magnesium in the body in the form of pre-workout. All I can say is this stuff is like rocket fuel resulting in me jogging about for a good 45 minutes last night. Anyone else use supplements before/after a run?

Wee update on the plan to get to 10k, I'm on week 6 of 8 which should be 3 runs a 4k, 5k and then 9k at the end. I did the 4k fine then for various reasons didn't run for a full week which is the first time since I started this running caper, anyway did 5k/3.12 miles on Thursday in a brilliant time until i realised that i hadn't done the .12 at the end, baws.

Anyway last night went out for a slow deliberate run a minute or so slower per mile as I do when I'm trying to stretch distance, it felt good I rolled through the miles and got back to the end of the road having done the 9k/5.65 miles and it was just too tempting not to get the 10k so ran off round the streets again to get over the line 10k/6.2 miles were done in 1hour9 minutes which is slow as f**k but I don't care. I only just did it though my lungs were alright but I had a stitch on both sides and my legs were done.

I really needed it I've had an absolute c**t of a week and this has blown out the cobwebs and told it to GTF.

On 13/02/2019 at 13:58, WeveGotMcginn said:

Signed up for my first half marathon around a month ago & since then been slowly but surely building up my runs every few days, going from complete beginner to around 4 miles. Had to stop a couple times last week due to my calfs feeling tight and sore, did a bit of research and a few websites suggested getting some extra magnesium in the body in the form of pre-workout. All I can say is this stuff is like rocket fuel resulting in me jogging about for a good 45 minutes last night. Anyone else use supplements before/after a run?

Never thought of taking supplements, although I usually have a banana or two before a big race which contains a load of magnesium. Of course, one of the side-effects of bananas - on me anyway - is the overwhelming need to go for a shite... it's been discussed a bit earlier, but your shitting strategy is just as important as training and choosing a good pair of running shoes :lol:

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Just been told by the physio I need to change my trainers and get support ones as opposed to neutral. My right foot is pulling in apparently. Adidas ultra boost or ASICS we’re my previous brands but I don’t like the fit of either now they’re getting too loose as I have narrow feet. Any recommendations?
Mizuno Wave were recommended to me by run4it years ago. On my third pair of them now.

Training for London has been a nightmare lately. Had to stop for a sore foot, although could still go to the gym. That had just about cleared up when I got the flu and that lost me another 10 days so I've lost the best part of four weeks.

Managed to do 15 miles this morning - would have done a bit more but my legs were killing me. Happy with the distance but my pace is crap. At least a minute a mile off what I'd normally do - and it's not as if I was deliberately going slowly because it was a long run. I genuinely couldn't go any quicker.

Should be able to get round London but won't be near the time I was hoping for. Under four hours would be an achievement at the moment.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Training for London has been a nightmare lately. Had to stop for a sore foot, although could still go to the gym. That had just about cleared up when I got the flu and that lost me another 10 days so I've lost the best part of four weeks.

Managed to do 15 miles this morning - would have done a bit more but my legs were killing me. Happy with the distance but my pace is crap. At least a minute a mile off what I'd normally do - and it's not as if I was deliberately going slowly because it was a long run. I genuinely couldn't go any quicker.

Should be able to get round London but won't be near the time I was hoping for. Under four hours would be an achievement at the moment.

I've had a sore foot recently. When I woke of a morning, I could barely put any weight on it. My sister (a doctor) prescribed Ibuprofen. The next day I was gambolling around like a lamb ... of course, it's not the cure for every ill, but it definitely does reduce swelling etc. 

50 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've had a sore foot recently. When I woke of a morning, I could barely put any weight on it. My sister (a doctor) prescribed Ibuprofen. The next day I was gambolling around like a lamb ... of course, it's not the cure for every ill, but it definitely does reduce swelling etc. 

I've got ibuprofen gel I've been rubbing on it. It's sore but seems to be letting me run without getting worse so I'll take that for now, might see go and see someone about it if it doesn't settle down.

Decked it an absolute beauty 9.5 miles into a training half today. Split my knee, mashed my elbow and rattled my sizeable bonce off the pavement. Fortunately nobody around to see it, as must have looked brilliant as I went arse over tit twice.

Had to abandon the rest of the run and starting to feel sore all over now. Need to be getting the miles up for Edinburgh Marathon, so can't afford to be laid up for long.

I've heard it referred to amongst elite athletes as vitamin i, cyclists in particular apparently take huge doses of it before long races. Any time I've had any ailments that I'm adamant require surgery at the very least I've been 'fobbed off' with ibuprofen after a 10 second examination which has always worked absolute wonders much to my chagrin.

First half in ages today, held up not too bad and feel a lot better about preparing for Edinburgh over the next 12 weeks.

Keep adding little increments to the long run at the weekend and I should be close to where I need to be.

I had hoped to be well under 3:44:00 which is what I did Stirling in last year, but at this stage I need to be realistic and hope to sneak under that by even a wee bit.

3:30:00 will need to wait till next year.

Think I'm in the same boat - had thought I might sneak under 3:30 at London but my pace has gone after February was screwed by a foot injury then the flu - and I was told this was the month to get the bulk of your training done!

Still, have managed 50 miles this week including a long run of 17 miles today (aside from having to go back home after five minutes due to a toilet issue) and my pace per mile has dropped a bit so hopefully I'll be able to sneak under four hours.

This week has also taught me that treadmills are shite and very much a last resort.

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Think I'm in the same boat - had thought I might sneak under 3:30 at London but my pace has gone after February was screwed by a foot injury then the flu - and I was told this was the month to get the bulk of your training done!

Still, have managed 50 miles this week including a long run of 17 miles today (aside from having to go back home after five minutes due to a toilet issue) and my pace per mile has dropped a bit so hopefully I'll be able to sneak under four hours.

This week has also taught me that treadmills are shite and very much a last resort.

I wouldn't pin your hopes on a time at London even if you're at 100%. It's frustratingly slow at the start and bunches up a few times round the route.

I made the schoolboy error of taking very wide lines to avoid the majority of slower movers and ended up adding an extra mile into the thing.

The result was that my own timer had a great time for the marathon, but my official time was shite as my legs went due to the additional distance.

You'll probably only get to run it once, instead of being a slave to your watch, lift your head and take it all in. It really is quite spectacular.

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, eddiemunster said:

I wouldn't pin your hopes on a time at London even if you're at 100%. It's frustratingly slow at the start and bunches up a few times round the route.

I made the schoolboy error of taking very wide lines to avoid the majority of slower movers and ended up adding an extra mile into the thing.

The result was that my own timer had a great time for the marathon, but my official time was shite as my legs went due to the additional distance.

You'll probably only get to run it once, instead of being a slave to your watch, lift your head and take it all in. It really is quite spectacular.

Good luck.

Aye, to be honest I wasn't too fussed about a time (apart from getting round in under four hours) until folk at the running club started putting ideas in my head. 

After the last month my aim is just to get round and at some point I'd probably go for a time in a quieter marathon with a bit less hype and hassle surrounding it.

London was my first marathon and I wanted to get round under 4 hours too. Finished up 4:01:25 which was frustrating to say the least.

I slowed down to take a selfie with this dude who was dressed as Jesus, carrying a cross and running barefoot.

There's a lesson about blasphemy in there I think.