P&b Running Club

Eight miles in 1:14:45 today. Longest run I've had yet in preparation for the Glasgow half and on a route that's likely to be similar in terms of rises and falls as Glasgow. Felt good at the end and I think extrapolating out id be looking at about 2:02 for the HM. Hoping to get under two hours in Glasgow but I'll need to sharpen up a little bit to get that I think!

I was helping with the Forth Road Bridge 10k today and we were lucky to get a great day for it - had it been last weekend I think we'd have had to cancel due to the wind. It's good to do these things to appreciate just how much work someone has to put in for any race to come off well, and I really enjoyed getting along to get the atmosphere of a proper race again. I'm particularly happy that the cakes I baked last night were gone completely by the time I got back to the hall! Anyone here get a place and run in that today?

Any chances of a marathon PB at Chester are down the toilet though, which is a bit of a bugger. Oh well.

I ran the Chester Marathon last year and i'm fairly certain you'll have a blast regardless of your time. The atmosphere on the day is fantastic.

After a 2 week holiday I'm getting right back into it. Got a 5k PB at Linwood Parkrun on Saturday at 21:39. Next up is Paisley 10k on Sunday which I'm hoping for around 46 minutes.

My next big one is Glasgow on 2nd October. Do I try and up the game to my 1st half marathon or stick to 10k? I've looked at joining some training plans late on and they don't seem to crazy compared to what I'm doing. If I go for the half marathon and some sort of training plan then it will be the first time I've tried the interval running. Any tips for it? Just seems like a strange concept in my head. Sure it'll be ok after a couple of go's.

I think I've convinced myself about the Glasgow half just typing this out..... Now for a target time!

On 8/14/2016 at 16:40, Jamie_Beatson said:

Eight miles in 1:14:45 today. Longest run I've had yet in preparation for the Glasgow half and on a route that's likely to be similar in terms of rises and falls as Glasgow. Felt good at the end and I think extrapolating out id be looking at about 2:02 for the HM. Hoping to get under two hours in Glasgow but I'll need to sharpen up a little bit to get that I think!

Your first half? I assume you've ran a 10k, did you adjust your pace for the half? by how much?

Anyone doing Paisley 10k on Sunday?

I'm just coming back from injury (possibly was shin splints, never got it diagnosed properly, but legs feeling OK now). I managed to pick up a number from someone in the club who can't make it. Won't be able to chase a pb, but looking forward to it. Ran this 2 years ago as a running n00b in 48.30, should knock 5 mins off that even in my current state. And if it's a disaster, it's not down as my name!!

I wasn't going to run it but am now thinking about it. My main worry is getting there and back - parking will be a nightmare and I'm a two mile walk each way. Not sure I can be bothered with the hassle, especially with Dumfries 10k the following week (which will have about 10 per cent of the entries).

If you run the Paisley 10k in a Saints shirt and beat our chairman's time you get a free ticket. What an incentive for you ;)

Speaking of incentives, does anyone use Running Heroes? Keeps popping up on my Facebook but am a bit wary of it. Was wondering what, if any, experience folk had had of it: https://uk.runningheroes.com/

Edited by Stu

On 14/08/2016 at 23:13, ArabGaz said:

I ran the Chester Marathon last year and i'm fairly certain you'll have a blast regardless of your time. The atmosphere on the day is fantastic.

Good to hear!  How did you find the course?  The profile looks mildly undulating to fairly flat (from memory).

On 16/08/2016 at 12:10, serbo99 said:

My next big one is Glasgow on 2nd October. Do I try and up the game to my 1st half marathon or stick to 10k? I've looked at joining some training plans late on and they don't seem to crazy compared to what I'm doing. If I go for the half marathon and some sort of training plan then it will be the first time I've tried the interval running. Any tips for it? Just seems like a strange concept in my head. Sure it'll be ok after a couple of go's.

I think I've convinced myself about the Glasgow half just typing this out..... Now for a target time!

I was going to try and talk you into the half, but I see you've already done that!  Nice one.  Personally I'd be - after this weekend, and good luck in Paisley - looking at four weekends of slow longer runs from 8-11 miles so you're building up the distance and stamina, then cut it right back (5-6 miles) the last weekend in September.  Still keep the quicker stuff in there, be it parkruns or whatever else during the week.  Oh, and be kind to yourself with your target - it's your first, so a guaranteed PB either way ;)

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Speaking of incentives, does anyone use Running Heroes? Keeps popping up on my Facebook but am a bit wary of it. Was wondering what, if any, experience folk had had of it: https://uk.runningheroes.com/

The guys that run it were on the MarathonTalk podcast a few months ago.  They sounded fairly decent and it seems genuine enough, but I have to confess I never got round to signing up.  Might well take a proper look later on.

23 hours ago, Stu said:

I wasn't going to run it but am now thinking about it. My main worry is getting there and back - parking will be a nightmare and I'm a two mile walk each way. Not sure I can be bothered with the hassle, especially with Dumfries 10k the following week (which will have about 10 per cent of the entries).

If you run the Paisley 10k in a Saints shirt and beat our chairman's time you get a free ticket. What an incentive for you ;)

I'll be running in my Morton shorts and Greenock Glenpark vest!

The worst thing isn't having to look at St Mirren's ground on the way round, it's the big billboard of Mark Yardley across from it advertising his pies....

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 19:05, morrison said:

Good to hear!  How did you find the course?  The profile looks mildly undulating to fairly flat (from memory).

It is supposed to be a flat, quick course but to be honest I found it to be a wee bit hillier than I was expecting. If my memory is correct there is a wee brute of a hill round about the 15/16 mile mark just as you cross the Wales - England border. It's not long but it is steep and it was one of those climbs that can sap your legs for a minute or two. Fortunately the ascent is in a village with crowds so you'll hopefully be able to feed off them. Also, right near the end (maybe 23 miles in) there is a long, drag up a street in Chester. It's not steep but at that stage it was enough to make my have a little cry to myself.

The last mile and a bit running along the river and then back into the racecourse is magic though. Kind of wish I was going again just for the finish.

Edited by ArabGaz

23 hours ago, tigerton said:

The worst thing isn't having to look at St Mirren's ground on the way round, it's the big billboard of Mark Yardley across from it advertising his pies....

I can see that being annoying in the same way I found passing the beer garden while running on a glorious Monday night annoying!

Not going to do it, will do Dumfries next week and hopefully the half marathon in September. Hoping to go to Linwood parkrun tomorrow.

On 8/12/2016 at 14:46, VladimirMooc said:

After doing my first half back in May, I've signed up to do the Glasgow half in October. Really wanting to get under 1.45 (I got 1.53 in May) and so have been going to Parkun over the past 6 or so weeks in order to improve my speed. Have got my 5k down from 22.40 to 21.06, so the speed is improving (mainly through willpower, I think) but I'm wanting to go a good chunk faster. Anyone got any recommendations as to how to go about doing this? There's lots of tips online but the expertise in this thread seems pretty top-notch so hoping to tap into it!

One session we do with our Junior athletes on the track would translate well for 5Km times. First work out how fast you want to be covering 400m in your run, so if you are targeting a 20 minute 5Km you would be doing 400m in about 95 seconds,  then take a little bit away from that at around 10% so that would give you about 85 seconds (can vary depending how you find it). Use this time as a lap time and use it for interval training to do about 5 x 400m runs with a rest in between each rep (about 3 minutes is OK), after the 5th take a longer break and then repeat to give you 10 laps in total, you want to be aiming to complete each lap in the same time or as close to as you can. Make sure you have a good warm up first and if you repeat the session you can reduce the time you are looking to do each lap in.

Edited by NewBlue

On 18 August 2016 at 13:22, tigerton said:

I can confirm the advertising board is no longer there!

Enjoyed Linwood parkrun this morning. Course is as flat as anything, Strava barely registered an elevation change. Went off too fast, forgetting I'd run 12 miles yesterday, but finished in 22:13 which was 20th out of 89 and enough for 2nd in my age group (first was 2-3 minutes faster!). Quite narrow which made passing the guy with the pram an early priority.

Really enjoyed Livingston parkrun this morning. Good challenging course, not one for a pb. But I like the final 1km as you can judge how hard to run. 20.37 was good enough to get me 11th out of over 200, which is quite surprising. I think I could have went faster though with more course knowledge.

Good friendly volunteers as expected.

My legs are going to struggle round this 10k tomorrow, but I knew Im not in good enough shape for a good 10k just now anyway. Just try and enjoy it.

Really enjoyed Livingston parkrun this morning. Good challenging course, not one for a pb. But I like the final 1km as you can judge how hard to run. 20.37 was good enough to get me 11th out of over 200, which is quite surprising. I think I could have went faster though with more course knowledge.

Good friendly volunteers as expected.

My legs are going to struggle round this 10k tomorrow, but I knew Im not in good enough shape for a good 10k just now anyway. Just try and enjoy it.

You obviously have high standards. That's some time!

Enjoyed Linwood parkrun this morning. Course is as flat as anything, Strava barely registered an elevation change. Went off too fast, forgetting I'd run 12 miles yesterday, but finished in 22:13 which was 20th out of 89 and enough for 2nd in my age group (first was 2-3 minutes faster!). Quite narrow which made passing the guy with the pram an early priority.

Haha guy with the pram is very hard to pass at some bits. Luckily he beat me last week...

I found Paisley 10k quite tough this morning. Set off far too fast and near the front for my current level of fitness. Finished fairly strongly to get under 44, which was the goal. Enjoyed it though, good course.

Edited by tigerton