P&b Running Club

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Anyone done the Vogrie Parkrun in Edinburgh? I'm going to be through there this Saturday and was thinking of giving it a shot. However, I'm bringing a newbie, and if it's going to be covered in mud - I don't think that'll be a great introduction! Therefore, given that it's not been THAT wet recently, do you think it should be okay for a run without trail shoes / without ending up looking like you've just done a Tough Mudder?

Most of the paths through Vogrie are under thick tree cover so they're usually in pretty good nick. Describing it as in Edinburgh is a bit of a stretch! 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Most of the paths through Vogrie are under thick tree cover so they're usually in pretty good nick. Describing it as in Edinburgh is a bit of a stretch! 

Cheers Shandy (hope you don't mind that nickname!) ... true it's not really in Edinburgh though! I saw a video on FB of someone running it and it looked a bit muddy but obviously I don't know whether it had been raining a lot recently. 

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers Shandy (hope you don't mind that nickname!) ... true it's not really in Edinburgh though! I saw a video on FB of someone running it and it looked a bit muddy but obviously I don't know whether it had been raining a lot recently. 

Used to take my kid there all the time and it' a really nice place. Big country estate. I had a look online at the route and like you say, with the lack of rain hopefully it would be okay. Probably  two thirds of the trails are usually quite dry as totally covered by trees, bits across grass and a few roads/trails. Your newbie should be fine in trainers or a good pair of Hunters. I take no liability if you both end up neck deep in mud! 

On 02/01/2019 at 19:45, bernardblack said:

I’d really interested in a marathon plan too. Doing Edinburgh in May (hopefully) and can usually train for a half marathon in a couple of months, so thinking I’ve got enough time?

I've still not got a training plan and probably won't have one set in stone, however here's some bits and bobs of advice I've been given in the past few days from some of the serious runners in the club:

Don't have it set in stone that you have to do x miles one day and y miles another day and you can't deviate. If the weather is pish one day, do less and then make it up another.

Build up to about 50 miles a week (that might just be specific to me as I'm at about 40ish just now).

Only have at most two hard runs a week at race pace. A race such as a half marathon, 10k etc can count as one.

For your weekly long run go at a gentle pace - apparently I'm going too fast as I'm battering them in at 7.30s which is what I always run at unless it's a race! It was hard trying to do 8minute plus yesterday, although as another bit of advice I had was to run four miles in the middle at fast pace it was quite easy to slow down for the end.

The week of the race only do 40 miles - 26 of which is the marathon itself.

Your last long run should be about 40 weeks before the race, then start to taper off.

Think that's about it. Been given so much and some of it contradicts that it may not help!

After doing literally nothing over the past 6 weeks, I went for a 12 mile run on the treadmill at work having not run that distance for a considerable time.  following day I tried a light jog and my fight shin was in agony, so think I've now got shin splints.  Left it a few days and went again for a jog but slight pain is still there.  How long am I looking at resting it before I can get back into it?

Edited by MONKMAN

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

After doing literally nothing over the past 6 weeks, I went for a 12 mile run on the treadmill at work having not run that distance for a considerable time.  following day I tried a light jog and my fight shin was in agony, so think I've now got shin splints.  Left it a few days and went again for a job but slight pain is still there.  How long am I looking at resting it before I can get back into it?

Probably 2-3 weeks,  sometimes calf supports can help a little bit.

On 1/14/2019 at 21:16, Stu said:

I've still not got a training plan and probably won't have one set in stone, however here's some bits and bobs of advice I've been given in the past few days from some of the serious runners in the club:

Don't have it set in stone that you have to do x miles one day and y miles another day and you can't deviate. If the weather is pish one day, do less and then make it up another.

Build up to about 50 miles a week (that might just be specific to me as I'm at about 40ish just now).

Only have at most two hard runs a week at race pace. A race such as a half marathon, 10k etc can count as one.

For your weekly long run go at a gentle pace - apparently I'm going too fast as I'm battering them in at 7.30s which is what I always run at unless it's a race! It was hard trying to do 8minute plus yesterday, although as another bit of advice I had was to run four miles in the middle at fast pace it was quite easy to slow down for the end.

The week of the race only do 40 miles - 26 of which is the marathon itself.

Your last long run should be about 40 weeks before the race, then start to taper off.

Think that's about it. Been given so much and some of it contradicts that it may not help!

Was expecting an edit here Stu.

4 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Probably 2-3 weeks,  sometimes calf supports can help a little bit.

4 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I'll rest it up for a couple of weeks and ease myself back in gradually.  

I used to always get calf muscle strains/tears from running so could never go more than a couple of weeks without getting injured then having to lay off running for a couple of weeks. Running tights and/or compression/football-type socks put a total stop to the injuries. May be total coincidence but such a simple thing seems to have made a total transformation. Plus you get to look pretty dandy. 

I had problems with shin splints or something similar and the compression socks definitely helped - even from helping me mentally if not actually doing anything. I only wear one now as it was only one leg I was having a problem with and it was doing more harm than good on the other one.

Halfway through the 5k to 10k plan, I've chucked in a few extra shorter runs here and there when times been tight just to keep my hand in so to speak.

Really enjoy the longer stretched runs and now up to 5 miles which was laughable when I started running in October. Also I've knocked 2 minutes off my 5k time.

The wall chart is taking a hiding.20190129_215357.thumb.jpg.e06c2be865d619436d046712aaa5f65a.jpg

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Halfway through the 5k to 10k plan, I've chucked in a few extra shorter runs here and there when times been tight just to keep my hand in so to speak.

Really enjoy the longer stretched runs and now up to 5 miles which was laughable when I started running in October. Also I've knocked 2 minutes off my 5k time.

The wall chart is taking a hiding.20190129_215357.thumb.jpg.e06c2be865d619436d046712aaa5f65a.jpg

What happened to weeks 8 and 9? :lol:

Just been told by the physio I need to change my trainers and get support ones as opposed to neutral. My right foot is pulling in apparently. Adidas ultra boost or ASICS we’re my previous brands but I don’t like the fit of either now they’re getting too loose as I have narrow feet. Any recommendations?

Went out for a fairly hard 11 mile run today and while I was happy with the pace, I had pretty severe bowel cramps towards the end.  Anyone else ever get that shit?  [pun intended]

Yes. It’s always best to have a jobby before your run apparently. A doctor mate explained it to me years ago when I was training for a marathon but the crux of it is you shake the jobby about and it wants out. I’d guess when you got home you had to drop the kids at the swimming pretty quickly.