P&b Running Club

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Think I've pulled a muscle in my backside again - similar to what put me out for about a month in the summer although the initial pain obviously isn't quite as bad as I can at least walk about without any problems!

Any advice for ways to speed up the recovery time? Might try to get a foam roller and have ibuprofen gel to rub in. I know folk will suggest RICE but I'm intrigued as to how I'm meant to elevate my bum! 

If you've got an ice pack (or just use frozen peas, obviously), try to ice it 15 mins every hour as long as you can.

23 minutes ago, Reina said:

If you've got an ice pack (or just use frozen peas, obviously), try to ice it 15 mins every hour as long as you can.

Yeah will try to do that - although they might frown on that at work...

Just entered the Balmoral 10k. Not been running that much at all since the Scottish Half but I need something to train towards. Want to break 50 minutes and if I can do it here I can smash flatter 10ks hopefully.

Anyone else doing this?

Guys help a brer out. Don't read down if yer eating.

I've never really had problems when running but the other week I got a c**t of a blister that ballooned up on my big toe, it was excruciating and I could barely walk. I'm guessing it might be the shoes or the socks, but they are made for running and comfortable, so I wasn't too quick to dismiss them.

I rested up for about a week, grudgingly, despite the temptation just to burst the blister, I just used cream and it was worn well down after about 3-4 days. I then though had a load of dead skin on my toe which was coming apart a bit but just lingering, so I tore it off. I then went a run 2 nights ago and I could feel a bit of pain by the end (quite a hilly 6km run) and then when I took my sock off, in the area where I'd taken the dead skin it was all red, as if it had been bleeding inside by it hadn't obviously come out. Two days later its still the same shade of red near enough, but seems to be blackening a little and still a bit uncomfortable. I'm getting junkie withdrawal symptoms and want to go back out, but I also want a solution to this that doesn't cause future issues or pain.

Embdy got any suggestions as to what it is and how it may be treated?

Reina - cracking run by the wee man, and paced like a pro!

Stellaboz - quite a few clubmates are planning Balmoral, can imagine it'll be a great setting

Socks - are you still involved with your club much? I'd find it difficult when I couldn't join in!

I was at Vogrie parkrun today. Really enjoyable course, mostly on much better trail than I was expecting and a good bit wider. I'll try venturing out in the summer again when the miniture train's in operation!

Good to hear everybody getting into the swing for running season, empathise with those toiling a bit with injuries at the moment.

Weeks of running in the cold and rain has led to my immune system taking a tanking and my ulcerative colitis kicking in like f**k.

Beyond frustrating with only 5 weeks till London. Had a couple of weeks out, no change, so dosing myself up with imodium and trying my best. Had to run the last five miles home holding a shite in on Wednesday, the good news being I could hold it in, but doesn't bode well for the full 26.

First long run tomorrow, deliberately heading somewhere with plenty tree cover incase of a toalie based emergency. Wish me luck troops.

Alloa Half Marathon for me this morning. Conditions were far from easy with a 5 mile straight run into the win, but for once I was actually sensible with pacing and kept enough in the tank to take the 11th mile hill comfortably and push on for the last two miles.

1:32:29 which is 21 seconds quicker than the same course last year. Happy with that.

I too did Alloa half marathon today for what was the first time I had run anything over 8 miles. I got caught in the excitement at the start and went off way too quick, meaning I struggled from the 8th mile onwards. Still managed a time of 1.52.22 which I was chuffed with. Rubbed half my nipples off though, I didn't realise that was an issue!

Anybody familiar with Edinburgh able to advise if a run up Arthur's Seat (fnarr) and back is doable in an hour or so if staying near Haymarket? Route seems straightforward enough but a bit of local knowledge would be appreciated.

Since I saw it in T2 I just fancy the run.