P&b Running Club

It's like all these things really. You can spend a fortune but chances are there's cheaper ones that'll be fine. I got Brooks ones for Christmas which were fairly expensive, but I do a lot of running and get a lot of use out of them - plus I wasn't paying for them. I'd kinda hoped when I did that a few years ago I could just buy Brooks in the same size for a much cheaper price online but sadly I have silly feet and it didn't seem to work like that.

www.sportsshoes.com usually have good deals on and their returns policy is pretty decent too ( I speak from experience on that one).

Edited by Stu

In terms of shoes get your gait checked at a proper running store they will advise you on what you need. Decent running trainers are about £100 That said find a pair that are suitable and shop around for older versions that will be reduced but are basically the same and can be had a lot cheaper.

On 06/12/2018 at 07:36, Stellaboz said:

Looking at March hopefully for the opening of the Cologne Parkrun. We have 3 routes in mind, hoping mine gets the push!

Will that be in the German or French side? French parkruns are interesting because if you look at the results, they are not "placed" ... i.e. everyones' times are listed but that's it. This is likely to get round the problem of the French government insisting that every runner in a race has a doctor's note to say they are fit to run (I had to go through that palaver last year before I did the Millau Viaduct race)...

Speaking of foreign parkruns, I was in Canada over Xmas and so tried one of their parkruns. Exactly the same set up as in the UK really, except the numbers ... 19 people showed up which was above average. They explained to me that they struggle to find places that will them run for free - most municipal parks demand payment ... indeed, the one I did was inaccessible to anybody who didn't have a motor. 

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

First parkrun today since I did sligo in the summer. 20.40 is far from my best time but it's a new route at the moment due to works in the park so I'm blaming the two extra massive hills for that!

Was that Pollok? I was there today (although not achieving times anything like that!) ... I don't think the slightly steeper hills make much of a difference ... the start where everyone is moving around like a herd of cattle is the bigger problem!

Was that Pollok? I was there today (although not achieving times anything like that!) ... I don't think the slightly steeper hills make much of a difference ... the start where everyone is moving around like a herd of cattle is the bigger problem!
Yeah, Pollok. Start is a nightmare. Just too many runners for that race. Another southside parkrun would be nice.

28 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:
31 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Yeah, Pollok. Start is a nightmare. Just too many runners for that race. Another southside parkrun would be nice.

It would, but I can't think where it could be. Queens Park and Linn Park aren't really suitable. There is always Bellahouston, but it's only a stone's throw away from Pollok, so not sure you could justify another parkrun just so some runners can take a minute off their times!

It would, but I can't think where it could be. Queens Park and Linn Park aren't really suitable. There is always Bellahouston, but it's only a stone's throw away from Pollok, so not sure you could justify another parkrun just so some runners can take a minute off their times!
Rouken Glen is my dream! Two minute walk for me. Already got an established 5k route and far enough away from Pollok to justify it.

They already have a junior one there on a Sunday too so I might pitch it....

my Mrs has started couch to 5k which is win win as I get extra perving at some running leggings (milf thread for this pish) and she gets fit.  We can hopefully do some runs together in the future but at the minute one of us has to look after the kids and were at drastically different stages.

Did laugh though she dug out this pair of ancient nike airs from the drawer that she figures haven't been worn for 12 years and they're completely perished to the point the air bubbles have exploded and the soles are hanging off.

Anyone done the Vogrie Parkrun in Edinburgh? I'm going to be through there this Saturday and was thinking of giving it a shot. However, I'm bringing a newbie, and if it's going to be covered in mud - I don't think that'll be a great introduction! Therefore, given that it's not been THAT wet recently, do you think it should be okay for a run without trail shoes / without ending up looking like you've just done a Tough Mudder?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu