P&b Running Club

That came and went just before I had to leave for my club training session tonight. Dodged one there! Speaking of which, it was a good 5x4min track session, each time making it a little further (all around 1100m). Nice to see I have some speed left now true_rover's showing me up on a Saturday morning!

Stu - rest is really the only thing for it. Where's the pain? If it's the outside, it might be an IT band issue and stretches/foam roller will help. I genuinely wouldn't bother with the doc - I have in the past - as 'rest' is all you'll get from them.

Pretty much, although he told me to start taking ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory - although a quick Google reveals it takes three weeks for that part of them to kick in!

Pretty scunnered with the whole thing.

Hit the 80 mile mark for runs this year. I know a few of you will do that in a couple of weeks but a decent achievement for me.

Never been running this consistently before and I'm finding it getting easier with each run. Already taken around a minute off my average pace per km so pretty happy with that. Signed up for Edinburgh half so time to get the mileage in. Longest run so far been around the 9 mile mark so should be okay.

Another 4km up the hills last night. Was absolutely hammering it down so had to take a slightly alternative route to avoid the mud paths, which meant a shorter run, but given I was utterly drenched I wasn't complaining.

I'd even be wary of using ibuprofen, Stu; less so if you're giving yourself proper time to heal, though. Have read some interesting articles (pinch of salt if you please) about the issues of using it to mask pain while continuing to run. Will try to find them when I'm not on my phone.

Nice one, richDFC. If you build on that 9-miler you'll be in decent shape for Edinburgh.

I'd even be wary of using ibuprofen, Stu; less so if you're giving yourself proper time to heal, though. Have read some interesting articles (pinch of salt if you please) about the issues of using it to mask pain while continuing to run. Will try to find them when I'm not on my phone.

Nice one, richDFC. If you build on that 9-miler you'll be in decent shape for Edinburgh.

I'm not even walking, let alone running, at the moment! On nice days (not that there are many of them) I'll usually walk the couple of miles to and from work but I've stopped that until this clears up. I don't like painkillers for something like this as it doesn't deal with the underlying problem. They seemed to work in the pain the first few days but even that seems to be wearing off!

Stu, it might be that you've done too much, too soon. You've obviously improved a lot to have gone from being able to run for just a few minutes to doing 11 mile runs, but when you push up the mileage too quickly you're at much higher risk of injury. If you've been doing regular exercse before, it might not be such a big deal, but the generally accepted rule is not to increase mileage by more than about 10% each week. You have to be careful with it, particularly so when you're new to runnng long distances, because the muscles and joints take a while to get used to the battering they get when you run.

Hopefully it won't be too long, but when you do get back to it, go easy on it for a couple of weeks and don't start back before you're ready. I realise that's a good one coming from me after my own recent injuries!

It's Saturday, so it must be time for a parkrun update: Portobello for me today, and a solid enough 19:35. Felt good, and it'll be the last time the legs are seriously tested until next Sunday in Brighton. Just a few easy runs to keep things ticking over.

A long awaited return to Pollok parkrun for me after my last visit resulting in an injury and DNF about 3 months ago! I was keen to set a benchmark time as I've been pleased with how things have been going recently and fitness improving. Very pleased with a 21:36 time and felt I paced it pretty well. I've always had the issue of taking over people on inclines and them taking over me on the downhills, for some reason this bugged me this morning. Am I the only person that runs uphills and downhills at a consistent pace? 

I feel the shorter distance is kinder on my knee, but I've always enjoyed the physical and mental challenges from longer runs. I reckon I'll concentrate on getting closer to my 5k PB (18:58) for now before considering any longer races. Just happy to be running injury free and without (much) pain.  :)

Aye, I'm the same with the uphill/downhill thing. I'm not quite equal pace on the two, but in races I pretty much always go past folk going uphill and get caught on the way down. It always annoys me as well.

Nice parkrun in Kirkcaldy yesterday. One of our regulars, who was there most weeks running or volunteering almost to the end, died last week. She was well known for her bright gear, so in tribute a lot of folk ran yesterday in stuff as bright and garish as they could find, including the guy who's the main organiser running in a pink tutu! I was timekeeping rather than running, but nice to be there regardless.

Good luck everyone with the marathons coming up in the next few weeks.

Nice parkrun in Kirkcaldy yesterday. One of our regulars, who was there most weeks running or volunteering almost to the end, died last week. She was well known for her bright gear, so in tribute a lot of folk ran yesterday in stuff as bright and garish as they could find, including the guy who's the main organiser running in a pink tutu! I was timekeeping rather than running, but nice to be there regardless.

What a fab tribute :)

I was marshalling at parkrun yesterday. Hoping to run it next weekend... holding off on sending an email offering to volunteer! Club session tomorrow night that I could potentially go to. Will get to club session on Wednesday for sure. Could be a better week for me in terms of mileage.

Nice and easy parkrun on Saturday, didn't push too hard, other than a sprint finish with someone else!

Grangemouth 10k this morning, and I'm happy with how that went - 39:24 for a 35 second PB! Delighted with that. Perfect course for it, almost perfectly flat and no scenery to distract!

On the BBC news website, there are inklings that a council are considering charging parkrunners £1 per run to run in their park - which goes against what parkruns are all about. Personally, if it wasn't for parkruns - I doubt I'd be running at all these days, and I certainly wouldn't have signed up for a half and full marathon this year. The motivation to get out there is a lot greater when there's lots of other people doing it. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36014525

Not sure how it could be enforced either. Good to see the Have Your Say comments are almost universally supportive. This person made a very good point:

So when it's time for the Olympics, we fork out £12bn of taxpayer money for what is basically a giant advert for Coca-Cola, Budweiser and McDonalds (hardly encouraging health and fitness!) but when ordinary folk want to get fit in the fresh air we'll make 'em pay.

I play table tennis regularly in Glasgow leisure centres and attended the Commonwealths. I thought after the event the "legacy" might be to leave the tables and nets behind, but sadly no. Still have to use the chipped, uneven tables with saggy, ripped nets.  

When Edinburgh Council hear about this they'll try and charge the parkruns £10 a head.  It should cover the cost of rebuilding all the schools.

I clicked into the comments, the first comment:

437. Posted by50shadesofearlgrey

onJust now

Better

to have runners

in your parks

than paedos

:lol:

How would they enforce it? What happens if you happen to be out running at the same time as a Park Run event is on? Will they ask you for a quid before letting you through the gates?

You're right that it's practically impossible to enforce. If 300 people decide to go for a run at the same time, there's nothing they can do about it. All they can really do is put pressure on Parkrun to not advertise it through their website / Facebook page. 

The only issue I've ever come across at a Parkrun involving a member of the public was at the incredibly narrow part beside the road, when a woman was taking a double-buggy through. However, the steward got everyone to stop to let her through and while there was a bit of jostling and whatnot, I didn't hear any complaints from anyone. 

I've often that you might get quite a fright when you're taking a leisurely stroll through, say, Pollok Park on a Saturday morn, and you suddenly see hundreds of runners thundering in your direction. 

You're right that it's practically impossible to enforce. If 300 people decide to go for a run at the same time, there's nothing they can do about it. All they can really do is put pressure on Parkrun to not advertise it through their website / Facebook page. 

The only issue I've ever come across at a Parkrun involving a member of the public was at the incredibly narrow part beside the road, when a woman was taking a double-buggy through. However, the steward got everyone to stop to let her through and while there was a bit of jostling and whatnot, I didn't hear any complaints from anyone. 

I've often that you might get quite a fright when you're taking a leisurely stroll through, say, Pollok Park on a Saturday morn, and you suddenly see hundreds of runners thundering in your direction. 

Clothesline the fucking lot of them.

Edited by Ross.

Currently building back up the distances I'm running but have had to stop at the 5 mile mark on my last two runs due to my left foot going numb. Have never experienced this before and have always been very active (including lots of running) so I'm a bit bemused. Any runners experienced this before?

Currently building back up the distances I'm running but have had to stop at the 5 mile mark on my last two runs due to my left foot going numb. Have never experienced this before and have always been very active (including lots of running) so I'm a bit bemused. Any runners experienced this before?

I sometimes get pins and needles in my feet but I usually just run through it and it goes away. If it didn't go away I'd stop. Maybe you are tying your laces too tightly? Maybe wear different socks?

I did a slow 10km tonight in the pissing rain. Quite enjoyed it though, the only weather I really dislike running in is high winds.