P&b Running Club

Set a target of 30 miles for the week and got it today, was going to do the parkrun this morning but just did the 6.5 I had left to do, wasn't too fussed on pace just went for distance....possibly doing the Lisburn HM in mid June so will start properly preparing for it now, was dissapointed with the HM I did in March so looking a big improvement this time.

Part of the course is on a fast and fairly busy road, so personally I wouldn't have used headphones even before that email came out.

Tomorrow'll be my first attempt at the LLHM. People have been telling me this week that you have to run through swarms of flies (contrasting reports as to whether they are mayflies or midges, or both), and someone suggested wearing tights over your head to keep them out of your eyes and mouth.  But hey, a bit of protein can't do any harm!

Well, I survived the beasties, the heat and the vertical hill coming out of Scotlandwell. Running without music was a bit weird (who thought 600 pairs of feet on the tarmac could make so much noise?). I even got chatting to a nice chap who supported Raith Rovers, so that helped me pace myself. Still prefer running with music, but I won't throw my toys out the pram next time I'm told I'm not allowed to.

My official time was 1:50:00, although my phone said it was about 30 seconds quicker. In the list of results, all the runners seem to have a "time from previous leg", which appears to be the time it took for them to cross the starting line (i.e. the fastest runners had 0 or 1 seconds, whereas the slowest runners were 30 seconds or more)... but if this is the case, surely the time should be taken off the final taken, not added on?

Or am I just being a bit thick?

I was a wee bit confused by that as well (I had a place but had to let someone run as 'me'). All it is though is that the main time listed (the slower one) is the gun time and one shown as 'finish' in the table is your actual (chip) time.

In big races like EMF half or marathon your official time is the chip time, but it's normal in smaller races to have the results ordered by gun time with the chip time given as an extra.

I was fizzing when I set my HM pb at the GSR as they gave me my gun time rather than chip time. Which has added 12 seconds officially to my pb. Everyone else that finished around me got their chip time as well.

Punched a massive hole in the 10k PB at Baker this morning in near-ideal conditions .

51.16, only slightly annoying thing is that Strava seems incapable of uploading the run properly. Was very near the limit throughout but almost felt like sub-50 wasn't too far away....

Hope everyone else has been running well this weekend :)

Edited by Scorge

Great running by the racers this week!

Course PB at Portobello parkrun for me, 18:44 mainly because of a strong finish to stay ahead of two people behind me! Got out for 8 miles this morning, with the middle 3 miles at my target pace for the Edinburgh half in a fortnight.

Probably the last two hard runs I'll do before the half as well (well, maybe parkrun next week!)

Another parkrun birthday race yesterday, this time Springburn, and exactly the same result as last week - another 1 second course pb!

Got round in 17'51" - just 10 secs outside 5k pb (on a flatter course) to finish in 4th place. Quite pleased with that.

Next up is the Clydebank 10k on Thursday night.

Edited by BishyTON

Another parkrun birthday race yesterday, this time Springburn, and exactly the same result as last week - another 1 second course pb!

Got round in 17'51" - just 10 secs outside 5k pb (on a flatter course) to finish in 4th place. Quite pleased with that.

Next up is the Clydebank 10k on Thursday night.

Greenock's 2nd birthday this Saturday if that's your thing!

I'm hoping for a toilet stop free run at Clydebank 10k this Thursday, heard it's a fast route?

Greenock's 2nd birthday this Saturday if that's your thing!

I'm hoping for a toilet stop free run at Clydebank 10k this Thursday, heard it's a fast route?

I know mate - considering doing it depending how the legs are after Clydebank.

Clydebank is fast for sure. Very, very little undulation.

Did a slow ten miles today - 1:49 which is kind of what I was expecting.  I have had a rotten cold and didn't run from Tuesday until Sunday, when I forced myself to do a 10km.  I felt pretty bad at the start of the run today and had to have a handful of jelly beans as I was feeling shaky but I felt like I got stronger as I went on.  

I was hoping to beat my personal best on the Edinburgh half (2:15) but after having the cold I'll be happy to finish it to be honest.  My time today was pretty slow but it was a slow run and I had to stop at a couple of points to cross narrow bridges etc.

Really looking forward to Edinburgh half next weekend. Can't come soon enough - been flying in training and regularly going under 7 mins a mile - the massive hills in training reaping rewards now. Will be disappointed if I don't get under 90mins (93 is my PB) - some ask but looks do able on the course. Is it really as swift as it looks - I'm guessing depends on headwind.

Really looking forward to Edinburgh half next weekend. Can't come soon enough - been flying in training and regularly going under 7 mins a mile - the massive hills in training reaping rewards now. Will be disappointed if I don't get under 90mins (93 is my PB) - some ask but looks do able on the course. Is it really as swift as it looks - I'm guessing depends on headwind.

Certainly sounds like you're there mentally - go for it and good luck dude.

Car failed its MOT yesterday so I decided to run home. A distance of 15.06km. When I got into Polmont I felt great so decided to keep going and do a half marathon. Did it in 1:57:48 which beats my time at the GNR a few years back. Legs are sore now!